Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

OS FSR for C/L?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 07:52 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default OS FSR for C/L?

I have a couple of new OS FSR motors, a 40 and a 45. I found and bought venturi's and needle valve assemblies and will be trying them as c/l motors. Anyone have any history with these engines used for c/l? Not expecting a 4-2 break but a solid steady run. Prop size, suggested rpm, tank type, and fuel would be questions I'd like insight on. The fuel would seem easy as they love10-15% nitro and 18 oil over at the rc field, but the rest are a little bit more tricky. Thanks in advance. Too much engine for the Gieseke Nobler?
Old 03-28-2012, 01:24 PM
controlliner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OS FSR for C/L?

These engines will pull a barn at a very rich setting. You will have a sore back and arm.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:16 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Paul Walker used FSR's in the late 70's/early 80's to good effect. He did it much like the run of a tuned pipe model with low pitch/high RPM. He used 40's and 45's, I believe they were about 600 to 650 sq in models. Too much for a Nobler? Maybe, but it's probably just too heavy. A Sig Magnum, Shark 45, or something along that line might be a good model.
I would pick Paul's brain to see what he has to say about the props/fuel/plugs, venturis, etc. One could send him a PM on Stunt Hangar or Stuka Stunt forums. I think it's still a good set-up, the LA's and FP's run similarly but the FSR's have much more power so can fly a bigger model.
Chris...
Old 03-28-2012, 11:40 PM
Hossfly

JoXX, The OS FSR at its time was the O.S. top dawg! There were many clones. The Royals, and the first Asps plus others that escape me at the moment.

The Royals threw rods and crankcases rathe quickly. However those ASPs as imported by the late World Engines were and are excellent. Easy to start and handle, and just as powerful as the O.S. When World Engines passed on to Indy RC which was assumed by Horizon and the ASP was significantly changed, and I have no clues to whatever happened after that. I have several old ASPs, NIB. The secret to knowing the FSR is the bolt-on front crankcase.

I never followed O.S. much for reasons unknown. However if they were like the ASP (O.S. Clone) the OS may need a couple headgaskets to help get a better CL type run.

Remember that the RC run is a tad different and probably current OS may have a different compression ratio than the FSR. Back in those days, anything over 10% nitro was
"High Nitro" and most engines were 6:1 to 10:1 ratios which worked well for general flying. Some of the engines today are - and were - back then, overly compressed to attain high power at little nitro. If you sock 15% in your FSR it may not like it very well. I use 5 to 10% for my old engines.
I remember that the FAI pylon and CL Speed were restricted to NO nitro and used 18-22 : 1 compression ratios. Glenn Lee, an old timer in CL Speed could turn 28,000 rpm with 80% methonal and 20% castor oil. I couldn't get 20,000 with 70% nitro. [&o] OTOH I blew some crankshafts on FR engines.

See you around when you get those machines going.
Old 03-29-2012, 11:12 AM
4u2nv-RCU
My Feedback: (28)

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

First off, thanks for the info. I am currently flying a Profile Smoothie with a 32sf and it has plenty of power with an 11/4 prop. I bought the parts but it will be a while before I will put them to use as I will have to find/build a suitable airframe! I will be starting an Ultra Hobbies Geiseke Nobler and was toying with he idea of using the 40 in her. If weight will be an issue I do have several other motors(heck, I might even use that 32 from the Smoothie). I have a 40th ANN. Fox, a NIB OS 35S, and an OS40FP converted to CL that I could use for her. Horrace, I will bring the Smoothie my next trip to Jetero and you can take a spin, literally!!LOL Off to Stunt Hangar to find MR. Walker!! Peace!!
Old 03-29-2012, 02:09 PM
stuntflyr

I think any of your other engines would be just right for the UHP G. Nobler. I am using a L&J Fox 35 in mine. If I ever get it finished I'll tell you how it goes!
Chris...
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

4u2nv...

The "newer" engines ( to me that is, I'm old...): schneurle porting, ABC or similar metals, were mostly designed for RC use, where they sell the great majority of engines.

As a result, they were designed for higher RPM use, where they produce a lot of useful power if you do it right. Parts of the approach include muffler pressure, flat pitch props, and fuel with considerable synthetic oil in the oil portion.

Examples: Fuels for ABC-schneurle stunt engines are around 10% nitro, 10% castor and 10% synthetic. The synthetic keeps the engines cleaner inside, so the carefully dimensioned ABC fits work well. Castor helps carry away heat.

Props allow a low-2-cycle- setting at somewhere between 9500 and 11000 RPM - a lot higher than the old steel and iron engines liked. Props around 4" pitch allow them to run happily at modest load. Sort of like driving a stick-shift sports car in 2d gear. Lotsa RPM, and you can hold RPM up and down hills and through very sharp cornering without blowing up the engine.

Your 32 is pretty close to that idea...

LUCK! Enjoy and share your results with us?
Old 05-15-2012, 02:43 PM
Clancy Arnold

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4u2nv-RCU
Ifly an OS25 FSR in several of my CL models. Example below with Little Marvin on the Throttle via my U/Tronics Control handle.
Clancy

The Server (ERROR500) will not let me post a picture!! I posted the same picture on another forum today.