Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Please suggest a model

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 10:52 AM
RTDillon
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please suggest a model

Folks,

I would appreciate some advice.

I have a Jett Sport 40 with tuned muffler and the large C/L venturi. This will need fuel tank pressure to run correctly.

What C/L ship would you recommend for it?

I was thinking of an ARF Nobler for that kind of flying and a slow combat bird for getting crazy.
My reflexes need practise before getting a fast combat wing!

I am just getting back into the C/L hobby after 25 years and using the resources on hand first.

1 Tee Dee 051
1 Fox C/L BB 25
1 Jett Sport 40
Old 01-19-2004, 03:14 PM
BMatthews

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Default RE: Please suggest a model

My own feeling is that the Jett would be much too powerfull for the Nobler unless it is happy running very rich. The Nobler was sized originally for the low power of a Fox 35 running in a rich 4 stroke mode. The Jett may not be happy running the same way.

The slow combat sport type model would be a much better match up to the Jett. But I hope it's not your first control line model or it will almost certainly have a very short life span. Things happen fast when your average flying height is only 20 feet. You may want to look into a trainer for one of the other engines first.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:03 PM
MrMotor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Fox 25BB would be a better power match for the Nobler ARF or the Flite Streak ARF.
Old 01-20-2004, 12:53 AM
RTDillon

OOOH! A Flite Streak ARF? Who makes that one?[X(]
Old 01-20-2004, 04:26 AM
telmore

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDVF3&P=7
Old 01-22-2004, 03:58 PM
PipeMajor
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: RTDillon

Not only that, but rumor is many more C/L ARFs are on their way!

Brodak is about to issue several prototypes including the full fuse stunter Oriental and the competion calibre profile stunter Cardinal.
Old 01-22-2004, 11:37 PM
Elwyn

Top Flite(aka Great Planes)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59704.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	93354  
Old 01-23-2004, 03:08 AM
Old Sourdough

Default Brodak ARF's

PM,

Below is a picture of the three Brodak ARF prototypes. The picture is stolen from a thread at the SSW CL Forum:

[link=http://www.clstunt.com/htdocs/dcforum/DCForumID1/7600.html]A couple more KOI pics[/link]

The picture shows three planes. the Profile Cardinal at the rear, the Oriental in the center and the Baby Clown in front. Specifications for the three planes (as kits) are:

[link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=CLP-47&catagory=172&maincatagory=2]Brodak Cardinal[/link]

[link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=CLB-2-9&catagory=176&maincatagory=2]Oriental[/link]

[link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=CLP-11&catagory=181&maincatagory=2]Baby Clown[/link]

Prices are not available as of this time, but the estimate for the ARF Oriental is $110±.

That should get your juices flowing!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78472.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	93378  
Old 01-24-2004, 12:01 AM
RTDillon

I'm thinking about putting my Fox BB 25 on a ARF Flite Streak and later putting the Jett Sport 40 on a Cardinal ARF.
Do these sound like reasonable ideas?

Once this is done, I will surely need assistance for my fitst few flights. I'm made contact with a few people in Texas but not anyone in Dallas yet. I intend to go to the local club and get involved there.
Old 01-24-2004, 08:54 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Jett 40 on a cardinal in not reasonable at all. For one thing it is not capable of running well at the slower speed that you need to fly the pattern. The jet 40's recommended prop is a 10/6 at 16.5K. If you purchased a venturi from Dubb it is for a bladder as it's entirely too big for suction. Richard Oliver does work on the new Bar Stock Jetts and has smaller bore venturi that might do better for you. Still in it's stock configuration I don't see it happening. If you have your instructions you will see that Dubb recomends rpm,rpm,rpm, don't lug the motor. Dennis
Old 01-24-2004, 09:29 AM
Elwyn

The 25BB on the ARF Streak will really get it moving. A friend has one with an FP25 that runs 75 MPH which is about a 3.5 second lap on 60 foot lines. Of course a lot a flyers like their Streaks fast and that is the way many were flown in the past. I've got an old Enya 19 on mine and it's getting a 4.4 second lap on 55 foot lines which is plenty fast for me. I did have to add a trim tab to the outbaord wing to get it grooving level but it flies great now. Mine ended up about 23 ounces with no landing gear used.
Old 01-24-2004, 11:15 PM
Kiwi

The Jett 40 as delivered is a high power, high rpm engine. OS VF 40's, which are also engines designed to run in the high rpm manner, have been used with success with tuned pipe exhausts. Mac mufflers produces a line of mini-pipe one piece muffler systems that seem to work like bigger pipes when attached to medium rpm engines such as the OS FP series. Yes, I do I believe that Richard Oliver does sell a pipe setup of the RO-Jett.

Pipe setups get complicated. They are expensive, and the ones used for CL are comparatively short-lived, especially at the relatively expensive cost of each such pipe.

Medium rpm engines can sometimes be successfully used for CL aerobatics with the same carbon fiber props used with piped setups. In this case, the engines are allowed to run at comparatively fast speeds, while the props have low pitch setting to keep the speed of the plane in a reasonable zone.

Old 01-26-2004, 12:22 AM
RTDillon

Everyone, thanks for the advice on the Jett motor. I think I will put the it away until I am ready for unlimited combat.
This engine does have the large venturi designed for a bladder the factory pipe which I was told is basically a tuned exhaust.
This should be fine for fast combat when I am ready.

I am going to order the ARF Flite Streak for the BB 25 Fox.

I also have a an OS FP-15 that is setting in a box. (Never run)
Would that engine be hard to convert to C/L? I tried to find a venturi, etc. but had no luck. (Just a thought.)
Old 01-26-2004, 08:15 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Would that engine be hard to convert to C/L? I tried to find a venturi, etc. but had no luck. (Just a thought.)
The OSFP-15 parts are available from Tower. They used to sell the engine in CL version as the FP-S. They should still have parts. The FP-S has been replaced by the LA-S but the venturi parts will fit. You could set it up for remote needle if you so desire.
You also have the option of wiring the throttle open and run as is.
Awhile back someone posted that the OS 15 will pull the ARF Flite Streak. I THINK they were using 52' x .012 lines and using it for stunt. That combo wouldn't do much for you as a combat trainer though.

George
Old 02-02-2004, 05:44 PM
slammin_sam

I have the Nobler ARF with a Brodak 40 on it. I do have to run it rich to slow it down but it works out well. I've just gotten back into C/L after a little over 25 years and found it's just like riding a bicycle (well almost). I joined the club that John Brodak has in Charmichaels, Pa. I've seen the Oriental flown by Bob Zambelli in late December. It had the Brodak 40 on it. It flew great and only weighed 34 Oz. John will have his ARFs ready for sale in early March. His second group will include the Smoothie and a couple of others. You will be able to choose the color scheme you want or be able to get one without covering. Check out his web site and get your order in soon. They're going like hotcakes (well almost).
Old 05-03-2004, 06:23 PM
docsteam

My Flite Streak ARF arrived a few days ago, and I'm well pleased with it....especially at the price. Must be making them in China?

Since it has been nearly 45 years since I've flown C/L, and since I'm not as fast on my feet as I was in the good ol' days, I'm putting a PAW .19 diesel on the Streak and using 60' .015 lines.

Do any of you old hands see a problem with this setup?

Ron
Old 05-04-2004, 06:39 AM
gcb

Ron,
I remember the late George Aldrich (designer of Flite Streak) mentioning on several forums that he especially liked the PAW .19 in the Flite Streak. I believe he used more than normal out thrust (15°, I think) so he could fly it in the wind. Don't think he mentioned line size.

George
Old 05-04-2004, 07:24 AM
docsteam

George...

Thanks for the info on the Flite Streak. I see you are in NY...what part? I'm between Ithaca and Binghamton and sure would like to find some kindred spirits to fly with.

Ron
Old 05-04-2004, 10:41 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone, thanks for the advice on the Jett motor. I think I will put the it away until I am ready for unlimited combat.
This engine does have the large venturi designed for a bladder the factory pipe which I was told is basically a tuned exhaust.
This should be fine for fast combat when I am ready.

Actually you won't be able to use it for fast combat either. The max size if I'm not mistaken is a 36. Now if rat racing was still going strong you would have a motor for that event. One of the problems with the jett is it's heavy and there really isn't an event in C/L for this motor. I have the same set up you have but will make a plane for it just to enjoy it. Dennis
Old 05-04-2004, 11:21 AM
MrMotor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is an event for "go fast" 40s in C/L. It is called Class I Carrier. You just need to add an effective throttling system to the engine so it will kind of idle.
Old 05-04-2004, 10:24 PM
gcb

ORIGINAL: docsteam
George...
Thanks for the info on the Flite Streak. I see you are in NY...what part? I'm between Ithaca and Binghamton and sure would like to find some kindred spirits to fly with.

Ron
Ron,
I'm about half way between NY and Albany on the left side of the Hudson river.

George
Old 05-08-2004, 04:52 PM
docsteam

George,

I was hoping you might live closer to us. You are a long haul from the Binghamton/Ithaca area. Oh well.......

Ron