Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

SpiderWire

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 11:31 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default SpiderWire

I want to try SpiderWire on a Profile PT-19 that is powered by a Sure Start. The model weighs 8oz all tanked up. I have found 8# and 20# test at the fishing store. What test should I get. Will the 8# be too small? Pity it comes in such large "Life Time" spools.
Old 12-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Phlip

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SpiderWire

I've got a roll of 28# that I've used for Norvel .061 powered planes as well as Cox .049's. I guess I wanted to err on the side of too heavy. But it's good stuff, I have no regrets for getting the heavy stuff.

Phil
Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 PM
Andrew

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve --

I've got a spool of 10# (4# test diameter) that works great. This is the Spiderwire FUSION -- sort of a microbraid. The 8# would probably work fine. It's slippery and does not work well with all knots. The [link=http://www.netknots.com/html/palomar.html]Palomar knot[/link] is recommended for terminations, ie. steel rings or quick release line connectors (and fish hooks of course)

andrew
Old 01-01-2008, 08:23 AM
Wayne C

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I really like the braided versions of Spiderwire better. Knots are important but the plane you mentioned isn't going to put a lot of stress on the knots. The palomore may be best but several good fishing knots will work with a light 1/2a. Be sure it is a good knot though. Carelessness at this point could wreck a plane and a bystanders day. I use 20lb test/8lb diameter, but smaller line would be ok. I wanted line strong enough to hold a heavier plane with a more powerful 1/2a engine. At any rate, I think spiderwire and similar products are far superior to the old stretchy dacron lines that came with many 1/2a planes. In fact, I like the spiderwire so well that I may even try it for fishing.