Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

McCoy 35/40 question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:19 PM
lukesp

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default McCoy 35/40 question

I own four McCoy 35s and they all have the piston baffle on the "wrong" side of the engine, i.e. the baffle is closer to the exhaust port and the offset plug is also closer to the exhaust port (due to the slot in the head matching the baffle). Is this standard? I have yet to use these engines. Any tips and quips would be appreciated.

I also own a McCoy 40 stunt engine in pieces, therefore I have no reference as to where the baffle is. Are the 40s the same as the 35s, in other words is the McCoy 40 piston baffle also closer to the exhaust port?

George Aldrich swore by the McCoy 40, so I would love to get this thing running. If George liked them they must have something going for them.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:22 PM
cutaway

Default RE: McCoy 35/40 question

They're put together wrong.
Old 09-21-2007, 01:54 AM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, that's wrong. The baffle has to be on the transfer side but seeing that's wrong then I'd check to make sure the liner is in the right way too (top of exhaust port is higher than the transfer port). Also check that the rod is the right way round when you turn the piston 180 so that the small chamfer on one end of the bush is facing towards the crankweb.
Old 09-21-2007, 04:52 AM
lukesp

Agreed, I have never seen an engine yet to have the baffle on the wrong side other than these four. The weird thing is that they came from different sources, two from one, two from another (not Ebay either) and one of them was new. Bizarre. Why anyone would swap them around like that is beyond me. The cylinders are in the correct orientation, That was the first thing I checked when I got them.

Downunder, appreciate the tip re the conrod.
Old 09-21-2007, 11:12 AM
cutaway

Just sloppy assembly workers. It happens all the time with all sorts of stuff. They probably "ran" when given a test pop and went into the box. I've heard it happened with Fox's too, although I never got one like that. This generation of McCoy's were the "bargain" motor of the day and punched out in quantity.

The "new" one can probably be flipped successfully, the well used ones might suffer some pretty severe compression loss with the piston liner having to re-breakin. Might work if there's still a shiny band at the top of the piston indicating they don't have much running time on'em.
Old 09-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Cutaway,

A lot of the McCoy steel-fin engines were so "reasonable" in price that they were more likely to be disassembled and (often wrongly) reassembled by VERY inexperienced people. I dearly HOPE the factory assembly troops knew better! Not precludng the possibility, of course, but despite the low cost of the engines, there were some very good people in the vicinity... Dick McCoy was in on developing all of the early ones, I believe. Bill Netzeband worked on them during the square-block/Dykes ring/ Series 21 era. Both are legendary in the best of 'circles.'

Also, as a callow youth, I did reassemble one of the first slant plug steel-fin baffle 15s wrong-way around. Easy to do. Head doesn't fit because the fence is on the wrong side? Turn the head around. Whaddya mean the 'higher port' faces the exhaust stack? I can see a port when I look in there...

Anyway, lukesp has it right, now.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:35 PM
cutaway

I never had much faith in factory mass production workers. Even a new O.S. .15LA I bought a few months ago came with a large metal sliver sitting (very obviously) right on top of the piston.
Old 09-21-2007, 09:46 PM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those Testors-<cCoy .35 engines also had different plug locations. I have one located in the center, one near the exhaust port and I did have one that was rear left but I think I traded it off to Currell.

The first TM .35 had no flats on the venturi.

The later matte-finish lightning bolt case models were better built.

I know the .19 redhead stunt engines had different crank timing than their bluehead RC counterparts.