Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

How close can you fly to power lines safely ?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

How close can you fly to power lines safely ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2004, 01:52 AM
Jackjet
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How close can you fly to power lines safely ?

Does anyone know if flying 100 ft. from a 765,000 volt ac powerline is safe or not ? Is there a chance of electrocution ? Will the electricity "arc" to the steel lines ? Will there be a induction shock hazard ?

Thanks,
Jackjet
Old 04-14-2004, 03:11 AM
William Robison
My Feedback: (3)

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: How close can you fly to power lines safely ?

Jack:

If you look at the transmission lines, and their distance from the tower, you will see the separation is 10' at most.

Even if it is you standing 100' from the tower, using 70' lines means you still have more than 50' clearance. (Consider the triangle - 100' horizontal from a 100' tower, 144' from you to the tower's top.) And inductive transfer is a non consideration at 60 Hertz.

Anyway, if the power doesn't jump the 10' gap it surely will not jump the far greateer distance to your plane.

But I wouldn't want to be within 100' of your 765,000 volt lines. Even the 4400 volt local transmission lines make me a bit anxious.

Bill.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:19 AM
Jackjet

William,
thanks for your answer. I called So Cal Edison and was told the safe distance was 1000ft. Those insulators on the steel tower 765 kv line are 27 ft. long - so that electricity is ALWAYS trying to find a way to ground - sure do not want it to be by me though........I will just find another place to fly without any wires around.

Jackjet
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yv66027.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	122091  
Old 04-15-2004, 08:51 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you look at the transmission lines, and their distance from the tower, you will see the separation is 10' at most.
Whoaa! The seperation between the lines isn't that important, look at the seperation from the ground! Seperation between the lines isn't as much because they are either the same potiential, or grounded. I think it best if you stay well over 100 feet away, or 170 from center of circle to the edge of the outer most wire. I think Sulivan got sued from someone flying to close to ultra high voltage lines and they now include some information on this, might give them a call.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:54 AM
Sport_Pilot

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

I called So Cal Edison and was told the safe distance was 1000ft.
That sounds like a bit too much. else why are the towers much less than 1000 feet tall?
Old 04-15-2004, 02:06 PM
PipeMajor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jackjet

Does anyone know if flying 100 ft. from a 765,000 volt ac powerline is safe or not ? Is there a chance of electrocution ? Will the electricity "arc" to the steel lines ? Will there be a induction shock hazard ?

Thanks,
Jackjet
Would YOU be comfortable conducting an experiment to see how close your steel lines could get to a 765K volt powerline before it fried you? [X(][X(][X(]
Old 04-16-2004, 08:43 AM
Sport_Pilot

I don't think I would be conducting an experment. Else you would be doing the same every time you drive under these lines. In fact I am pretty sure 100 feet is the recommendation.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:25 PM
DoubleUgly

Not to change the subject gentalmen it is positivily electrifying.....(que drums) Thank you Thank you... but that sundowners phantom looks awesome Jackjet. How does the old brick fly in RC form?
Old 04-16-2004, 05:16 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Sport_Pilot

...I think Sulivan got sued from someone flying to close to ultra high voltage lines and they now include some information on this, might give them a call.
Might you be thinking of the folks who made the E-Z 'Just handles? From what I understand, the court settlement is why the E-Z Just handles are no longer available.

George
Old 04-16-2004, 08:42 PM
Sport_Pilot

I thought it had something to do with electrocution. Maybe because the user touch's the cable of the EZ Just handle?
Old 04-18-2004, 09:15 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Nope, the electrofiley using the EZjust had ahold of the handle when the plane went into the powerlines. The wife, sueish maximus everyoneish, sued everybody including god for the stupidity of her husband and EZjust evidently didn't have a policy that covered stupid users, hence their removal from business.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:50 PM
Jackjet

ORIGINAL: DoubleUgly

Not to change the subject gentalmen it is positivily electrifying.....(que drums) Thank you Thank you... but that sundowners phantom looks awesome Jackjet. How does the old brick fly in RC form?

D.U. ,
thanks - it flew really well - untill I crashed it at El Mirage 2 years ago - damn............my fault. May it R.I.P.

Jackjet
Old 04-18-2004, 12:51 PM
Jackjet

Thanks to Everyone for your answers.
Old 04-19-2004, 05:04 PM
hothandle

The voltage to ground for a 765kV line (assuming a grounded Y) is about 442kV.

Even though the conductors have the same voltage, those voltages are 120 degrees apart. There is a greater potential between the phases 765kV than there is between the phases and you 442kV (ground). Air has an insulating ability (dielectric strength) of about 1000kV/meter.

That being said, I personally would not fly my airplane within 200ft of a 765kV powerline (which makes me 260ft away). You could get a tingle if there was a switching surge, or lightning strike on that line.

hothandle
Old 04-20-2004, 03:38 AM
Jackjet

ORIGINAL: hothandle

The voltage to ground for a 765kV line (assuming a grounded Y) is about 442kV.

Even though the conductors have the same voltage, those voltages are 120 degrees apart. There is a greater potential between the phases 765kV than there is between the phases and you 442kV (ground). Air has an insulating ability (dielectric strength) of about 1000kV/meter.

That being said, I personally would not fly my airplane within 200ft of a 765kV powerline (which makes me 260ft away). You could get a tingle if there was a switching surge, or lightning strike on that line.

hothandle

Hothandle,
that makes the effective voltage from phase to phase something like over 1,400,000 volts ! Man that could arc AT LEAST 75 feet - and once it got started - it could be drawn out MUCH farther than that...........because it would be under load - like 3000 amps of current .
That's instant death on contact ! I would be vaporized........! Damn...! I better go fly somewhere else......

Jackjet

>>Edited to correct html error. wr.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87678.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	124392