Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Control line losing popularity? So what!

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control line losing popularity? So what!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2004, 02:05 PM
tperry2054
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control line losing popularity? So what!

Hey all,

I enjoy control line. If others do also, all the better. I am teaching my grand kids control line flying. If it takes fine, if it doesn't oh well. I seem to see a resurgence of CL in the last few years. I believe a lot of it is due to the ability to communicate via the Internet. I'm a retread that just got back into CL after a thirty-year layoff. A year ago November my wife had my son get into the attic in preparation for Christmas decorating. Later while enjoying a cup of coffee he asked "Pop waddaya gonna do with all that old airplane stuff in the attic?" I thought about it for a while and got on the Internet and located a few modeling sites and ebay.

One of the first things I discovered was that I had a small fortune up in the attic. I sold a couple of dozen kits for about 10 times what I paid for them. The engines the same. I discovered the engines box was worth about 40 to 50 bucks in some cases as I sold a brand new ST G21 35 for $75 with out box and $125 with. Same with the Fox combat specials. I also bought a few engines, mostly OS 40FP. 40/46 LA, 35s and 20/25 FPs.

I had a great deal of balsa stored in the attic along with plywood, piano wire, wheels etc. It was like early Christmas. I had last flown in the late 60s early 70s. I found out the Norfolk Aeromodelers were still in existence so I started back to the once a month meetings and got my feet wet modeling again.

I made a couple of discoveries right off; flying is a lot easier when you are 20 or thirty than when you are 60. I also found out for some of us at least it is difficult to get up off one knee with out using both hands. I was once a pretty good combat flyer but found out that my combat career ended a long time ago, hence my selling the engines on ebay. I managed to cobble together some scratch built profiles that actually flew and look forward to an even better flying season next year.

I don't really think I would have gotten back into modeling if I had had to spend a lot of money to do it. But being able to by and sell on ebay helped. As a matter of fact I am still money ahead. I also prefer to build my own either completely from scratch or plans.

What ever happens to CL will happen. If you enjoy it, enjoy it. It won't completely die until you quit or die. Please don't take this post the wrong way. I will do anything I can to encourage CL modeling and help others of a like mind. I just refuse to be down in the dumps over worrying about the demise of Control Line Flying.

This link will take you to some pictures of models built for the building contest last March held by the Norfolk Aeromodelers:

http://groups.msn.com/NorfolkAeromod...ngcontest.msnw

Tight Lines,

Tom Perry
Old 12-02-2004, 07:25 PM
RCPAUL
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Control line losing popularity? So what!

Control line is a good facet of the overall modelling hobby. I started in UC in 1949 with an Aeromite. Flew til about 1965 then went on to RC only to return a couple of years ago. Not done much since due to medical problems.

Both PAMPA (CL precision Aerobatics) and AMA have experienced decreasing membership. The reason - not really known but RC park fliers and the like may be a factor.

Enjoy the part of the hobby you like - there are no right answers!

Paul
Old 12-02-2004, 10:24 PM
rw Guinn

There seems to be no shortage of helpers when you fire one up at a park or school yard (At least where it is legal to do so), So it ain't necessarily dying
Old 12-05-2004, 11:01 PM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have just got on this forum for the first time and designated control line as I was told there was some good stuff there. Boy wait intil I ask them if they have heard of this RCPAUL charactor. I don't beleive I would want to meet him or her or what ever it is. I had another individual that told me control line was dull. I challanged that individual to fly the pattern or even fly two up with me. He walked off muttering to himself. Thankful I have not seen that individual since at either the RC field or the control line circle. I admire the guys that grew up in modeling and at least tried the different facets of it. FF, RC and Control Line is modeling in different forms. I would love to see the new RC modeler trim a simple free flight or even loop a control line. I have tried all modeling and have never left control line. My excuse is that when I crash I only have to walk so far to pick up the pieces and put them back together. I know a couple of people still looking for their RC and/or FF. Enough said, DOC

PS:Going back to the Stunt Forum where there are fewer snobs.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

?

George
Old 12-06-2004, 11:48 AM
highflyinguy

Don't get why you dislike RCPaul, he da man. Aint no snooties in dis patch, more on Stuka.
So long, guess hateful folk is hateful folks.
Is it be tru the state tree in Kansass be da telpone pole?
Ol'Bubba
Old 12-06-2004, 12:21 PM
tperry2054

Did RCPAUL pee in your wheaties?

Tight Lines,

Tom
Old 12-06-2004, 04:36 PM
RRyan

I'm one of those guys that's done this all my life, all diciplines. I wish I had the stamina to fly events like I used to but I don't. I hate to say it but I think we're going to see a general decline in modeling of all types in the next 10-15 years and here's why. In the 30's 40's and even into the 50' we stopped, everyone stopped and looked up when an airplane flew over.They were facinating, they were cool with a capital C. My freinds all thought so as did I. My fascination has lasted a lifetime, most didn't. The facination of airplanes today isn't there, find a kid and point out a Stearman flying overhead and see what kind of response you get, probably a "so what?". This is true in the vast majority of cases much unlike back when airplanes were the latest, greatest and attainable technology. Sorry to say it, but when the new wears off of the ARcs and ARFs they will leave just like they came, with a passing interest while me and guys like me shake our heads not understanding how they could possible walk away from so much fun.
Old 12-06-2004, 06:37 PM
Jim Thomerson

Well, yes, But how do you explain the continued popularity of model trains? I'll bet if you check out hobby shops in the phone book you will find more places to buy model train stuff than to buy model airplane stuff. What do those people have going for them that we don't?

Here is my optomistic prediction. Someone will put a capable complete electric Cl trainer on the market and a fair number of people will buy it. There will be the emergence of quality electric ARF's. Electric CL will begin to be perceived as a park-flier like activity, but safer because of the tethered condition. There are already competitive electric stunters. Eventually the the expert level of CL will be dominated by electrics and we "slimers" will be discriminated against. In spite of the great dieoff of the present CL fliers, in ten years there will be more CL fliers than there are now.

Jim (still flying diesel and glow, in spite of it all)
Old 12-06-2004, 07:19 PM
RRyan

Jim,

I can't answer the train question except that steam trains still hold an air of romance about them the airplanes seem to have lost. In part I hope you prediction is true, but I doubt it. I hope the hobby survives but not electric. I know I may be sounding myown death knell, but electrics have as much attraction to me as electric cars, meal worm farming and portajohn cleaning, zero. I'm gonna enjoy it in its traditional form as long as I can, then I guess I see about the trains.
Old 12-06-2004, 07:41 PM
RCPAUL

Did I say something wrong? jehold66203 must have thought I did?!

I also don't know what the fascination of railroad modeling is but I have seen a few setups that were impressive. Maybe the artsy scenery. Also, plastic models which I understand makes all the hobbies small in comparison for the dollars spent. Or, RC cars - just look at a Tower catalog and see how much space is devoted to this area of the hobby.

Paul
Old 12-06-2004, 10:14 PM
gcb

In our local area (Kingston, NY) there is a VERY old model train club. Every year they open up to the public during November and charge admission as a fund raiser. I took my kids there when they were little, and take my grandkids now.
They are a bunch of nice guys and I doubt that the club will cease. Although I am not a member and trains is not my hobby, I appreciate their layout and DO notice the subtle changes they make to it.

I sure wish there was a CL club here too.

George
Old 12-07-2004, 06:23 PM
hothandle

Are the control line circles still over at Swope Park? There used to be a club "Flying Eagles" in Kansas City, Kansas, and there was a circle that the county made next to a ball park 5 or 6 miles West of down town Kansas City, Kansas on the main street in KCK. The county had cut out the side of a hill and poured a concrete center and a couple of concrete pads to take off from. Is any of this stuff still there?

Hothandle
Old 12-07-2004, 09:52 PM
cltom

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL

Did I say something wrong? jehold66203 must have thought I did?!

I also don't know what the fascination of railroad modeling is but I have seen a few setups that were impressive. Maybe the artsy scenery. Also, plastic models which I understand makes all the hobbies small in comparison for the dollars spent. Or, RC cars - just look at a Tower catalog and see how much space is devoted to this area of the hobby.

Paul
People read other threads besides the one they're in. You may not have made a specific remark in this thread to draw DOC's ire, but in the other "Why is CL losing popularity?" thread you made some very provocative statments. I'm sure DOC had read a lot before he chose to post. Making statements like:

"UC adds old men to its roster who die quickly.",
"UC will be like Wakefield in 10 years - still here but who cares.", and
"UC fliers are living in a dream world,"

do not foster good will.

The post you made in this thread, compared to the posts in the other thread, makes you seem bi-polar. You might take some time to check the statistics. The AMA member's median age is 57.5, I believe. Since the overwhelming majority of members are RC flyers, what does that say about age comparisons? Lack of youth is a problem endemic to the whole sport. Control line has no monopoly on it, and beating up on each other does no one any good.
Old 12-07-2004, 11:28 PM
tperry2054

George there is a club, it just has a membership of one right now and hasn't been named yet.

Try leaving a card or two at your LHS with your name and phone number and see if you can find any like minded souls.

Tight Lines,

Tom
Old 12-08-2004, 09:32 AM
RCPAUL

CLTOM - you were correct to take me to task for the tone of my earlier comments. As I recall, I had just received some flaming E-mails from a couple of avid UCs chastising me for saying I left UC in the 50s for the challenge of RC (at least as I saw it). However, that is not meant as an excuse - I should have tempered my comments in a better fashion.

So, lets look again at my statements as you noted in your post:

!QUOT!UC adds old men to its roster who die quickly.!QUOT!,
!QUOT!UC will be like Wakefield in 10 years - still here but who cares.!QUOT!, and
!QUOT!UC fliers are living in a dream world,!QUOT!

UC adds old men to its roster who die quickly

Most of the increase in UC recently has been old guys like me returning to that aspect of the hobby - called retreads. Most do no plan to challenge the Paul Walkers of the world but merely to enjoy the sport aspect of the hobby - perhaps along with other aspects and not full time. Unfortunately, again like me, they will not be around for the long haul and represent only a temporary influx. Where are the young people? Look at Stunt News and you see very few. UC is a doers sport/hobby not a spectator activity so it does not and will not attract the casual public. To them it is ultimately boring for the most part and perhaps even an annoyance!

UC will be like Wakefield in 10 years - still here but who cares

Free Flight is almost gone compared to its peak in the 30s and 40s. From discussions on SSW, UC competitors do not want PAMPA (the major UC SIG) to champion getting new blood into UC - they expect AMA to carry this torch - yeah, right! In fact, there is a strong controversy about John Brodak's actions in PAMPA which might be to broaden this organization (it is not clear to me what John is attempting but I'd support him if this was the case. Yes, I'm a PAMPA member.). If something is not done, do you really think UC has any real future other than a few stragglers - yes, like Wakefield is today.

UC fliers are living in a dream world

Yes, I feel they (we?) are. So much talk about maintaining the status quo, the purity of the sport, the refinement of 40-year old rules. That this aspect of the hobby will continue to grow without doing anything proactive. In my opinion, John Brodak has been the one driving force stimulating UC in recent years. (I'll probably get flamed for saying that too.) PAMPA is showing a slow decline as well as AMA. I believe most of PAMPA members are sport flyers.

I have flown competitive UC, FF and RC over the many years in the hobby. I have to put my UC and RC equipment away (temporarily, I hope), due to health issues. Instead, I'll be building some rubber FF. I'm a PAMPA member, AMA CD, Leader Member, and AMA Distinguished Service Award recipient. I will be always in some part of this hobby - it has been a big part of my life. I'm sorry my earlier, poorly thought out, remarks upset some.

Paul
Old 12-08-2004, 12:14 PM
cltom

Paul,

No problem. I get carried away with the rhetoric myself. As a matter of fact, I agree with everything you've written in this last post - particularly your views on PAMPA vs. AMA and furthering the CL sport in general (who will besides Brodak?).

It seems to me that RC has always been Free-Flight minus the fly-away. So, I am not surprised that FF is disappearing. There are certain aspects that should always be preserved, though - the purity of rubber (you mentioned), and hand-launch gliders. I am sure there are others, but even the Indoor category is attacked these days with RC micro-electrics.

I am hopeful, though, that there may be some other factors in play for control line. The connection during flight is unique - similar to FF's HLG and Rubber. I also think the nostalgia has a bigger factor. Classic stunt designs offer a glimpse into a past and style that became fairly refined - unlike FF and RC during that period.

Like you, if it's a model airplane, I've flown it and found it enjoyable - regardless of type. Yet, you did kind've gloss over my last paragraph. In it, I expressed concerned that the "age" thing is a problem with the whole hobby - not just CL or FF.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:51 PM
RCPAUL

CLTOM

Yes, the age of AMA in general is too old (in my opinion). There is just too many other things for the youth of today to follow.

RC is also suffering, in a sense. I love glow power - the smell - the sound - the vibration, I guess. RC Pattern is declining from what I've read - too expensive, too demanding. The number of RC kits is declining as well. The growth seems to me to be in RC park fliers and other RC electrics. Lots of ARFs, no effort, easy to fly. Do they need AMA and its insurance - I doubt it.

Back to CL. I bought a Brodak Pathfinder kit. I think it was $70 at the LHS. The wood was poor - heavy in the wrong places and punky in the wrong places. I compared it to a Great planes kit on SSW at half the price and twice the complexity and amount of materials. Plus - lots of errors. I got flamed big time!!

So, I sent a note to John Brodak - his response - he offered to refund my money and thanked me for pointing out the errors. I didn't take him up on his offer as I was just getting back into this aspect of the hobby and anything I built would be fine and I had started the kit. But, it was the thought. Latter, I met John at a local meet - this guy has UC in his heart, not in his wallet!

I love UC - but I also love RC and FF!

Paul
Old 12-09-2004, 02:11 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: RCPAUL
Later, I met John at a local meet - this guy has UC in his heart, not in his wallet!

Paul
Plus he holds probably the world's largest CL fly-in at his home every year over Father's Day weekend.

George
Old 12-09-2004, 08:31 AM
cltom

Paul -

Agree 100% again. I like SSW, but I think many of them have lost sight to the reality of business. They're so spoiled in the quality of their cottage industries, that they have no concept of their expense and the insignificant exposure to the general hobby. (I do marvel at the apparent fact that several have quit their day jobs in preference to their control line cottage businesses.)
Old 12-10-2004, 12:46 PM
highflyinguy

I love it all, but my n-scale trains are for the winter when park flyers, R/C and controline are hard to accomlplish. The park flyers are for when I just want to play and relax, plus I don't need a special place to fly I am building a R/C Sig MidStar 40 but its on low priority. I used to fly R/C regularly 15 years ago but nowdays there again permenent flying sites are hard to come byin my area. I'll just keep pluggin away and having a ball with all.
I am assembling a Brodak ARF Cardinal, not real fond if its construction, but my mods will make it a good plane. Also building a Brodak P-Oriental, nice kit. Flying my Barnstormer and gettin the OS LA 25, tuned in the summer makes it the Man, for winter flying.
I'm not real fond of the AMA, cost too much for a non-contest limited income dude like my self. At least it covers every body, maby not all equally, the C/L flying is handled on a % according to the C/L population.
Enjoy fly and kick back men, we are in hobbies that are great.
Jerry Bohn
Old 12-11-2004, 02:53 PM
jonuck-RCU

Hi Tom Perry,
Enjoyed your post since it very much mirrored my own experience thus far, like you I am a retread and ever since my introduction to model aeroplane activity in England in the mid forties my preferred love has been control line. I am now knocking on 70's door and I rejoice in the fact that I can still stand in the middle of a 120 foot circle and navigate a model through basic stunt manoeuvres, albeit there are times when I am a little behind the model instead of in front of it, but I am working on it. As to this form of model activity dying out, not at all, in fact I do believe that it is just the opposite, in my location alone there are many of my associates who have expressed an interest and several are now active participants. Witness also the marketing of more and more ARF's aimed at control line user's. In conclusion Tom Perry I wish you and yours the very best of Seasons Greetings the hope that "You will live as long as you want to and want to as long as you Live". Keep circulating.

John Perry.
Old 12-13-2004, 01:18 PM
tperry2054

Cousin John!

What a refreshing post. I initially started the thread to see if we couldn't lighten up a little in this forum. Believe me I wouldn't be participating in the hobby if I wasn't having fun. I don't think it is too selfish of me not to worry about whether C/L is fading away or not. I don't have enough years left in me to waste time on pondering the future of modeling.

I'm kind of bogged down right now trying to get the grand kids airplanes ready for Christmas. The paint may not be dry when they get them, but I'm committed to finishing them before Christmas.

I just picked up a few more engines for next summer. So I will be putting a few models together after the first of the year. I will be building something for an LA 46, LA 40 and several for the OS FP 20's. Sigh, so many airplanes so little time.

I think I will start a new club and name it The Perry Fliers. We will make you an honorary member. Les'se now, six grandkids, me and you, damn thats eight already.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Old 12-14-2004, 12:03 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: tperry2054
I don't have enough years left in me to waste time on pondering the future of modeling.

Tight lines,

Tom Perry
Tom,

Many of us are starting to laugh at lifetime guarantees.

George
Old 12-14-2004, 12:41 PM
Jim Thomerson

What is really irritating is to get a Senior Citizen's discount card with an expiration date!

Jim

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.