Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Just getting back into C/L

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Just getting back into C/L

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2006, 07:01 AM
COPO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just getting back into C/L

Hi Guys, Have been reading this forum for a few months now and just wanted to say Hi.. Nice to see how many people are still flying C/L/. I am getting back into flying as I have been out of it for the last 20 years or so. I still have several planes that are built and 2 kits unbuilt. WOW did I have fun buliding and flying.

My first plane was a Ringmaster JR. that pops bought for me. Had an ENYA 15 on it. Since then I have collected, The S-1 Ringmaster, Banshee, Flite streak, Baby Flite streak, Magician 15 ( built) with a FOX schneural ported 15, Magician 35 (unbulit and brand new), Twister ( unbuilt and brand new), Voodoo, Winder, Combat Kittens, and several Foam board 1/2A wings I have constructed. Also have several Cox 1/2A engines, McCoys, Fox, K&B. Enya.

I am in ther Springfield Mass. area and see a few guys here that are also local. I know of no one in this area that flies C/L around here.There used to be a R/C/ club and field Down on the Conn. line, called the P.V.R.C.C. Does anyone remember? Outside of going to a school yard I don't know of any other places to fly. Sure would love to give it a try again. Looking foward to the spring and firing up some of these old relics I have.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Just getting back into C/L

UKIE,

Welcome back to CL. You might check at your local hobby shop if you have one, otherwise, you might check on the AMA site for a club listed in your area.

George
Old 01-30-2006, 12:50 PM
kdheath

Here you go, give Dave Cook a call. NEST is the only CL club listed in Mass. But there is a ton of activity further south around NYC and Jersey, like the Garden State Circle Burners. See if Dave can't hook you up with some folks to fly with. And take a look at PAMPA. Six excellent magazines per year and access to more help than you can shake a stick at. Welcome back! There are a lot of retreads like me in CL now. One of my first planes was a Jr Ringmaster, too.
Kelvin

http://www.control-line.org/DesktopDefault.aspx\

NEW ENGLAND STUNT TEAM NEST
District: I
NUmber: 1692
Type: Control Line
Contact Information:
Phone: 508.528.4548
Email: [email protected]
Address: 46 MAPLE ST
NORFOLK, MA 02056-1936
Old 01-30-2006, 12:57 PM
kdheath

BTW, here's a links site you might want to rummage in. Almost every significant CL web site is listed there.
http://home.att.net/~philbrown36641s5/clhomepage.html

And other CL forums:

http://www.clstunt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi

http://www.vf11.com/onlycontroline/
Old 01-30-2006, 04:44 PM
COPO

You guys are great! Thanks for all the info and links! I have been going through some of my stuff and found some old memories. Another kit I have is a Messerscmidt ME-109 that used to be my fathers. Has to be from the early 1970's or late 60's. They never put any dates anywhere on the kits or plans so its hard to tell.

I remember going to the WRAM show in N.Y. way back when. Do they still have this show? Anyway My father and I were talking with Duke Fox about doing stunts and he told me to come around the other side of the display bench were he was standing. He grabbed my arm and wrist and started showing me ways to do different stunts! Really cool guy. I also chatted with Hazel Sig that year. Oh what memories!! Just wish I had kept all my old catalogs and copies of Model Airplane News that I had collected for so many years.

A few questions. What is everyone using for 60Ft. lines these days? I used Sullivan way back when. Does anyone remember Power Blast fuel? I don't think it is made any more. What happend to: Sterling models, Midwest products, Carl Goldberg models, Top flite models?
Carl Goldberg had some sweet C/L models.

Thanks all! Looking foward to your replies.

Pete
Old 01-30-2006, 11:27 PM
kdheath

<I remember going to the WRAM show in N.Y. way back when. Do they still have this show? >

Still going. As is Toledo. See: http://www.wram.org/

<A few questions. What is everyone using for 60Ft. lines these days? I used Sullivan way back when. Does anyone remember Power Blast fuel? I don't think it is made any more. What happend to: Sterling models, Midwest products, Carl Goldberg models, Top flite models?
Carl Goldberg had some sweet C/L models.>

You can still get Sullivan lines. You got to measure them before using them, tho. Never are the stated length.. SIG, Brodak, RSM, and others supply lines of all sorts. I like the custom lines that To m Morris makles up. The silkiest and most flexible I've ever seen, and and only a little more $$ than the ordinary line sets. The cheap way is to buy bulk line and roll your own. Cable is about $40 per thousand feet.

Sterling went belly up. Estes rocket folks bought the Ringmasters and ran them into the ground. RSM has a laser cut Ring kit that is a killer. Plans are available from a couple of sources, too. There ius even an internet club starting up around the Ringmaster.

Midwest is around, but into giant RC kits, mostly. Larry Richards makes very nice repros of the Midwest warbirds.

John Brodak now owns the Goldberg CL kits. Has the Shoestring, Cosmic Wind, and a slightly different Buster out. I hear they're working on the 1/2A stuff like the Little Toot and Jumping Bean, too. And maybe the VooDoo.That would be cool.

Top Flite sells (ready for this?) ARF Flite Streaks, Tutors, and Noblers. All very flyable. Brodak also kits all the Flite Streaks-Trainer, Baby, Jr., and the big one.

It is an un-freaking-real time to do sport/stunt/combat CL. Speed and carrier are a little limited by noise and site issues, but they are still out there. There are so many super quality kits and motors and parts right now that it's like going to heaven.
Kelvin

Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
Phlip

Hi Ukie,

I'm in Massachusetts, Auburn, to be exact, and I don't know of a C/L club around, other than a combat group in the area. I belong to the Sturbridge Lawn Darts R/C club, and I know of another R/C club in the Westfield area. I know one guy from Boston (I used to work with) who belongs to the club in Norfolk mentioned by kdheath, but I've never been to his club.

Our Local Hobby Shop, Hog Heaven Hobbies, on Rte 20 in Sturbridge, is a well stocked store of R/C stuff and C/L stuff, too, if you can believe it! The prices are on par with the big mail-order guys, too. It would be worth the trip for you to check it out and ask about C/L clubs. Even the guy from Boston stops in whenever he gets the chance.

If you just need a buddy to go flying with, I might be able to spare the time occasionally when the weather improves Drop me a private message if you'd like to get together.

I usually head to the R/C field, but I still enjoy C/L fun when I have somebody to be my stooge. Unfortunately, my 17 year old son doesn't care for flying all that much.

Phil
Old 02-01-2006, 06:44 AM
COPO

Hi Philip, I appreciate the offer to go flying and may look you up in the near future. I have been taking old plane stuff out of my attic, and well... It isn't in very good shape at the moment. My Ringmaster needs to be recovered. All the silkspan has ripped from sitting for 25 years. I think I may try flying one of my 1/2A models in my backyard first. I don't know if I will get dizzy or not lol.... I know when I was a kid it didn't bother me, but now I am 40 and not sure what will happen.

I know of the flying field in Westfield you refferd to. I have passed it several times and need to go check it out. Thanks!
Old 02-01-2006, 09:04 AM
gcb

ORIGINAL: UKIE
... I don't know if I will get dizzy or not lol....
You will!

It is only temporary, just as it was when you were a kid.

George
Old 02-01-2006, 10:56 AM
COPO

ORIGINAL: gcb

ORIGINAL: UKIE
... I don't know if I will get dizzy or not lol....
You will!

It is only temporary, just as it was when you were a kid.

George
Thanks George for the vote of confidence.
Now I need to prepare a plane to try. I feel like a little kid again hehehehe.
Old 02-01-2006, 02:15 PM
kdheath

About 10 years or so ago. when I first thought of getting back into CL (new born son to get ready to train, you see) I bought a Sterling Viper and a Black Widow from the LHS and slapped it tigether. Talked the wife into launching. She had never seen a model airplane in her life and found it very funny that I fell on my fanny, dizzy, after a pretty successful flight....
Old 02-02-2006, 08:16 AM
gcb

Mine is a similar story...sorta. When I returned to CL, my son was grown. He was not interested in model airplanes as a youth, but as a Technology Teacher he wanted to explore the subject, with the possibility of making it part of his teachings. So he would learn, I would re-learn.

In any case, I built a Skyray with Black Widow, and a Brodak Basic Trainer with a Cub .049A. First I flew the basic Trainer...and was a bit dizzy. Then I took it off and handed it over to him. When he got dizzy, I took it back. He fell to the ground and laughed as I finished the flight. Then I fell down and we both lay there in the grass laughing.

Then we did it again...

We had a great time.

George