Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Multi Engine Scale

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:03 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Multi Engine Scale

While reading the hobby magazines of the late fifties and sixties, FM MAN and AM published their NATS coverage (something they don't do now). There were a number of guys who built multi engined scale airliners, something you don't see much of anymore in the ukie circle. Why is that? Did the rules change to basically eliminate the multi engined models?
Old 10-18-2006, 07:25 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Multi Engine Scale

Multi-engine models are still being flown. Multi-engine is a legitimate flight option. Remember that C/L was king in the 50's and early 60's and participation is down. There have been several twins that have been competitors and trophy winners at the Nats in recent years, particularly in the Profile event. These include a P-61, Me-110, P-38, A-26 fire bomber, dH Hornet, Rutan Boomerang, Ta-154, and probably some others that I don't remember. In the Sport and FAI classes I can remember a P-82, dH-10, DC-3 (done as an R4D), P-38, B-29, and my HS-129. At the World Championships other twins in 2006 were a SU-12 and Oxford Airspeed. In 2004 there were airliners built by members of the Latvian and (I think) Ukranian teams. My first C/L scale model was a Profile XF-5-F. At the Brodak fly in I recall seeing a B-17 and C-46.
Chuck
Old 10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks. Looking at old issues of FM, AM and MAN for the early 60's NATS were pictures of DC-7's, L-188's Connies and other neat stuff. Nice to know that U/C multi scale models are still being built.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Michael,

Perhaps also the lower apparent interest in multi-engine scale airliners may be due to their scarcity in the public mind? Sure, I've had a few recent flights on small feeder-liner prop planes, but even those are turbo-props... And nothing in the airliner field is new and exciting in the same sense as the introduction of planes like the Constellation, DC-6 or -7, and later the Boeing 707. Airplanes are too utilitarian and accepted to 'thrill' people as they did a quarter or half century ago...

It takes quite a bit of dedication to put together a major project like even a nicely turned-out Profile Scale multi. Contest entries seem to be getting scarcer, so where is the outside impetus to match skills with like-minded buddies?

I'm not being negative, just objective about the recent years. But, hey, PAMPA brought a lot of interest in Stunt back... We may find inspiration to revive the fire in the rest of the CL categories where it is still simmering...

Hope so.
Old 10-23-2006, 11:42 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have built and flown several Twins including an A-20G Havoc, F7F Tigercat, B-26 Maruader, Tri-motor and have even flown a 4 engine flying boat. Multi-engine models are not difficult but what makes it a more difficult is setting up the 2 or more engines and getting them to run correctly. My 41" span Tigercat is so much fun to fly, but I have landed at least once with with one engine dead.

I also feel that setting up a throttle system using 3-line for a twin or more engines often does not work very well. For that reason I fly all of my models with electronic controls. I put a servo for each engine and never have a problem getting the engines in sync.

My next twin is a Martin B-26 Maruader with a 71" span for Profile scale.
Old 12-07-2006, 04:21 PM
Marty Hall
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last year some time there was a guy selling a kit for the Curtiss C-46. He seems to have gone 10-79, or at least disappeared. Does any one know any thing about this guy? I've lost he's e-mail address in a computer crash and would like to find out if he's still doing the C-46.

Thanks,
Marty Hall
Float flying and scale also.........