Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Help and id of engine plz

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 09:42 PM
Mark.v.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help and id of engine plz

Hi, i have an engine that a friend of mine wants help with, i said i would take a look and hopefully get some help from you guys.

First up, could someone id what this engine is, the only markings on it are 'DC Ltd'.

He has told me he can get it to fire up, but it stops almost as quick as it starts, so could you also let me know how to 'pipe' it up to run it on a bench, also what fuel it needs to run efficiently.

I am not used to these old control line engines, i only run new glow engines for my rc, so any help at all would be appreciated.

These are the only pics i could get, sorry about the quality, but i could only get them on here from my phone.

Old 10-01-2005, 12:01 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Help and id of engine plz

What you have there is very similar to a DC Wasp .049. I'm looking at an ad for same in a July 1971 Aeromodeller. Only difference I see is that the Wasp in the ad has a flared out venturi. Yours may be an earlier or later model. It is supposed to have a quickstart spring and a cam thingie that fits behind the prop. It will probably run on your RC glow fuel, but would not mind a little added castor oil. The spraybar may be clogged up and it is having trouble sucking fuel. The glowplug appears to be original. Should swing about a 6 x 3 prop.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:42 PM
Mark.v.

Thanks for the reply, for the piping up though, does it only have one pipe for the fuel to the engine and no return? Sorry if it is a noob question, but i am actually a noob when it comes to this

The prop that is on it is actually a 5x2, should give a better hint to the size of it. Also, can you recommend a glow plug for it, i think that should really be my first port of call.
Old 10-01-2005, 06:57 PM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 10-01-2005, 08:12 PM
Jim Thomerson

The fuel goes into the spraybar (a brass tube) which goes across the venturi. There is a hole in the side of the spraybar to let fuel out into the venturi. You shouldn't be able to see this hole as it is directed down toward the crankshaft. The needle valve is on the other side. This screws in and out the spraybar to regulate the amount of fuel. I would take the needle out and blow out the spraybar and be sure every thing is clean in there. When you screw the needle all the way in, it should shut off the spraybar completely. Unscrew it about three turns for your first start attempt. Suck fuel up to the spray bar bar by putting your finger over the venturi and turning the prop. Squirt some fuel in the exhaust port. Turn the engine over a couple of times and then attach the battery. Turn the prop backwards until it is straight up and down and hit it forward with your finger. Should start and run with a little fiddling. Don't know what you need in the way of a glow plug. I suspect it has a short thread.

I'll root around in my magazines some more and see if I can find your exact motor.
Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 PM
Mark.v.

Thx Jim, i'll have a look at it on my day off and let you know how i got on
Old 10-04-2005, 11:41 AM
Jim Thomerson

OK, I found your engine. It is a DC Bantam, .75cc, @ .045 cu. in. Came out in mid 1968, replaced by the later Wasp. A 6 x 3 prop is still about right. 5 x 2 is way too small.