Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

RD-1 designed by Bob Hunt??

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

RD-1 designed by Bob Hunt??

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 07:16 PM
MrSteve09

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RD-1 designed by Bob Hunt??

I am interested in building the RD-1, by Bob Hunt. Does anyone have any information or experience with this airplane?? I'm under the impression that this plane is designed with a foam wing. Since my building skills are limited to built-up balsa construction, I was wondering if anyone has used a built-up wing for this airplane?

Also,... I seem to recall someone telling me that the RD-1 uses the same wing as the Sig Twister? I don't know if this is a figment of my imagination or if this is really true.

Can anyone verify or accurately dispute these theories of mine??

Any information would be appreciated, thanks!!

Sincerely,
Steve Teerlinck
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 09-11-2007, 01:28 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: RD-1 designed by Bob Hunt??

Steve,

The RD-1 may have been a magazine article feature in Model Aviation or Flying Models. AMA's website allows reviewing Model Aviation articles. Flying Models has an on-line plans service catalog.

You might still be able to buy the plans. If it was in Model Aviation, you can review the article.

Seem to remember it as a tapered wing, so not the same as a Twister. If it was a foamie, you can use root and tip templates to create ribs for a Flite Streak type wing structure.

Sure, some work, but that can be very gratifying!

Old 09-11-2007, 04:08 PM
bikemike

It was in Flying Models and at one time Bob hunt did a series of articals on how to build the RD 1. I think I have all the issues.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM
crigotti
My Feedback: (3)

Steve,
The RD-1 and Twister wing are the same. The Twister wing might be a little longer. The plans can be had from Flying Models. I built 2 and they were very good stunt trainers.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:10 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Try: http://www.carstens-publications.com..._directory.php for Flying Models plans. A search on RD-1 will yield:

CF858 RD-1 C/L Profile Hunt, Bob .28-.35 48" 06/91 $8.00 easy-to-build design for Stunt training or competition

The rest is up to you.

George
Old 09-19-2007, 01:22 PM
MrSteve09

Thank you to everyone who responded,...

Thank you very much for verifying that the Twister and the RD-1 have the same wing!!

I have already ordered the plans from Flying Models. Now I'm just waiting for them to arrive. Its been almost two weeks and I'm starting to get anxious.

I also ordered a Sig Twister wing kit, which I picked up from my local hobby shop last week. Unfortunately it didn't come with plans so now I'm waiting again for Sig Twister plans, ha!!

Hopefully it won't be long before I begin building this plane. I'm anxious to build.

Thanks again to everyone who supplied info and encouragement!!

Sincerely,
Steve T.
Monson, Massachusetts
Old 09-24-2007, 10:26 PM
Mike Palko

ORIGINAL: Lou Crane
Seem to remember it as a tapered wing, so not the same as a Twister. If it was a foamie, you can use root and tip templates to create ribs for a Flite Streak type wing structure.
Could you be thinking of the Prowler?

Mike