Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Night Flying?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2005, 09:14 PM
2BFlying

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Flying?

Hey everyone

Has anybody ever done any flying at night? Maybe on a football field, soccer field, or baseball diamond with the lights on?

I can fly here at my work off of the parking lot and the lights are 60 feet up and far enough apart to easily fly in the middle of them. As long as you don't wander too far while you are circling. I just drop a white rag and stay within a few feet of it. Most people could see it with peripheral vision.

Usually the winds calm down after sunset and it is cool enough to enjoy being out. I have never tried it but I am considering it.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:06 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Night Flying?

When I was a kid, there was a CL nice flying site at a nearby state park. Part of it was lighted and people flew at night a lot. Although birds sometimes thought it was fun to buzz the planes. Riley Wooten nailed a pigeon one night after it came through the circle three times. Shoulda quit after two. Riley was too good a combat flyer.
Old 04-05-2005, 11:31 PM
2BFlying

Shouldn't be too hard for a combat flyer to nail a slow moving pigeon.

Riley----1
Pigeons-0

Now a bat ought to more of a challenge.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:55 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Every New Years Eve in Topeka we fly in the new year. This is easier in the summertime as the Glow sticks that we attach to the landing gear don't freeze up and shut off like they do in the winter. It's fun, but ya gotta get several Foxes going quick so the castor oil chokes out the mosquitos!
Old 04-09-2005, 08:32 AM
Fix-it
My Feedback: (3)

I remember flying after dark as a kid with Cox PT-19s. The one street light in the cul-d-sac we flew in lit the ground up a bit, and the orange glow from the exhaust let you see the plane. Problem was trying to land when the engine quit, no more orage glow in the exhaust! But then most landings with a PT-19 were crashes anyway.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:41 PM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

With the PT-19 I'd think the hard part would be finding the rubberbands. We flew those 1/2A Skyrays up at SIG at night years ago, watch the glow, it shuts off walk the lines out to see where the plane is, fire it up and do it again till the sleepers yelled at us to quite down.
Old 04-10-2005, 05:27 PM
2thDr

Yes, I've done quite a bit of night flying......

[link=http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FNight+Flying+at+Lowe%27s.wmv&odaid=952&prog=true]http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FNight Flying at Lowe%27s.wmv&odaid=952&prog=true[/link]

[link]http://link4.streamhoster.com/?u=2thDr&p=%2FSmallerNavFlight.wmv&odaid=952&prog=true[/link]

Old 04-12-2005, 10:04 AM
jehold66203

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That video is terrific. I am not going to ask what Lowes. But, then I seen it was electric. Can you post somewhere what you use as far as all the equipment. Now for that landing I will have to give a 10.5 out of possible 40. DOC Holliday