Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

McCoy 35 series 21

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2004, 09:37 PM
skywriter
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy 35 series 21

Hello.im a new poster here..been lurking in the radio control area for a while.......a few weeks ago i picked up a framed up trainer (eaglet 50, and a A.M. radio, and a new K.B motor 20 i think and a McCoy control line engine new in the box. its a black head says testors mccoy 35 has a new woodgrain looking box, and even still has the hang tag on the glow plug. Somewhere over the years the needle valve got lost out of the box...however i found them for sale at MECOA for like under 10 bucks....anyway..are they decent motors? or should i unload it to a collector on ebay? any idea what its worth? i dont fly control line, has a few as a kid, but not in 30 yrs....i might consider trying 1 ..... ....my kids would probly enjoy it.....anyway any advice would be appreciated.......
Old 03-23-2004, 10:04 PM
RRyan

Default RE: McCoy 35 series 21

Skywritter,

You'll get mixed reviews on this engine. They were that last of the Testor's engines and unfortunately they were "styled" rather then designed. They're heavy but actually run quite well though the rings were pretty short lived. They don't command allot but I would think a NIB specimen would take 40-50 bucks.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:29 AM
skywriter
My Feedback: (2)

o.k then ill probly go ahead and get a decent pic taken, and post it on here first. If it doesnt sell here ill put it on Ebay. its a shame it doesnt have a bolt on venturi, id try a carb on it, but im not gonna destroy the motor over it...by doing machine work to it, although it wouldnt be that difficult...besides it doesnt have a muffler, and id probly have to bolt a Tatone peace pipe on it or something like that.....not really worth the trouble, and im sure someone would be interested, even if just for display. the compression isnice and tight, and it isnt all gummed up like most older motors, that havent been used .....must not be that old........i bought a new in the box old, old o.s. 10MAX the other day that was actually stuck from dried lube, had to wash it down with w.d 40 to loosen it up......a goodcleanup with marvels oil it was like new again......anyway thanks for the advice
Old 05-01-2006, 08:09 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you sell it? I know this is an old post. It was actually a good engine, but heavy, had a dykes ring which made it hard to start hot, but OK cold. Lots of power. It was well designed, it was heavy because of the thick steel finned sleeve, not (so much) the square case. Good sport engine. Can't say how well it would have lasted because back then I had a MTBMC (Maximum Time Between Major Crash) of about 2 years. So all engines lasted less than two years. If the rings are soft you should be able to get them from Mecoa or Bowman. I wouln't mind buying it if you still have it.