Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Stunt Chimp

Old 11-27-2006, 11:15 PM
AG Bill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stunt Chimp

I had plans I downloaded and decided to build one for each of my 3 grandsons. The sheet wing and profile fuse seem easy and hopefully durable. Does anyone have experience with this model? The plan did not recommend line lengths or specific engine. I am thinking Cox Baby Bee and 30 foot lines. Any comments, recommendations or advise are certainly welcome.
Old 11-28-2006, 07:08 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Stunt Chimp

Never heard of the model. What wing area? What weight expected?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:44 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As I recall, the Stunt Chimp is like a slightly larger TopFlite Stuntman. Should fly very well. I think you will find it tail heavy with a Baby Bee. For kid flying to start, it will fly fine balanced on the leading edge. Maybe put a big washer or two behind the Baby Bee, if necessary. Where did you download the plans from?
Old 11-28-2006, 10:02 PM
AG Bill

I'm not even sure anymore where I got the plans. The plan shows to have been drawn by Doug Carson in '96. When I tried to relocate the site I came across very similar plans at Richard Stewart's site, http//au.geocities.com/rbs588490/plans,htm. My plan has a span of 21" for an area of about 97 square inches. When I stacked balsa parts and engine on my cheap little spring scale it showed 4.5 oz. Hopefully the weight will stay under 8 oz. finished. Thanks for the tip about the CG location for beginners. It's been years since I attempted CL flying with my son so I'm beginning all over again myself. I'm trying to decide on a finish. I have some Econocote left over from an abandoned sailplane project, or I could order some dope from Sig or Brodac as the LHS doesn't have much to choose from. I was worried that I might warp the sheet wing with the dope. Thanks for the advise.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:02 PM
NEW222

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

plans are at the aeromaniacs website under free plans. I will try posting the link. There is no pic, just the link located just below the half lite stunter.[link]http://www.aeromaniacs.com/Freeplans.htm[/link]
Old 11-29-2006, 07:52 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

AG Bill,

The plans show a radial engine mount that will take any of the Cox .049 engines with tank. I think the Aeromaniacs recommend using a Black Widow but a Babe Bee should work fine. With that engine, the 30' lines should be about right. I would recommend a 5 1/2 x 3 prop and fuel with 15%-25% nitro and about 20% lube (castor/synthetic mix).

If I remember correctly, you can download both plans and assembly instructions. I would suggest at least reviewing the instructions to look for any hints or improvements.

Good luck and enjoy.

George
Old 11-29-2006, 08:55 PM
AG Bill

I saw Spider Wire fishing line mentioned for use on control line planes. I know the .049 planes were commonly flown on dacron lines. Has anyone used Spider Wire for small models? I appreciate all the input. The tips on balance point and prop and fuel recommendations should help toward a successful start, though I suspect things will get broken pretty quickly. But not a lot of investment for the excitement of the noisey engines and challenge of getting the planes to fly a cicuit or two. I'm still thinking about a finish. I know the planes are going to take a beating , but I want them to look attractive enough to interest the youngsters. Would Econocote be too heavy? I have some clear hot fuel proof dope and a small amount of colored fuel proof dope, but I'm afraid of warping the sheet balsa wings. I would like some recommendations.
Old 11-30-2006, 09:57 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: AG Bill
I saw Spider Wire fishing line mentioned for use on control line planes. I know the .049 planes were commonly flown on dacron lines. Has anyone used Spider Wire for small models?
As far as I know, Spider Wire is used ONLY for small ~.049 models. When you get better at it you may want to switch to .008x35' steel wire. It is harder to handle but has less drag.

I'm still thinking about a finish. I know the planes are going to take a beating , but I want them to look attractive enough to interest the youngsters. Would Econocote be too heavy? I have some clear hot fuel proof dope and a small amount of colored fuel proof dope, but I'm afraid of warping the sheet balsa wings. I would like some recommendations.
Since you are going to bang them up a bit I would suggest all dope. Oil from fuel tends to creep under iron-on coverings. A decent basic finish: Sand the balsa well with fine sandpaper, brush on two coats of clear - sanding after each coat. One final coat of clear followed by two coars of color. Add trim (your Econocote might be good here). Keep it simple, the planes must be light and expendable, although sheet balsa planes can usually be easily repaired.

Before you start, look up the types of balsa grains (A, B, and C). The SIG site is a good place for that information. You should be using "C" grain for sheet balsa models.

George
Old 12-05-2006, 04:46 AM
f2d kid

hi im 13
and this model was the first model i ever built
i used a blackwidow with a tornado 5.3
on 30 foot lines.
i also made one with more wing area
witch flew much better.
Old 12-06-2006, 10:42 AM
AG Bill

I want to thank you all for your input. I intend to follow all your suggestions and expect it will make the building and flying more successful. I had already begun putting the planes together so I didn't increase the wing area as suggested by f2d kid, but if a rebuild becomes necessary I will keep that in mind. The grand kids probably won't visit until after the holidays so it may be a while before I post a flight report. Thanks again for all the input.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:59 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

The Stunt Chimp is the same as the Carl Goldberg Stunt Man 23. I built one as a kid . This is the plane I learned to fly CL with. About 5 years ago I built about 15 of them with our church boys group. We used the Norvel .061 with the Norvel tank mount. We used Spiderwire,however .008 braided wire is better but requires more careful handling.they fly pretty well. I think it is an excellent plan to use to learn to fly CL. Here is a picture of one that has been crashed about 100 times. several people learned to fly on this one. My son my wife at least 3 teenagers.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51662.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	573043  
Old 12-06-2006, 10:07 PM
jim52519
My Feedback: (3)

Here are a couple of pictures of a new prestine Stunt Chimp.

Name:	Ay75139.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	573045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy77759.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	573046  
Old 12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
colingw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just finished one of these myself, built from the plans on the Aeromaniacs site. Power is a Black Widow which has been doctored with a #5 TD.051 piston/liner and #1702 high compression head. Prop will either be an APC 6x2 or 5.7x3.

Mine came out a touch heavy, at just over 8oz. I'm considering sticking a Norvel .061 in it and flying it on longer lines just to see what happens :-)

I haven't flown it yet. I took it out the other day, but my battery died after a couple of flights with another model, so it came home still a virgin.

This was my first new model in nearly 20 years, and a fine, easy to follow plan, to re-awaken my very rusty construction skills.

Name:	Ay75324.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	33.9 KB
ID:	579880   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86717.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	579881