Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Removing engine from a Cox Racer

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Removing engine from a Cox Racer

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Andy Bright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing engine from a Cox Racer

[8D] I purchased a Purple colour Cox control line racing plane from Ebay last year. I must admit that it was an Impulse buy having watched a display at the Sandown show in the UK last year. I have been unable to start the motor and it seems to have very little compression. Can any one explain how the plane comes apart . The plane has No32 on the wings and tail and looks simular to the Cox 300 plane on their website but not the same colour. Any help welcome !
Old 05-03-2006, 12:54 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Removing engine from a Cox Racer

Andy,

Before taking it apart, how familiar are you with Cox engines?

The first thing to check is that the glow plug is tight. If it is tight, remove it and check for a copper gasket or shim between the plug and the head. Air leaks at the plug will cause low compression.

If the engine has been run, perhaps the reed valve is stuck. Sometimes you can loosen it without disassembly by dropping a couple of drops of fuel into the engine's intake and flip it a few times. Then put a normal prime in the exhaust, connect the booster, and flip (or flick) the prop.

Make sure your battery is good enough to make the plug glow orange.

If none of these work, then it is time to remove the engine and clean it up. Most often it is a stuck reed.

Apologies if this is too basic.

George
Old 05-10-2006, 03:46 PM
Andy Bright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

George
I removed the glow plug but there were no shims. I replaced it and tightened it down but there's still no compression. As you say , I will probably need to remove the engine but I can not work out how the plane comes apart. So if anyone knows how the engine can be removed , please post a reply . I have pictures of the plane but I'm sure how you attach them like others have done on the forums.
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM
gcb

Andy,

Often the glow plug gasket looks like it is part of the cylinder. You can only tell by the copper color on the seating surface. If it is in fact missing, that could be your entire problem. You get a new gasket with a spare glow plug. If the Cox gasket is not available, the Norvel will fit.

As I mentioned before, I do not have that plane. Generically, if you remove the screws that hold the upper and lower part of the fuselage together, the engine will often be held by some slots molded into the fuselage and can be slid out of the fuselage halves.

Old planes used a tank mounted engine and often had the engine screwed to a plastic firewall on the plane.

Hope this helps some.

George
Old 05-11-2006, 12:58 PM
cmulder

this one has a blue canopy with white decals
the nose botum is held in place with rubber bands and the landing gear and should slide down as soon as the landing gear wire is pulled out (carefull don't force anything)
you can get a replacement engine for about 8 usd at the cox website coxmodels.com and i would advice to get a few since the glowhead by itself is more expensive..

be shure that you run it on fuel containing atleast 20% castor oil