Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Engines for Jr. Lightning and 1/2A Pathfinder

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Engines for Jr. Lightning and 1/2A Pathfinder

Old 06-29-2006, 11:38 PM
bogateer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines for Jr. Lightning and 1/2A Pathfinder

Well I decided it's time to move up from 1/2A...not that there's anything wrong with it...flew it for YEARS!. I was looking at the Brodak Jr. Lightning Streak that recommends an .09 to .19. Am I okay starting off with an .09 or shoudl I start larger? I bring up the 1/2A Pathfinder (I have one on the closet shelf) and it is actually larger than the Jr. Lightning Streak by a few inches. It claims engines from .049 to .07 (I had planned on using a Norvel .061). Could I stuff an .09 in that instead?

Thanks,

Rob
Old 06-30-2006, 07:32 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Engines for Jr. Lightning and 1/2A Pathfinder

Rob,

I would stick with the Norvel .061 for the Pathfinder.

The Jr. Lightning Streak was created before Brodak got the rights to the Flite Streak series. It was set-up to accommodate older baffle piston engines in the engine sizing. A modern .10 is about ideal IMHO. It will accept a .15 if you like fast flying and will probably fly on an .061 if you build very light and use shorter lines, although you may have to add weight in front for balance. An older .09 could be used successfully.

Don't just go by wingspan or area to determine size, also check the structure. The Pathfinder structure is set up for 1/2A. It has a large wing that is lightly loaded to provide good stunt capabilities. The Jr. Lightning Streak is structured for a larger engine and general flying. Both airframes are designed to balance using the engines recommended.

I'm guessing that you wanted to buy one engine and use it for both planes. I would not reccommend it.

George
Old 07-03-2006, 07:40 AM
bogateer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engines for Jr. Lightning and 1/2A Pathfinder

Thanks!

Nah,,,got all the 1/2As I need...just was wondering what might work in the Pathfinder since I have one of those too...and an .061 I can stick in it.

Thanks for your help,

Rob