Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Flying without helper

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 PM
superclown

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flying without helper

Hello

Anyone have suggestions or plans for building a launcing device so a person could fly C/L
when there flying buddys are not able to be there and hold aircraft?
I fly 1/2A and .35-.40 size planes on grass circle. I dont think fabricating a devise for the
larger planes will be that much of a hassel because of them being able to roll out on grass,
my problem is the 1/2A;s. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cale
WebbCity,Mo
Old 01-30-2005, 01:14 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Flying without helper

The stooge I use is a large (@ 12 in long) nail with wire wrapped around the top and making two loops. My airplanes have some sort of hole or loop at their rear end, I have a wooden handle and a long piece of chalk line with a piece of wire on the end. The wire sticks through the two loops on the nail and the loop/hole on the airplane in between. When I pull the pin, I throw the handle away so I don't get tangled up in the stooge line. If the stooge should fail to release the airplane (it never has), I would just stand there holding the control handle and thinking deep thoughts until the engine quit.

I like to have the loop behind the airplane so I can see that everything is right without having to lay down on the ground. I hold the airplane and pull it against the stooge before starting the engine to be sure the stooge is engaged.

For a 1/2A without wheels, I think I would use a card table or similar and build a rack to hold it and a stooge working on the same principle.

Be ten times as careful flying by yourself. You have to have situational awareness of what is going on around you. If anything goes wrong you will have to deal with it by yourself.

Jim
Old 01-30-2005, 03:43 PM
Ryan Nau
My Feedback: (54)

I use the Stooge that tom dixon sells. It works really nice. Its heavy enough you don't need to nail it into teh ground. I make hooks that go around the tail wheel and connect to the stooge instead of string. It works good. Maybe you can take your half a's off of something like a picnic table from a stooge. I only fly beater planes by myself that will take off ok. My better planes I wait till someone can launch for me.
Ryan
Old 01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

As for the Stooge mine is simply a 10 lb steel plate with 4 rubber feet and a vortac bomb release. Don't over design this item, remember you are only holding back a .40 sized model, not race car. A steel pin of 1/8" diameter is sufficient to hold the model, combine that with some nose gear block, a spring and you have it made. Dubro makes some small molded nylon mounts (nose gear blocks) that will work very nicely. The idea of using a large nail in the ground also works great if in grass, for concrete the steel plate with rubber feet works better than you might think.

On a safety note:....I have stopped flying alone. Remember if you hurt yourself by getting your hand in the prop you are alone..if you are flying with someone they can take you to the hospital. I had this happen to a friend. He drove to the emergency room with blood dripping from one hand and will never fly alone again.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:34 PM
Jim Thomerson

My experience supports the idea that flying alone is twice as dangerous as flying with helpers. I've driven myself to the emergency room twice, but only once been driven by a friend.

Jim
Old 02-01-2005, 11:14 AM
dada

for combat like planes (wing without landing device) I am using a stooge you can find on f2d.fortech.cz. It works fine - the one problem is with launching string it has a tendency to tangle with control lines so it would be better to have the control lines before the string. Some another designs you can see on www.clcombat.info
Old 02-01-2005, 08:06 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the tail hook and release pin I use on my 60 size stunters (I don't dare show the bit that goes in the ground because it's so crude you'd laugh at me ). I like to have the tail hook as close to the UC mount as possible to handle the thrust load. For me the critical part is that bent clip which stops the pin from vibrating out.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec88001.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	223755  
Old 02-02-2005, 04:07 AM
Hossfly

ORIGINAL: superclown

Hello

Anyone have suggestions or plans for building a launcing device so a person could fly C/L
when there flying buddys are not able to be there and hold aircraft?
I fly 1/2A and .35-.40 size planes on grass circle. I dont think fabricating a devise for the
larger planes will be that much of a hassel because of them being able to roll out on grass,
my problem is the 1/2A;s. Any suggestions?

Thanks, Cale
WebbCity,Mo
Way back when I was a CL Stunt competitor, I simply made a double loop hook out of clothes hanger wire and stuck it down in the ground, length depending on the hardness of the ground. Largest of my stunters was .40 size. A long string attached to a wire pin and a loop of string around the tail wheel always worked for those practice sessions.

For 1/2A with wheels, I use a small set-up of the same. I throw a 4 X 8 sheet of 1/4" ply or such -- sometimes cardboard -- on the ground. for an initial take-off pad. The machines are on their way adequately to keep going after clearing the pad. In my back-back-yard, the grass usually nets a flip-over 1/2A landing but I do fly several originally designed 1/2 A models there. Landings with a 19 size model are fine.
Old 02-08-2005, 10:20 AM
Cfelton

Here's a simply stooge for under $5 in material. Use the short hardened nails to attach to concrete or blacktop. The long spikes are for grass or dirt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge95708.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	226421   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30882.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	226422