Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Engine for a Brodak Nobler.

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Engine for a Brodak Nobler.

Old 12-02-2004, 09:56 PM
green river rc
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine for a Brodak Nobler.

I plan to build it during my Christmas vacation and I need some advice on picking an engine.

I saw a site once that some guys were modifying rc versions of the OS .25 FPs for control line use. They said it had the same power as the old Fox .35s in wich it was designed for, they also said it made a perfect match for the Nobler. I also have an OS L.A. 40 that I could use, can I just wire the carb open and do the same thing as buying C/L version? What about the Brodak .40 engine? Haven't heard much on these engines, how would it be on a Nobler?

Thanks, David
Old 12-03-2004, 03:22 AM
telmore

Default RE: Engine for a Brodak Nobler.

Some say that the 40LA and Brodak 40 are way too much power for the ARF Nobler - others say they're perfect!

I'm putting a Veco 35 in mine!

I've hot an ARF Oriental on the way - Probably put a Torp 35 in it!

I'll modify both for clamps so that I can swap engines easily.

I've built my own cowl for the Nobler.

Are you going to carry out the 'essential' mods on the Nobler (replace the controls).

Tony
Old 12-03-2004, 06:39 AM
kmorgan

I have an OS 46 LA in my ARTF Nobler and it is perfect. It runs an APC 11x5 prop set up rich and on 60 foot lines the lap times are 6 to 7 secs. Have had 100 plus flights and nothing is altered from the ARTF as it came. Flew it it beginners stunt at the Nats this year and had many come over and check out what engine set up I was running. Also let one of the Gold Trophy boys have a go and he was very impressed by the performance - only my ability letting me down now!

Cheers

Kevin
Old 12-03-2004, 10:34 AM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

An OS LA 40 will be perfect for a Nobler. I have an OS 35 FP-S in my ARF Nobler and it works really well. An OS FP 25 does have more power then a Fox 35, but I never saw a Nobler fly on just a 25 so I can't say nothing there. I think a 40 would work better. The Brodak 40 you mentioned about is a great running engine and would be another good choice. My dad has one, and its works great.
Ryan
Old 12-03-2004, 03:51 PM
green river rc

Thanks for the responce guys!

What about wireing the carb open on a LA .40, would this do the same thing?
Old 12-03-2004, 10:08 PM
2BFlying

Hey David
I was wondering the same thing. I fly R/C and am getting back into the C/L business. I have several 40 size engines as my R/C stuff has the 60 and 90 engines in them. What would be the difference in setting the throttle in WOT (wide open throttle) position and flying it? Back in the 60s and 70s you could put a throttle on a plane with a third line and the control handle had a trigger in it. But I plan on using my R/C engines for a C/L model.
RWCherry
Mt Sterling KY
Old 12-04-2004, 08:53 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An RC LA40 would work OK but you might have a problem getting the tank low enough in the fus to get its centre line close to the fuel inlet into the carb with the engine inverted. One advantage of the RC carb though is that you can lock the barrel at less than full open if needed to get better fuel draw and limit peak revs. Most RC carbs are far too big for the revs needed for stunt, in fact most are too big for normal sport RC flying. I know of one Nobler (built from plans) that uses an Enya 45 and flies very well, it just 4 strokes all the time.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Hans Dahl Christensen

Hi - Hi .

I do not know about the BRODAK.

BUT : When you invest time and money in a very fine project - and a NOBLER is truly a fine project - why not then simply buy a FOX 35 ??? It is still produced - and an 11 x 5 or 11 x 6 airscrew + 28 % castor - 10 % nitro - and 62 % metanol will do the rest .

And then you have a real Classic !

KR

hld - OY-9901
Old 02-20-2006, 05:05 PM
green river rc

It's a done deal now, I used an OS 40 CL engine, it's a little to much engine I think but the plane does fly nice.