Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Nostalgia - recognise any?

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Nostalgia - recognise any?

Old 03-11-2007, 05:43 AM
camdyson

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nostalgia - recognise any?

Just cleared out an elderly genleman's modelling room - wonder if anyone recognises any of this. All goods donated to my R/C club, so will probably aim to auction most, except the plane (have wing too - apparently flew in Reno 1984 Nats if that helps?!) Owner is a Mr Blanchard from Melbourne, Australia.

I guess alot of the engines are control line, or pre-R/C, as alot of diesels, and without throttles. Enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97802.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	639757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id95413.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	639758   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pv53064.jpg
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	639759  
Old 03-11-2007, 05:51 AM
camdyson

Default RE: Nostalgia - recognise any?

And more....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf10000.jpg
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	639761   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf14488.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	639762   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq36784.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	639763  
Old 03-11-2007, 08:01 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Under the canopy it's got Waldo Tyrrell signed there and I think this might have been Monty Tyrrell (from Melbourne). There's now a Monty Tyrrell Memorial day held each year.

A few rather nice engines in that collection too.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:10 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Camdyson.

I'm surprised to see what looks like a Fox 35 in this model!(Edit 1: cerebral flatulence on the name of the magazine John Pond wrote for.)(Edit 2: despite the wording on the front of this Mercury Monitor, -"Taipan .21 powered" - that IS a Fox .35, or other clone of same!)

I was Event Director for the first PAMPA-conducted USA Nationals Old Time Stunt event - through cordial coordination with SAM's John Pond (deeply missed) - in 1984 at Reno, Nevada, USA. Monty (the Great) Tyrrell flew a Merc Monitor with a Taipan .25 (edit 2: .21) "pitman" was one Gordon Burford(!) Monty grazed American soil in consecutive loops in his first flight - bent the shaft of the Taipan engine. Sad - and don't laugh!, the manufacturer himself could not restart his engine for Monty's second round flight.

Gordon and Monty had better success in SAM FF and RC events, and from what they said, had a great time in their visit to 'the other' rebellious colonies.

Verification? John Pond's coverage of the 1984 AMA Nationals in (defunct) Model Builder magazine. I have a copy of aforesaid, and could scan it in here, if necessary. (The "bar-studs" comment cements my recall - it was there in John P's column!)

NB: I owe Monty much - a repro of his "Buckjumper" won me a trophy at our VSC Spark event in 2001! He, as so many of our greats, did what he did - not for posterity, but just because it should be done. He has become, and properly, legendary.

Now, onward and upward to the other posts in this thread...

Old 03-13-2007, 05:25 AM
camdyson

Thanks for the reply Lou,

I'd love to see that article if you can scan it - suspect there's an ol' fellow in a local nursing home who'd get a kick.

Best wishes,

Cam
Old 03-13-2007, 05:11 PM
build light

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would have to assume there is no wing to go with that fuselage. Too bad.

Though I do not know any of the names signed, I feel this piece deserves to be in a museum somewhere.

Robert
Old 03-14-2007, 07:05 AM
camdyson

Actually there IS a wing to go with it - stripped of it's nylon (?) but perfect. I wil hopefully get this aircraft into the MAAA's museum here - if it still exists. Certainly a bit of history.

Cheers,

Cam
Old 03-15-2007, 05:59 AM
Ployd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Cam

You will probably find that the wing was originally covered in silk (a lost art!). Henry J Nickols (308 Hollaway rd, England) had a long association Monty Tyrrell in the early 50's (along with Derry Brown and Adrian Bryant who's still with us) so you have a unique piece of history on your hands.

Ployd
Old 03-27-2007, 07:19 PM
Lou Crane

Cam,

Apologies for the delayed reply - first - VSC 14-17 March; second - a week halfway across the USA to play grandpa and drag grandma back home. (She'd gone out there just before VSC started.)

Still catching up on a wonderful lost 10 days or so. I should be able to dig that FM article out shortly. Would you prefer it as attachment to a direct email? It may run quite a few bytes...

Old 03-27-2007, 07:25 PM
Lou Crane

Ployd,

I hope silking wings is not a lost art! You are much closer to the silkworms than we. Silk should still be available. Costs a tad more, eh?

Silk is actually easier to apply than most fabric coverings, and looks SO much prettier...

Old 03-28-2007, 07:27 AM
Ployd

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi Lou

I might be closer to the silkworms but at the prices they charge for a piece the size of a pocket hankerchief I can understand why coloured "garbage bags" are used to cover models these days. I still know how to apply tissue and polyester so I haven't lost all the skills

Ployd