Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

How do you finish your balsa C/L?

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

How do you finish your balsa C/L?

Old 01-17-2004, 08:00 PM
FlyingPilgrim
My Feedback: (26)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you finish your balsa C/L?

OK, most r/c guys use a shrink film, but how do most of you c/l fellows prefer to finish your planes (solid and open bay areas)? I just did a 1/2a trainer in MonoKote because it's what I had lots of scraps of. Brodak talks about using Dope (or other paint) on the solids and Century Coverite fabric on open structures. I recall my dad using fabric with Dope over open bays. What's your favorite methods and why?

Pilgrim
Old 01-17-2004, 09:09 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: How do you finish your balsa C/L?

There are a bunch of ways of going about it. I've done some monocoat, but I prefer doing the whole thing with silk, tissue and/or silkspan and dope. The Stuka Stunt Works CL Forum has a lot of discussion of finishing methods.

Jim
Old 01-18-2004, 11:22 AM
Clean

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: How do you finish your balsa C/L?

On solid surfaces, I've been using rustoleum. Seal the base with a thinned mixture of lightweight spackling and water. Sand smooth and then hit it with Rustoleum sandable primer from the ole rattle can. Sand that smooth and hit it again. A little 200 grit to smooth the rough edges and hit it with whatever solid color Rustoleum you like in whatever pattern you like. It's ready for a second coat in an hour or so, read the can, and ready for taping the next day. 5-7 days after you've sprayed it is fuelproof to around 25%, I haven't had any problems with it and 25% fuel.