Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

C/L scale handle

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 04:37 PM
wyrflyr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C/L scale handle

I am about to buy a controller/decoder for a c/l project.
There is a handle called the Scale-Master with a great picture
of the handle.
But, when I go to the web site it looks like a general product search type of site
with none of the links going anywhere useful. Does anyone know how to get in
touch with the people who make this product?

Jerry
Old 10-04-2007, 07:29 PM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: C/L scale handle

Where did you get the picture of the handle?

What is the full name of the company and the handle?

Where did you find out about it?

What is the website you're going to?
Old 10-05-2007, 09:15 AM
wyrflyr

This is the site..found on google search.

control line scale handle

finitesite.com/scalemaster/

today it is not comming up at all.

Jerry
Old 10-05-2007, 11:43 AM
clscale-RCU
My Feedback: (7)

There are other handles you should consider instead of the Scalemaster handle:

1) Bill Young out of Flagstaff Arizona has sold handles are smaller and lighter than the Scalemaster

2) Also consider using the JR radio setup with the DSC chord. The transmitter hangs on your belt and you use a normal stunt handle. I like this method better. It's not as hard as you would think.

3) I also use a single channel setup that is basically a 555 Timer circuit and hangs off my belt for my scale and carrier models.

Good luck
Old 10-05-2007, 04:16 PM
wyrflyr

Fred,

I was about to order a Clancy Arnold encoder/decoder set-up for a twin-engine airplane.
(before the Scale-Master was in the picture)
Should both engines be controlled by one-channel or separate throttle servos?

Since Clancy's is not in a box, was going to build a handle with the controls on the top and
offset to the left because I fly right handed.

Jerry
Old 10-06-2007, 08:04 AM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Jerry,
I have built 8 twins to date and three are control line. I use one channel for the throttle. If one engine is a little stronger than the other you can mount it on the inboard side. Some R/C guys use two throttle channels, but with a computer transmitter so that they can match the rpm's throughout the throttle range. I don't think i t is worth the effort. I sure would not use two sticks to control two unmixed channels on a C/L model. Any mistake where you moved only one stick would be instant demise of your model. I am like Fred in that I use a JR radio in the direct servo control mode. It is very easy to set everything up for your left hand; my Hs129 has throttle, flaps, retracts, and bomb drop. I use mine with a neck strap.
Chuck
Old 10-06-2007, 09:16 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you can use the capabilities of a computer radio for a mulit engined CL model, they can do some things for multi's that are really worth considering.

Mixing allows you to tune each engine separately to run their best and most reliable settings. And they can then be synced with one mix. And with better radios, their throttle response can be tuned all the way from idle to max to match the two engines perfectly. This often turns a marginallly safe mulit into an absolutely reliable one.

And you can also use the radio to vary the inboard to outboard to do special things. For example if you mix the two throttles with the rudder as master, the RC airplane can taxi with the engines providing the turning force. Obviously, a CL handle connected to the pitch controls isn't going to be able to perform that taxi trick, but think about what that engine balance can do for us.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:01 PM
clscale-RCU

I control my twin engine models with one channel and separate servos.

If you did get a radio (with DSC) that had the proper mixing you could sync the engines easily, however since some of my twins use the servo driver (similar to the Clancy Arnold unit) i do the following to sync my engines:

1) Run each engine and set the high speed needle, get an a reliable idle, do separately for each engine
2) Run both engines and throttle back until both engines quit, notice which engine quits first
3) lengthen the pushrod by turning the clevis on the engine that quit first, start with 4 turns
4) restart the engines and repeat step 2 and 3 until both engines quit at the same time, DO NOT ADJUST THE HIGH SPEED NEEDLE SETTING TO SYNC THE ENGINES, changing the length of the pushrod either shorter or longer will speed up or slow down the engine so that they both shut down at the same time. I don't worry about the high end RPM being off by several hundred at full power

If I had to purchase an electronic control system today I would either buy the Clancy Arnold system, Bill Young handle or the JR DSC radio. I did not like the size of the ScaleMaster handle, in fact I prefer to have the servo driver or transmitter on my belt and use a normal stunt handle.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:20 PM
victorss

Fred,

I am wondering what happened to Bill Young. I have tried to contact him at his shop and for weeks all I would get was his recorder. I left a message but there was no reply. Now the number is disconnected.

How's things in Wichita? Doing any flying? I stopped at the NATS this year and C/L Scale had five electric planes, all by the Bauer Clan. Electric is the way to go.

Vic Gearhart
Old 11-13-2007, 06:09 PM
wyrflyr

Update...

Purchased the Clancy Arnold encoder/decoder. Put it in a Radio-Shack box with three variable pots and
a torpedo drop switch. Attached it to a Brodak standard handle with 1 ½†space between the box
and handle. Tested the unit on the bench and it works!
Will get the lines connected and ends wrapped next then start working on the airplane.

Jerry
Old 11-13-2007, 06:42 PM
smcouch77

Here are a couple of shots of the handle I made to house Clancy's encoder. The top slide is for throttle, and the center round knob is a 5 position switch for the cooper bomb rack.
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18451.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	248.9 KB
ID:	803372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk29616.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	205.7 KB
ID:	803373  
Old 11-14-2007, 11:19 AM
wyrflyr

Steve,

Yours looks similar to mine, just prettier. Just looking for insulators to replace the
normal line handle wire with fixed connectors. Will try to post a picture when it is finished.

Jerry
Old 12-06-2007, 08:20 PM
F4B_BCN

Hi all,

I am new in forums but I am in C/L for a long time. I am not a high level pilot. I begun in scale and later I jumped to aerobatics. Later I knew about carrier deck. Searching handles in Internet some time ago I kept a favourite link that helped me to found the link you asked at the begining of this thread.
I foud it at:

http://scalemaster.netfirms.com/

but I did not buy it.

Did anyone buy it recently? There is an Online Shop (try the links at the bottom of the web-page)

Regards,
Old 10-20-2008, 07:10 PM
Matagordababy

ORIGINAL: clscale-RCU

There are other handles you should consider instead of the Scalemaster handle:

1) Bill Young out of Flagstaff Arizona has sold handles are smaller and lighter than the Scalemaster

2) Also consider using the JR radio setup with the DSC chord. The transmitter hangs on your belt and you use a normal stunt handle. I like this method better. It's not as hard as you would think.

3) I also use a single channel setup that is basically a 555 Timer circuit and hangs off my belt for my scale and carrier models.

Good luck
Gents,

I've been wanting to do this for quite some time, but today is the first time I found ANYBODY who has walked this path. As I am not electonics savvy, would you be kind enough to post a couple of photos of your U/C/R/C Handles and transmitter set ups? The receiver and servo end I can handle, and once I see what you have done, likely can put together the transmitter / UC Handle / controller. All I'm looking for is throttle control - nitro engines.

I am recently and enthusiastically playing with RC planes, but have been building and flying UC since 1962. I really like the new generation of ARF's for the RC stuff, but by far prefer kit or scratch built UC's. The RC's feel more like cool toys to me, and I prefer the flying to the building, whereas the built-up UC's are hand crafted, and there is as much pride in the workmanship as in the flying skills from inside the flying circle...

By the way, the Scale Master folks currently say on their website that the Scale Master handles are no longer in production and are seeking a buyer for their parts inventory / product name / website.

Any info you can provide on how you are handling single channel RC to a UC will be greatly appreciated!

Matagordababy (Steve) / [email protected] / 1-979-335-4552
Old 10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
R8893
My Feedback: (20)

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Steve,
What brand of R/C equipment do you have? If it has direct servo control you already have everything you need. As I mentioned above I just use my JR transmitter on a neck strap. My left hand does what it does to fly R/C.
Chuck
Old 10-20-2008, 07:56 PM
Matagordababy

Chuck,

Absolutely true, of course, and I've several Transmitters to choose from if I go this route. I was hoping for a more elegant solution, something self contained within the UC Handle, or at worst remoting a Slide Switch or Throttle Trigger to the UC Handle with a simple Transmitter at my belt, with true "wireless" transmission to the onboard receiver / servo set up. Running sparks down the UC wires doesn't excite me at all.

I think my first attempt will be to butcher a two channel "Car" transmitter to see if I can install the important bits into one of my J.Roberts Handles. I don't like the 3-line set up overly much (which is what got me to thinking about an RC Throttle control), but the Handle itself has a bit of room and perhaps I can imbed the electronics into the handle, and at worst remote the transmitter batteries.

I've got the "Car" Transmitter and J.Roberts handle pinned to my work bench, sedated, awaiting the knife...

Steve
Old 10-21-2008, 11:19 AM
wyrflyr

Steve,

Clancy C. Arnold [[email protected]] sells a one channel unit and multi channel unit. He will email you
his info and sells them for a resonable price. They work with insulated lines you can get from Brodak.

Jerry
Old 11-22-2008, 03:49 PM
timfarrar

Guy's, I am interested in that Bill Young handle that "clscale" mentions in post #4....

Do any of you know where you can get one and what they cost ?

Thanks, Tim

PS
Hi, Steve !!...lol lol lol...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36920.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	5.7 KB
ID:	1076976  
Old 12-14-2008, 03:41 AM
Ram Jet

Contact Bill at:

[email protected]

He has the straight scoop on electric control line stuff.

Bill
Old 12-14-2008, 04:22 PM
timfarrar

ORIGINAL: Ram Jet

Contact Bill at:

[email protected]

He has the straight scoop on electric control line stuff.

Bill
Thanks very much Bill !!

You dont happen to be Bill Young are you ...lol lol lol...

Just kidding, I'll email him and see if he has a handle left because I came accross a guy that knows him and he said that Bill Young is pretty much retireing...
The guy that told me this didnt give me a contact for him though so I dont know that for sure and even if he is retireing he might have one handle left !!!!

Thanks again
Seeya, Tim
Old 04-14-2011, 01:01 PM
Showpilot54961

Hello Fellow Pilots.

I just found this thread and I'd like to add my 2 cents a clear up some miss information. First..ScaleMaster will be making a come back very soon. I am in the process of a small re-design that moves the trhottle from a stick to trigger and am going to use another kind of line connector.
2nd..I never was in any market for anyone to buy any kind of inventory. The only inventory I have or had at any time..were the mini-meters that I had in the top of the handle. Each handle was poured and
assembled to order. Lastly. The long delay in getting this handle to market was because, my partner, Chip Robinson died of a brain tumor and funding for components was hard to get. Also, I relocated to Wisconsin from California and shortly after moving here...a company destroyed my original portotype while making the tooling for molds. I have been fighting that company in court for over 3 years. As a result I have had to rebuild a new prototype and start all over again.

As to Fred's comment about my handle being heavy...it is not...considering everything it had and will have in it. My handle is the only one with a back up battery supply in the handle that has a metering system. Mine also has servo reversing and end point adjustment, etc. It also has a contoured hand grip. It is in addition to that a full 7 channels. 1 throttle and 6 options. Since my handle is fully enclosed it does not get grimy from field dirt and fuel as other handles will get.

I know Bill Young and he is a fine builder and has an excellent handle and most likely is less expensive.

I have been at odds with Fred for many years..and was there when he flew his planes with the radio hanging from his belt. The only problem I have with that..is a safety issue. If you have a large scale model..it is wiser to fly with both hands on the handle...having said that...converting an old radio may also be a cheaper way to go.

If any of you are interested in the ScaleMaster I would be happy to hear from you. I am also looking for a few pilots to compete with the new handle for promotional reasons. There may be a free handle in it for the right pilots.

Depending on response I may be accepting advance orders for the new units. Officially the handle will be known as the ScaleMaster Medalist. and a new webiste will be launched when the prototype is completed.

Thanks for reading.
Best Regards
JD Hennings
ScaleMaster

Old 04-14-2011, 01:14 PM
Showpilot54961

I checked the links above and it would seem that the old webiste has been hacked...I did not put the sale of inventory at the top of the page and the home page is gone.  I will see what I can do about updating.  Also the email link is incorrect.  the correct email is [email protected] 
the rest of the site (from the links) looks the same except for the misinformation on that one page.
Thanks again
JD
Old 04-14-2011, 02:36 PM
Showpilot54961

site has been updated....now back to work on the modifications on the new prototype....happy landings
Old 04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
clscale-RCU

Just so everyone knows that there is a rule proposal with the AMA that will allow 2.4Ghz radios, that will eliminate the need for the insulated lines and sending the signal downs the lines. If that happens for CL scale watch for a shift in technology that makes all of the stuff I have flown with wth obsolete.

As with all of these methods there are differences in opinions, either way they all work, I prefer some more than others. Flying the large models with the transmitter on the belt has never been a problem even flying a 1/4 scale bravo (17 lbs).

Land softly.
Fred Cronenwett
Old 04-14-2011, 06:48 PM
Showpilot54961

of course....however...the need for lines to control elevator will still be needed...hence the term control line...without them it is indeed radio control.
Also, what is considered safe for some..may not be so safe for others. After all these years the debate still remains. At lease we can agree to disagree. At any rate..my handle will be less expensive than a 2.4 gig radio....lol...the important thing is to promote the hobby, have fun at it..be a good sport and give the best and most informed information you can. Everyone can draw their own conclusions.

and Fred...as I recall...I never saw you fly a warbird fully loaded..the camera pane you flew and a few others were kewl to say the least..but they were different...flight charateristics of planes vary..and what may be very safe for one plane might be quite unsafe for another...its all in the wrist, arm, your body weight and how fast the plane is going and what the weight of the craft is...I hope you have expanded into scale FAI warbirds it is a real challenge. Best of luck to you...perhaps we will compete against one another at some point in the future.

Happy Landings

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.