Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Voodoo Plane

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 02:35 PM
Patchystar04

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Voodoo Plane

Back in the day my day flew a Control line Flying wing type thing called a Voodoo. he Built it from plans he got and was his favorite childhood memory. So if anyone could tell me where to get these plans *or you could scan em and send em* if you have them?!?!?! I wanted to give em to him for X-mas. It looks like the picture that is attached
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Gd93697.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	558834  
Old 11-12-2006, 07:28 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Voodoo Plane

Go to this site: http://www.controllineplans.com/

Go to page 4 of combat plans and you will find Riley Wooten's Voodoo. Click on the name and you can see a small size of the plan. Your sketch says Voodoo Jr. Perhaps it is a smaller modified 1/2a size version your Dad designed based on the larger Voodoo. In any case, you can buy a set of Voodoo plans from Barry Baxter and I imagine your Dad will be pleased.
Old 11-13-2006, 03:55 AM
greggles47

G'day WW,

I don't know if I'm reading too much into the sketch, but it looks to me like an .049 motor on the plan. It seems to be at least an adaptation of the much larger Voodoo that Jim has mentioned.

If it is anything other than that get back and let us know more information about when "back in the day" was and where he flew could help.

Regards

Greggles
Old 11-13-2006, 07:11 AM
da Rock

I believe the original Voodoo was actually a "smaller" model than a lot of us remember. I believe it was originally designed to use 36" sticks for the long parts to keep the price down and make the building faster. And the motor mount on the model in those plans is pretty stout. The engine bearers shown in the plan are certainly large enough for a 36X (which is what I had on all of mine).

BTW, wendywalmart, if your dad worked from original Voodoo plans, then the plans at http://www.controllineplans.com/ ought to be exactly what you're looking for.
Old 11-13-2006, 10:57 PM
Patchystar04

yes his engine was a .049. He says that it's looks like the right kit (so much for a surprize). Does that kit on http://www.controllineplans.com/ have a .049 engine.? if so then that's the one...I just don't wanna spend $12 for the wrong plane. Thanks

PS He flew in Indiana... around 1968. It was the 'VOODOO' not the Jr. or the supersized one (they also had a super mini one-he was simply listing all the kinds that exsisted for referrence)
Indiana, 1968
'VOODOO' 36''

Thanks again for your help
Old 11-14-2006, 11:03 AM
Jim Thomerson

The plan is for the original 35 size Voodoo. I'd bet your Dad flew one of those as well.
Old 11-14-2006, 05:12 PM
Patchystar04

when you say 35 sized voodoo what does that mean...engine or wingspan or just model????
Old 11-14-2006, 10:37 PM
Patchystar04

and what does CAD mean in the "kit description" thingy... they have kit and CAD what do those mean

PS please answer above statement to!!!
Old 11-14-2006, 10:46 PM
Jim Thomerson

A 35 engine, in this case. Displacement of @ 0.35 cubic inches, about 7 times as large as an .049. The original Voodoo was designed about 1959. They were kitted by Top Flite and were a very popular airplane. Most control line old-timers have flown a Voodoo at one time or another. They were designed for control line combat and were fast and maneuverable.

CAD plans are modern plans using "Computer Aided Design". the kit prices are just for interest, telling you that is what the kits cost back in the 60's. There was a single kit to build one, and a double to build two. I understand that Riley Wooten got 25 cents for each kit sold. (Don't know if he got 50 cents for the double
Old 11-15-2006, 04:13 AM
ghost123uk

Can I just clarify something.

The Voodoo, as shown in the links further up this thread, is a plan only, not a kit.
Old 11-15-2006, 08:10 AM
da Rock

wendy, To give you some more info just for the fun of it......

The original Voodoo was one of the first 100mph combat airplanes that was available in a kit. And 100mph on 60foot lines was something else. That airplane was popular because it was easy to build, decently fast, and would keep most of it's speed through the turns. And it pulled a streamer without much fuss. Some of the other combat wings that were popular just before the Voodoo hit the market would slow down in the turns or weren't as fast after turning or took longer to build. The Voodoo was the hot plane of it's era for a couple of years. So your dad was flying about the hottest airplane of his time.

Guys who flew combat back then were usually the better flyers. They often flew their own plane while watching the other guy's airplane, not their own.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
fox4evr

There is a guy that sells on Ebay that has Voodoo kits for sale. He is located in Hawaii. I purchased one some time ago. Its a good wood kit. You must supply your own control set up and hardware. I will see if I can find his information.
Lee TGD

Here is an item # he is selling on the bay right now.. You can contact him from there. 150059790240
Old 11-25-2006, 10:51 PM
outtamyway

If I remember correctly, the .049 version of the Voodoo was called the lil' Satan. They were one of my all time favorites. Here is the only picture I could find of it-- [link=http://www.wattflyer.com/photoplog/index.php?n=1015]Lil' Satan[/link]
[link=http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11697]More pics[/link]

I also found these...
[link=http://www.modelaircraft.org/plansall/l-plans.pdf]Lil Satan Plans[/link]
Old 11-25-2006, 11:39 PM
Patchystar04

could you please redo that hyper link it isn't working THAnks abunch
Old 01-10-2007, 02:15 PM
mole2000

i just got the plans from a guy on ebay..full size..36" and all parts are scale and can be traced..full instructions and detailed drawing..well worth the 12 bucks or so that I spent..Iused to build the kits in the 70s
Old 01-22-2007, 04:14 AM
smokewagon44

my first experience with flying combat was with a voodoo. my dad set it up with an old fox combat special(needle bearing). that was in 1975. it was still somewhat competative.
i flew them at the 76 nationals as a junior. believe it or not i still have three voodoos in the basement and was eyeing them up for restoration for fun flying, they're in pretty good shape but could use a little t.l.c. i've had a lot of fun and still have some fond memories of this plane. as a matter of fact i am building one of riley's other planes right now....a sneeker!
Old 01-23-2007, 02:55 AM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

The Voodoo was a 36" .36 size combat model. Any other design smaller would have been a Jr. Satan and then a little Satan. I have just recently recieved a set of plans as well and it is amazing how similar it is constructed to a modern combat model. I have never flown a Voodoo but have flown combat for the last 12 years. The Voodoo and Satan line of kits was originally sold by Carl Goldberg models and the Lil Satan can still be found. The others are very rare and when up for auction go for a very high price (for what they are).
Old 01-23-2007, 05:02 AM
smokewagon44

i just got back into flying combat last year, using gotcha psycho's. i can still remember when voodoos and sneekers and of course the nemisis were considered state of the art! put a super tigre with a pen bladder on one of these ships and you had one heck of an airplane.
Old 01-27-2007, 12:04 AM
vertical grimmace

One more item, there was also a Super Satan. These were really cool looking and I suppose they would have flown very well. No kit was ever manufactured but I had seen a construction article in an old Flying models I think. The key to this design was the tapered wing and high aspect ratio. Very difficult to reproduce in quantity and this design came along close to when foam was introduced. That is when we were led into what many fly now until the Euro FAI arfs appeard.
I still fly foamies and my design is called a Nimbus. It has won many local events and I currenly have several ready for battle.
Old 01-27-2007, 02:04 AM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is the Nimbus what you flew at the Airpark at noon at the quickie race? It was quite agile.

I flew a Voodoo with a ST G21-35 many years ago. I think it was doing a bit more than 100mph, it felt insanely fast, but didn't turn like a modern design. I later converted a Guillotine combat design to RC, as that was done back in the late 60's and early 70's.
Old 01-28-2007, 12:31 PM
vertical grimmace

Yes, the Nimbus is what I flew at the Q-500 race. It is very difficult to find enough combat flyers now to organize contests, so I am pretty much only flying RC racing and RC combat now. There are still foamie kits available and the Corehouse is a good source. The days of the big money combat contests seem to be fading as the Bladder grabber and the Top gun are showing decreased numbers. The Nelsons make the planes very fast (120-125). Now the most popular is the speed limit events and we always flew 80 mph GX rules here in CO.

RP
Old 02-15-2007, 12:00 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget the Jr. Satan which was a Carl Goldberg kit. It had a 29" wing and was designed for .15 or .19 engines.

A nice lightweight Cox TD .15 would have been the hot ticket at the time but I flew mine with McCoy & Fox .19's.

I also had a Flight Streak Jr. with a K&B Greenhead .19.

I think I had more flights on these two models than anything else I ever built in C/L. Both models were extremely easy to fly well.

Never did crash either model and finally sold them when I decided to venture into early R/C, wish I had kept them.

I do have a new kit for the Jr. Satan and may just build it one of these days. Still have some older .19 engines, might use a Veco .19.
Old 06-26-2007, 09:59 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: vertical grimmace

One more item, there was also a Super Satan. These were really cool looking and I suppose they would have flown very well.
I had a Super Satan. Roughly similar in performance to the Winder/Spectrum class planes. Curiously, the plans had you build a slight intentional warp into the outboard wing. I'd like to build another cuz they did look pretty cool, but my plans were destroyed by water damage from a burst pipe a couple of years ago.
Old 01-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Windsor Ontario

I was cleaning my basement earlier and came across my old “Voodoo” fuselage hanging from a nail. It still had an engine mounted to it. I removed the engine and through out the fuselage. I then starting thinking about the good old days when I use to fly it. That lead me to the internet and I found your request.
Anyhow if you’re still in need of the plans, I found them in my original model box for the Voodoo. It was a Carl Goldberg model called “Riley Wooten’s Voodoo”. It had a 36” wingspan and was sized for a .19 to .35 engine.
I know it’s too late for Christmas but your welcome to a copy of the plans if you would like them. Let me know and I’ll scan them in sections and you can piece them back together.
Marty

Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Brodak now makes the Lil' Satan. Check it out under CL Kits, Brodak, 1/2A series, last page:

http://www.brodak.com/shop.php?pageN...CategoryID=133

George

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.