Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Sig Buster

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sig Buster

A friend popped up with a Sig Buster. Saying he was too busy with other projects, he asked me if I'd like to build it so we could both fly it. Well, I had a Cox .15 Sportsman that needed a unique home. (you don't waste an engine like that on an ordinary airframe!) So here the kit sits on my desk. Not too many parts here! I should be able to get this guy built pretty quick, but I've no real experience with C/L kits. The instructions have a little blurb about finishing, but it leaves more questions than answers. They recommend painting straight onto the sanded/sealed wood. I'd always heard that the balsa would eventually split doing that. It will be painted, not filmed. Can I use Sig Koverall or is it unecessary or just plain ol' too heavy?
    Coming soon to a grass field near you...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Sig Buster

I just covered mine with several coats of Rustoleum. It might not be very resistant to higher nitro fuel though. Mine just has an old Fox 15 running mild fuel so that hasn't been a problem.

I had a Sig Buster with an O.S. 15 engine, and Alkaid enamel worked best for me. I went to Sherwin Williams and purchased a product similar to Rustoleum, but don't remember the brand. It's an oil based high-gloss, and the color matched the photo illustration well. I brushed one coat with a china bristle brush, then let it dry for 24 hours. Then, I brushed a second coat and it turned out nicely. The Sig Buster is an excellent flying plane, but don't expect it to be a stunter. It's best suited for strait flights, and it gets up to a good moderate speed. It's really too bad I had to sell mine, but those are the breaks.

NorfolkSouthern

Oh by the way: Can you put up some photos of the kit? I'd like to see another Buster. Maybe I should build another one!

NorfolkSouthern

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Sure, pictures would be easy enough. So you guys didn't use tissue or anything, huh? I expect to start (and finish) sometime in the next few days, so expect the pictures then. Elwyn, I've got some Sig Champion 5/25 all castor fuel that I plan on using. That's about as mild as you can get nitro-wise, but I do worry about the hot castor spraying all over the finish. I've got some Nelson paint that I plan on using.(w/cross-linker) That stuff is soooo thin that your surface has to be absolutely perfect before spraying.
    Coming soon to a grass field near you...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

For a smoother finish you can cover bare wood with silkspan or even tissue. Jim

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I second Gollywock, use preshrunk tissue doped down with no or low shrink dope and the color of your choice. as racers they definitely go with the lighter is better crowd. Make patterns of the parts so you can make two and race.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Can anybody tell me the diameter of the wire landing gear on the Sig Buster and what size wheels it uses? Thanks ahead of time!
    Chuck

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a Monokote covered example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzr8gT3wddE

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I had one in the 70s and i coverd it with iron on. Econokoat? I think.
    A low temp iron on
    This is an old thread.... So how did the plane turn out?
    MidAtlanticCombat