Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Top Flite streak question

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Learning to 3D
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite streak question

Well i have decided that i have to many control line planes for the amount of control line flying that i do, i have decided that I'm going to turn my streak into a 2 channel RC plane just for a bit of fun, anyhow before i open up all the covering does anyone know where the extra weight in the right wing is? is there a large washer there and if so is it in the tips or somewhere else? i have put the wing up against the light trying to see if there is a large washer or some other extra weight but i cant see anything. or maybe one half of the wing is just built heavier? I'm not too sure right now

any suggestions would be great

Thanks

Old 10-27-2006, 12:54 AM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Top Flite streak question

Not sure, but the right wing may be longer..?[sm=wink_smile.gif]
Old 10-27-2006, 03:37 AM
ghost123uk

ORIGINAL: Learning to 3D

Well i have decided that i have to many control line planes for the amount of control line flying that i do, i have decided that I'm going to turn my streak into a 2 channel RC plane just for a bit of fun, anyhow before i open up all the covering does anyone know where the extra weight in the right wing is? is there a large washer there and if so is it in the tips or somewhere else? i have put the wing up against the light trying to see if there is a large washer or some other extra weight but i cant see anything. or maybe one half of the wing is just built heavier? I'm not too sure right now

any suggestions would be great

Thanks

The wieght will be in the tip.

But hang on, surely it won't work as a 2 chan as it doesn't have any dihederal.
Unless you plan on converting to airlerons - quite a bit of work there.
Plus, by the time you have finished it ain't going to be a lightweight, nimble ship - is it worth it ?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:37 AM
bobsrc

I did a flight streak conversion 35 yrs. ago and had a ball with it. It died in a mid-aid while flying combat with my buddy. Used an EK radio with the then small red servos with the push pull output arms. Extended the center section sheeting out one more rib bay. Hinged the top sheeting behind the spar on both sides for hatches. The Battery pack went into the leading edge opposite from the engine, the rx in the l.e. behind the engine and the servos where fastened to the bottom sheeting under the hatches. Power was a Greenhead K&B .19 with no throttle control. To launch just grab it by the canopy and give it an under hand toss. Climbed out at a 45 degree angle. Control was aileron and elevator. Easy conversion when starting with a kit.
Good luck,
Been there Bob in Iowa.
Old 10-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Learning to 3D

Thanks for the info, i measured the wing and its the same length each side, i just opened the covering on the tip and there is NO extra weight there! looks like i will have to open a little more to find it, maybe that side is just built heavier? im not to sure. Im planning on elevator and aileron control, and a 0S 25 with no throttle control
Old 10-28-2006, 01:23 PM
Bass1

Why not use a mini or micro servo for throttle. If you mount the tank on the opposite side of the fuse and the throttle servo directly behind the engine you will have minimal weight gain and the SAFETY of an operating throttle plus the added bonus of variabe airspeeds etc.
Old 10-29-2006, 11:33 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or, you could sell it to a CL guy and build another plane that doesn't have the CL controls installed. [8D]

George
Old 10-29-2006, 04:15 PM
Wild Foamy

if you got a indoor flying reciever and 6g servos you could possibly convert it to 2 ch or 3 ch
Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 PM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

Can anyone who knows about C/L tanks tell me why I can't keep positive fuel flow on my Flite Streak? I have not flown it yet and I was breaking in (or trying to) my OS .25.  The engine will not run more than maybe 45 seconds static. The tank placement is exactly where the manual called for as well as the fuel line connections.  Could it be that only in flight with centrifigal force that the tank will supply positive fuel flow  for its full capacity?

Old 06-09-2010, 10:02 AM
mikeainia

What tank are you using, and how much does it hold? A metal 'wedge' type tank, with the fuel pickup in the wedge, will run down to about half-full on the ground, at which point the fuel pickup is sucking air only. In flight, centrifugal force will keep the fuel at the pickup until it's almost all gone.

FliteStreak has a pretty short nose, therefore not much room for a big tank. I have a 'Profile wedge' tank on mine that holds maybe 2 1/2 or 3 oz. With the motor set for a wet 2-cycle it still runs for over 4 minutes in the air (muffled Merco .35) with a 9-6 prop, so I would expect maybe 2 minutes on the ground.

If you have a smaller tank and are set for a rich run, maybe 45 - 60 seconds is about right. If it quits and you immediately refuel and restart and it runs for another 45 - 60 seconds, it probably IS just running out of fuel.

Just thought of something else - is this the ARF Flite Streak and the tank that is supplied with it? Some of them leak!
Old 06-09-2010, 10:22 PM
MTIPilot
My Feedback: (121)

Thanks mikeainia for the info. I do have an ARF Flite Streak and I did see fuel running off the tank.  I thought it was attributable to leaky tubing ,but they seemed to be tight enough. With that in mind, a tank leak could be the reason although I can't see were it's originating.  The tank still seemed to be at least a third full each time after the engine quit.  I can put a larger tank on it however it can't exceed 2 1/4 inches length. I do have more room width wise.