Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Spiderwire

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2006, 01:11 AM
lukesp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spiderwire

What is the best size spiderwire (in breaking strain) for 049/051 sized models ? I really want to get away from dacron, and if the spiderwire is as good as everyone says it is I'll go that way. I have tried 012 stainless steel lines in the past, but the lower powered 049's don't really give much line tension.

Luke.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:45 AM
Phlip

Default RE: Spiderwire

I have the Fusion .012 dia (24 lb. test) and it works well. But I think you'd be perfectly fine with the smallest--.004 (10 lb. test) for 1/2 A planes. A quick look at the AMA website for C/L guidelines indicates that, at worst, you need to multiply the weight of the model by 4, and each line should be able to withstand a pull of that amount. I doubt that you have a 1/2 A plane that weighs 2.5 lbs, so I'd say the small stuff will be good!

Here is a link to Spiderwire's website for the Fusion product:
[link=http://www.fishspiderwire.com/NonFlash/Products/LineDetail.cfm?ID=4]http://www.fishspiderwire.com/NonFlash/Products/LineDetail.cfm?ID=4[/link]

Good luck,

Phil

Edited to correct the size indicated.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the stainless, .012 is for high powered .049 competition such as Combat. For sport or stunt flying, .008 x 35' or .008 x 42' is ideal.
These lines, though strong, are very fragile to handling. Monofilament fishing line such as Spiderwire is much easier. Just make sure the knots stay tight by using the correct knot and/or applying glue to the knot.

George
Old 06-07-2006, 08:25 AM
lukesp

Thanks for the link and replies. I was thinking to use the smallest size but my problem is I have never seen or handled Spider Wire before so I don't really know what to expect of it. Would the larger sizes be applicable to larger models or is there a downside ?

I can't access 008 wire where I am George or I would have tried it , Cl died in my part of town a long time ago, finding a LHS with a bellcrank let alone CL wire is a real task. I make/ad lib most of my stuff nowadays. The one hobby shop worth going to changed hands some years back and no longer stocks engines at all, they have gone all electric . No silkspan, bellcranks, lines or dope. I guess I could buy it via the web but Spider wire sounds like an easier bet.
Old 06-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Phlip

Would the larger sizes be applicable to larger models or is there a downside ?
I've wondered the same, myself. I don't see why you couldn't use larger size for larger models, but I've not tried it. Anybody else?

Phil
Old 06-08-2006, 08:22 AM
ferocious

Spiderwire Fusion is much more fragile than any of the stranded versions. It will break easily at a knot if the plane gets loose on the lines and hits the edge of the circle.

All the Spectra(tm) fishing lines I've tried are way over-rated for pull test. I've tried at least 6 different brands of stranded Spectra(Spiderwire, Gorilla Braid, Pro Line, Tech) and they all break at about half the fishing rated breaking strength. So 25-30 lb. test is about right for Half A's.

We tested several ways of making the ends. They all worked about the same. A simple loop tied into and overhand knot, a palomar knot, and crimping the lines all worked. The line generally broke at about half the rated strength a couple of inches from the knot.
Old 06-08-2006, 09:55 PM
lukesp

Thanks Ferocious. You crimped them ? What type tubing ?

I am thinking that the rated breaking strain of the lines is wet strength, not dry. That would make sense, also lubing the knot with spittle (hey, it's free and handy) before pulling it tight would also maintain the strength at the knot. Most materials tied into a knot cut into themselves if dry, so spit can really help.........

Luke.
Old 06-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Clean

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

If possible, use one of those half a handles where the line goes through the handle itself and you adjust the center from there. Tieing 4 knots to come out with equal length lines is a real pain. This way you only have to tie two knots and you generally have the benefit of having a place to wrap the lines up with later.
Old 06-09-2006, 08:48 AM
lukesp

Done.

I bought some 20lb Live Fibre TX (100% Dyneema...whatever that is) this afternoon, zero stretch and according to the salesman the same stuff as spider wire. 20lb is the same as 9.1 kg. I can't see a 1/2A model reaching half that weight, even in a gale so it sounds fine to me.

Mr Clean, lines already fitted to one of those age old Cox handles with the peg in the middle . Tying two knots was tiresome enough for me. Later I might make another set of handle and lines with snaps on the line ends so I can swap them between models.

Luke.