Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control lines

Old 01-13-2004, 04:42 PM
A1RENCH

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control lines

Hi Guys! I was just wondering if anyone knows the difference in the Brodak "ready to fly" cables
and their other cables? Are these cables as good as any, or do you recommend different cables?
I have been out of control line flying for a few years, and I don't know what happened to my cables. I think they were Sullivan cables, and all I had to do was add connectors to both ends.
The eyes were already installed. Is this how they all come? Don't want to order them and find out I have to assemble them because I don't know how to wrap them and I would not trust them!
Thanks!
A1rench
Old 01-13-2004, 08:32 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Control lines

A1rench,
Ready to fly means that the eyelets are already installed. That's why they are more expensive.
They work great but you may have to learn how to terminate lines if you need to adjust line length. The "official" termination method is found on the AMA website.
For now, the rtf's are probably your best bet. Brodak lines are top quality.

George
Old 01-16-2004, 09:26 AM
telmore

You might take a look at Tom Morris' control lines too - properly bound - not crimped - and may even be cheaper!

http://www.tomsbuildingservice.biz/

Tony
Old 01-17-2004, 04:05 PM
A1RENCH

Thanks for the info guys. One more question, which I asked a while back, but can't find the replies, is how to determine what length lines to fly with. I no longer have the plans, as my planes are from my younger days, and, as I said before, I can't find my old cables. I Have two planes with .15 engines, and several with .35 engines. I know I had three sets of cables, I think a 26' set for 1/2 A's, I think a 52' set for the .15's, and maybe 60' for the 35's. Does this sound right to you guys? What gauge cables do you use?
Old 01-17-2004, 06:13 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That sounds pretty close on length. You'll want .012's for the 15's and .015's for the 35's. After you get into it a bit you may want to get a reel (500 ft, 1500 ft, whatever) of line from Brodak or McMaster-Carr and some grommets to make up your own lines. There are several reasons to do this: (1) lines don't cost all that much, (2) lines with kinks, etc, can be replaced before they cost you an airplane, (3) being able to change line length is an important trimming tool. The proper line length gives you both the proper rotational speed and the proper line tension. After you fly a bit you can tell that a one foot change in line length makes a difference in how the airplane flys. As said, the AMA rulebook shows you how to wrap lines with fine wire (I use beading wire from the craft shop.) Your challenge is to figure out a fixture so you can do this quickly and easily. It takes me about 30 minutes to make up a set of lines, and I'm not too dexterous.

Jim