Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Highflyingguy and his trusty Barnstormer.

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Highflyingguy and his trusty Barnstormer.

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 08:51 AM
tperry2054
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Highflyingguy and his trusty Barnstormer.

Jerry,

Re: your Barnstormer and LA 25.

What kind of lap times are you getting with that combo with the 9-5 prop? Have you an approximate weight of the Barnstormer ready to go? I just bought a dozen of the same prop off ebay and was going to try them on some of my engines.
I have several OSMAX .35-S and the 9-6 and 10-6 the lap times are a little to fast for me. I will soon have two more of these engines as Leonard will be sending me the new conrods he had made up. I run these engines with a 10% nitro, 29% castor oil fuel and they do pretty well on them. If you need a few more of these props let me know via email and I'll fix you up.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 10-04-2004, 10:43 AM
highflyinguy

Default RE: Highflyingguy and his trusty Barnstormer.

Tom, I did not have a stop watch when I flew, but did try to time it buy mentally counting, best guess was 4.8 sec to 5.1 with the 9x5 APC prop, ideling at 10,200 with a slight break into 4 cycle, at launch and flying turned into a wet 2 cycle.

The APC 9x4 seemeed a bit slow and had to launch at 10,400 which was at a full 2 cycle idel and flight. Remember I am flying at 10.500 ft, the air is thinner up here.

I tried a Zinger 9x4 and it barly was able to maintain flight, which was scarey and made for a long flicht in 10 MPH winds, the Zinger checked out at 3.35 on my pitch guage. I am going to try sanding on the trail edge to make it a true 9x4, I have done that with other Zinger props for my .40 engines. I do like Zingers, but just started using APC, they are a bit heavier, but not as Dity Dan calls the Zingers, "kit props".

I used Sig 10% Champion fuel unaltered, except for adding two dropps of Arorall to keep it from foaming.

As I am unemployed as of today, I dont have access to a good scale, like the mailing scale I used to use at work, all I can say is it feels a lot lighter than any planes like a Twister or Banchee, but in those days I was building pigs. I will try to get an accurate weight and let you know.

Thanks for the offer for the props, I would like to do some more flight tunning befor picking a My Barnstormer regular flying prop. I can get the local USA Hobby Town in my city to order what I need but had to make a special trip to Denver after my last day at work, which is inbetween Denver and Longmont where I live, to get the 9x4 and 9x5's that I used for my last succesful flights. I even got a couple Master airscrews but their 9x4 pitch was way low and I think they woud make the plane fly slower than the Zinger's supposed 9x4's.

Thanks for your help and I'll get back to yon that weight, Jerry

Just filed for unemloyment, first time in my life but I have 2 more years till early SS. I'm going to take my time and try to find a company who needs a senior automated machine repair person that pays them decently. Mainly, I need the health insurance for the Mrs. and myself.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:44 PM
tperry2054
My Feedback: (15)

I hear that on the health insurance. I was let go in April and got a fair severance package. I collected 1 week unemployment for the first time in my life. I was called back after three months, with a new attitude I might add. I was let go because "they had no use of my talents" I didn't fight them at the time but did explain to them that I never cared for the political game that was going on at my place of employment and I thought they were being ill served by some others in the organization. I am back with the same company now and with a pay raise. Some times things work out. I do have the advantage of medical care for life. I'm a twenty year Navy veteran and although some of my benifits have eroded in the last couple of decades the medical least of all. I think we are about the same age and I will be taking early SS in AUG 2006, if I live that long. I just hope I croak before SWMBO.

Tom
Old 10-04-2004, 09:21 PM
highflyinguy

Tom, My company just closed down. They gave us two weeks notice about the closing. Don't know about any severence pay and have three weeks vacation time coming. I 'm going to a personel meeting with the owner Thursday to pick up my final pay check. At least my health insurance is good thru October.
I was in the Navy for six years, and made First Class Missle Firecontroman, I enjoyed the job, but not all the roving patrol mid watches, and sea time during Nam. My billet was 4 yerars at sea duty, two years shore duty till I were to have retired. Too much sea time for this kid.

I was so Po'd at the government for Nam that I just wanted out of there. Two Nam cruises and not one missile ( Terrier) fired although we tracked and locked on migs like crazy, out of Hifong Harbor. True politics that got a lot of people killed and caused us to bail out of there and appear like we couln't blow the place off the face of the earth.
Enough ranting, I'm still po'd about it.
I will not forget to get that Barnstormer weight, maeby get it when I pick up my pay check.
Was the rest of the information what you needed? Hope I can help you for a change.

Jerry