Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Brodak Magician

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 07:42 PM
MrSteve09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brodak Magician

Hi All,...

I just picked up the new Brodak Magician kit from my local hobby shop. I've been collecting and building Magicians for a couple years now. I have the plans for the Midwest Magician and I picked up a Golden State Models Magican kit at a local auction.

I was quite surprised to notice that the Brodak Magician is significanly smaller than the Midwest and Golden State versions. The Midwest Magician has a wing span of 48 inches with an area of 488 squares. While the Golden State is exactly the same the new Brodak version only has a wingspan of 43 with an area of 407 squares.

Does anyone know why the Brodak "Original Magician" would be smaller?? Was the Midwest kit of a larger later design??

Other than the size issue,... the Brodak kit looks excellent!! All the balsa parts are laser cut. The plans are expertly drawn and, like all Brodak kits, the instruction manual is top notch. Certainly is a quality product, well worth the money and investment!!

Sincerely,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 10-20-2006, 09:13 PM
Black Arrow

Default RE: Brodak Magician

I have an original Midwest Magician kit that I bought in the mid 60's. It has a 48 inch wingspan. I don't know if that helps you date things or not. I liked the Magicain because it flew slower than the Ringmaster.

I never did really learn to fly CL. I regret that. Once I learned to fly around in a circle every maneuver I tried to learn cost me an airplane. I had the misfortune of taking to heart the words of a very experienced, expert stunt competitor. He said that once a plane was wrecked and repaired it was too heavy to be of much use. I was so young and inexperienced that I was throwing perfectly repairable airplanes in the trach barrel at the park where I flew without realising that I was talking to a Nats level competitor who had way different standards than most. Money was tight in those days and I fianlly just couldn't take it anymore financially or emotionally. Too bad I didn't know a few guys who were just knock about flyers with some ratty old planes. Maybe I would have gotten the message and succeeded. Who knows? Maybe I'll get back to it before I get too old and die or something. LOL!
Old 10-22-2006, 03:41 AM
telmore

I'd swear I'd seen an article about the Magician in Stunt News which did state that the original Magician (as kitted by Brodak and designed by Jim Silhavy) was a smaller unflapped design - but I can't for the life of me find it!

Tony
Old 10-23-2006, 02:38 AM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We get into a strange situation with Old Time and Classic eligibility, don't we...

If the rules say available (kitted or published, per the original Garden State Circle Burners wording), or provable to exist during the era defined by the appropriate cut-off dates, we have to finesse the rules a bit.

Reportedly, Jim Silhavy designed the smaller Magician first, and flew it in several contests, or somewhere it can be proven to exist within the Classic era. Fine! That makes it Classic eligible. However, the first generally available Magician was the (was it Micro-MidWest?) kit for the larger version. That was also within the Classic era, so it, too, is Classic eligible.

Part of the charm of OT and Classic is the chance to research and replicate rare and little-known eligible models, build them and bring them out to the meets. If Brodak, Mfg., chooses to kit the Magician 35 version none of us except Jim Silhavy could have flown in the mid-1950's, since we all - now, anyway - know it is valid, so be it. I built a first release kit in the mid-/late-1950's, which was the 48" version, and know that if I built another to those dimensions it would be Classic eligible.

I don't wish more than that. So long as the provenance is adequate, let's not fret too much, huh? Now, a D-tube Sterling Ringmaster is another thing entirely...
Old 10-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lou, are you sure of your time line on the kit release? Jim Silhavy had a (the?) prototype Magician at the '60 Dallas Nats. George Aldrich flew it. I don't recall anything about it except that it was white. So I don't think the kit came out as early as the the 50's, but I don't know. Have to look up some old ads, I suppose. Certainly Classic legal in any case.
Old 02-12-2011, 02:27 AM
BoeingFlyer

I had a Midwest Magician in the mid-70s that flew great for many seasons.  I looked long and hard to find another one, but Midwest is no longer around, so all I could find was the Brodak kit, which I bought.  I thought the Midwest kit was bigger (and it is).  I'm a little disappointed with the Brodak kit though; The balsa used for the profile fuselage is extremely soft balsa, it comes with a 2 piece landing gear (vs 1 piece on the Midwest kit), and a plastic? bellcrank.  The demise of my Magician came from a structural failure of the (metal) bellcrank and/or support structure, so I'm definitely not going to trust a plastic bellcrank.  I should add that back then, we built models with tons of Titebond wood glue and covered them with silkspan and LOTS of coats of dope, so mine was probably a lot heavier than it should have been.  This kit will be covered with Monocote and will be powered by a McCoy .35 RedHead engine.  Bigger is not always better.  My old Magician was heavy, so I powered it with a Fox .40.  Even heavy and over-powered, it was the best flying U/C plane I've ever had.  It flew in strong winds when others wouldn't, and it could take a beating & kept on flying!  I fly for fun, not competition, and you can't get more fun than with the Magician!  Mike-LVRRC
Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 AM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The smaller Magician was indeed the first Magician that Mr Silhavy made. It was kitted by another company and was different then the Midwest in other then size. It also had half ribs to prevent sag in the covering. The kit rights were picked up by Midwest and they did the redesign to enlarge it and did away with the half ribs. Frank Garcher the owner of Midwest did like many other kit manufacturers and had JS tweak the design to fit perceived wants of the day.
No matter which one you pick they are very good flyers and to be correct you never use movable flaps with this design. It was not designed with them and i don't think that they improve the flying capabilities of the design.
As to the recent availability of the smaller magician. It was origionally re introduced and rekitted by a well known cottage kit maker with Jim Silhavy's permission and he did indeed sign the kit boxes and plans of both the smaller and larger magician kits that were manufactured. The 15 sized magician was also kitted at the same time. If you find one of these 3 kits for sale buy it as they are superb in execution and wood selection. The kit rights were transferred to Brodaks a few years ago but only the origional is currently in production. It is ,as are all of Brodaks kits an exceptional buy for your modelling money.
Dennis
Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM
cutaway

I've built two of the smaller ones from Brodak plans and they fly pretty well. The stab/elevator is a tad smaller than the Midwest kit, and the nose moment is shorter.
Old 02-14-2011, 02:14 PM
BoeingFlyer

Thanks for the input Dennis.  I'm just trying to relive some fond memories of yesteryear.  I had many of the Cox/Testors "toys", but they only suceeded in making me dizzy.  The Magician was a true U/C model that did what real stunt models were meant to do.  The 60/70 ft. cables and heavy "pull" of the Magician made it a pleasure to fly.  I planned to build my new Brodak Magician with the McCoy .35 and to look "old school", but with all the new information I have, I might go with a modern .25 engine since this kit is smaller and will definitely be lighter than my 1975 brickhouse model!  Mike - LVRRC
Old 02-14-2011, 03:02 PM
Gungadin

Mike

I am in the process of finishing my Brodak Magician up right now. Got it covered and 3 coats of clear dope on it so far. I was going to put a Brodak 25 in it but instead decided to go electric. Many memories of the police making me leave the school yard as a teenager cause a neighbor called the cops. Shouldn't have this age old problem with electric. I should be able to fly it any time close by my house at the local high school soccer field. Any way I need to put on a couple more coates of clear dope and then some color and it will be done. Should come out around 38 oz. ready to go. Good luck with your Magician.
Old 02-14-2011, 04:37 PM
BoeingFlyer

Gungadin-

Electric?  Hmmm...  Back in the day (1974-1976) the more noise you made, the better!  My old flying field was a soccor field next to my high school in Phoenix.  They've since installed sidewalks and trees to discourage ANY kind of model airplane fun.  I'd probably be issued a noise citation and/or a trespassing ticket today.  Las Vegas has a designated site specifically permitted for U/C use.  Although I'm an AMA member, I still prefer the roar of a 2 cycle non-mufflered nitro engine, although I'll probably comply and go with the mufflered Brodak .25.  I didn't know you could still buy dope & silkspan.  Where do you get it?  Please post a pic of your Magician when it's finished.  Good Luck.  Mike - LVRCC
Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
mathison205

where is the controline flying field in vegas ? i will be there with planes ready to fly. when do you fly on this field i will meet you there. joey
Old 02-14-2011, 06:25 PM
cutaway

Mine balanced perfectly with an unmuffled Fox Stunt .35. Spinning a 10x5 its a good match.
Old 02-14-2011, 06:32 PM
Gungadin

Mike

I recently found out that the silkspan of today is different (not as good) as the silkspan you and I remember. I would not use it again to cover a wing with. Yeah I'm an old 2 stroke junkie myself, and love the smell of glow fuel burning in my engines. This Magician marks my return to C/L flying after 35 years of not flying C/L. After observing my buddies with their electric pattern airplanes, and talking to some high level C/L stunt flyers who switched to electric I decided to give it a try. I should be able to get a lot more practice with the e-Magician than a glow powered version simply because I can fly it at the school yard 2 miles from home, instead of having to travel 20 miles to a C/L flying field. And believe it or not there are performance advantages to electric C/L over glow. Any how I should have it painted and ready to go in the next two weeks. Then when the weather breaks (we still have a foot of snow) I'll test fly it, and practice the stunt pattern.
Old 02-14-2011, 07:37 PM
BoeingFlyer

Joey-

I have yet to build my new Magician or fly it.  I only "know of" the C/L field.  Contact someone from the Las Vegas Radio Control Club (www.LVRCC.com) for directions.  Someone there should know.  ...and let me know too!  Good luck.  Mike

Gungadin-

Like most folks my age, I'm yearning the days of lore and returning to the fond memoirs of C/L.  I mainly fly R/C; 22 planes, 12 nitro and 10 electric.  Both have advantages and disadvantages.  If I had know how expensive BL motors, ESCs, LiPo's, charger & balancers were, I probably wouldn't have gone there!  But... now I have all the equipment.  EP has come a long way, but I still prefer heavier, more powerful nitro planes.  My goal with the Magician is to replicate my 1975 model, which of course was nitro.  Putting a muffler on it is the only modern addition I'm going to add.  BTW, the reason I went with the bigger Fox .40 was because on my 2nd flight, coming out of a loop into the wind, I lost tension on the lines and crashed.  The more powerful engine (with offset) added much more tension, but the bellcrank eventually failed and ripped out of the wing!  I'm still going to use a powerful engine on my Brodak Magician, but I'm going to reinforce the center wing section.  "Experience is something you gain immediately AFTER you need it most!"  Mike
Old 02-15-2011, 02:08 AM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: BoeingFlyer
...but I'm going to reinforce the center wing section...
The notched spar scheme that is stock on the Brodak plans and Midwest kit is not the greatest IMO. With a strong .35 or .40, flown at a fast 2-cycle, that spar can crack. My 35 year old Midwest kit Magician has cracked its spar several times while being flown hard and fast.

A fix that seems to work well is to glue a 1/64" ply doubler about 1/4" wide and 12-18" long on the bottom of the spar. 1/4" balsa reinforcement would do about the same, but is a more cosmetically obvious mod with transparent finishes.
Old 02-15-2011, 04:30 AM
mathison205

Mike i sure will let you know if i here anything looking fwd to flying with you.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:13 AM
markkevin123

Wing Span:41 1/4
Plane Length:30 5/16
Wing Area:430
Engine:.19 to .35
The Fancy Pants is a classic design that combines distinctive lines with excellent performance. Originally produced in the early 1950's by Consolidated, the Fancy Pants design has been a consistent first-place winner in stunt competition and is especially known for its outstanding performance under windy conditions. The design, which features a wing-mounted landing gear is perfect for a Fox .35 and is very easy to build.