Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Count Clipper

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 10:40 PM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Count Clipper

I have a old kit of the Harter's Count Clipper. I think it is all there but the plans are mising. If some one has a set of the plans I would be interested in buying a copy from you.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:47 PM
kdheath

Default RE: Count Clipper

Make sure to post this over at Stuka Stunt Works Forum for more coverage.
http://www.clstunt.com/cgi-bin/dcforum/dcboard.cgi
And there is a CL speed website at http://www.clspeed.com/member.htm
Old 02-11-2006, 09:16 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you mean this?
Does that ever bring back memories. I had one so long ago I can't remember when although I only flew it for fun by myself with a K&B Stallion in it.

Here's a site where you can buy the plans.
http://www.controllineplans.com/compage1.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42292.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	406100  
Old 02-11-2006, 09:36 AM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

Thanks for the info, They have a lot of the old control line plans at that site. I have added it to my favorites list.
Old 02-13-2006, 12:31 AM
ifr2lax

NitroGeezer,

I have, hanging in the garage a Count Clipper I built in 1964....the plans are totally butchered, as in my earlier days there was no reason to take care of them...argghhh.

The plane was never flown due to problems for me...at 14...trying to mount the Fox 36X and a pressure tank, no room it seemed to do it...I never thought about re-plumbing the tank.

I will try to post a photo in a day or two...it's a cool looking plane...

Pete
Old 02-15-2006, 09:43 PM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

I would like to see a picture of your Clipper. I found a set of plans for my kit thanks to a web site provided by downunder. It is a great site and they have lots of plans for the older ships. Check it out at http://www.controllineplans.com/
I received my clipper plans in just a couple of days and they are very good. They include the full size rib outlines which were not with the plans which came with the kit. I placed a second order with them tonight for some other old planes I flew further back then I want to think about.
Old 02-16-2006, 12:49 AM
ifr2lax

Geezer,

I will take the C Clipper off the ceiling and get you some good photos in the next couple of days...too much stuff in the way to get any good pics.

Also, will try to remove the Tatone Speed Pan as I am curious what the structure underneath looks like...it's been a long time since I looked!

It is covered with nylon which seems to hold up better than silk...but for me to fly it would mean a little surgery to replace the old solid steel leadouts...I always used to solder everything and the acid destroys the wire after...40 years...go figure.

I still have the Fox 35X, runs great and could rig the tank at this point in my "skill set"!

I have a Goldberg Cosmic Wind built in 64' that is still flying..now with NEW lead outs....the old ones simply "break" at any joint.

Oh...last time the CW flew...the plywood elevator broke off...in flite...man, that is a rugged plane.

Actually... do you have a belly pan? Without the belly pan, you will have to build up something out of hardwood and balsa to approximate the old cast magnesium belly pan....doable...maybe some one is doing the old speed model castings.

Pete
Old 02-16-2006, 01:38 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Should get a Harter's pan to be authentic. Harter's is still in business as a mostly non airplane hobbyshop in Belleville, IL. Clarence Idoux had West Side Hobbies, first in East St Louis, then in Belleville, for 52 years. Clarence passed away several years ago. He was very knowledgable and parts for just about any engine you could mention. You can read about him in Charles Mackey's "Pioneers of Control Line Flying" available from PAMPA.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:11 PM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

Pete,

Can't wait to see the pic's of your Clipper. I am going to a swap meet Saturday in Belleville, Illinois (birthplace of the Clipper) and I plan to cruise by the old shop and stop in to see if there is any chance any of the original mag pans are still available. I have the one with my kit but I have this vision od a screaming Clipper planting itself deep into the Iowa terra-firma. A spare part or two might come in handy.
Old 02-16-2006, 09:17 PM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

Jim

Do you know if the old shop in Belleville would possible have any of the mag pans around for sale? I plan to stop in when I am up there next Saturday at the swap meet.

NitroGeezer
Old 02-16-2006, 11:04 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The guy at Corner Hobbies in Belleville bought a lot of Clarence's stuff. However I am afraid that all the pans Corner Hobbies had passed through my hands, and out into the world. I'm sure there are a number of them around among CL fliers in the area so keep your eye peeled at the swapmeet. One guy who probably has one posts on ebaY as ureelybob.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:39 PM
ifr2lax

Nitro Geezer,

Will try again to post some Count Clipper photos.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53212.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	417604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76386.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	417605   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ot48168.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	417606  
Old 02-28-2006, 09:24 PM
Nitro Sucking Geezer

Pete,

Thanks for sharing the pic's of your Clipper. She still looks good after keeping the bogys from invading the airspace in your garage for all the years. I used nylon covering also on all my planes back then. The stuff I used was called nylon sha-fawn (spelling?). That stuff is amazing and I don't remember ever having any problems with it. It also made a handy body-bag to haull wreakage back after the dreaded ocasional planting.
Geezer
Old 03-01-2006, 01:04 AM
ifr2lax

Geezavator,

I think you mean nylon "chiffon"...tough stuff...stand up to 40 years of TIME...but very hard to fill with dope long ago.

Actually that was a dress making frabric...there is another covering being used now that is anther commercial curtain liner or whatever...fergit the name...POLYSPAN...?....very strong....hard to fill...NEVER sand the wrong side as you get uncontrollable fuzzies 100 cans of dope couldn't fill...

Hope you can find a Tatone pan to make the build...the rest would be easy...if the plans do not have rib outlines, I could give you lenghts and depths...really a standard d tube wing.

Have fun.

Pete