Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Please Help... Jr Ring Master Plans

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Please Help... Jr Ring Master Plans

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 05:45 AM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please Help... Jr Ring Master Plans

I just recieved an old Jr. Ringmaster. No Plans! It's a profile build, and th LE is notched so I could probably make do as long as I keep it square. But I don't want to rush and ruina kit that is older than I am! So I want to do this right.
Does anyone have a copy laying around somewhere.
Would be nice to start an archives of all the old models. At least plans and dates.

DM

Old 05-16-2009, 09:28 AM
scott17

Default RE: Please Help... Jr Ring Master Plans

I have a set.
Old 05-17-2009, 08:21 AM
Dan Vincent

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a lot of flights on a Ringmaster Jr. back in the mid-fifties with a McCoy .09 diesel.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Aurora_60
My Feedback: (1)

Wow!!
Thanks for the help Scott!!!
I just got the plans today, very nice.
I just cleared off my bench, now I'll get this going this weekend.
THANKSAGAIN!!

DM
ORIGINAL: scott17

I have a set.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:21 PM
scott17

Very welcome!
Old 05-29-2009, 11:58 PM
icerinkdad

Trace all the parts! These are increasingly hard to find and full size part tracings are just dang hard to come by.
Bob Furr
Old 05-30-2009, 02:21 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Which Ringmaster Junior are you building? The original back in the fifties looked like a reduced S1 Ringmaster. The last Ringmaster Junior kit I built had the wings revamped with sheeted leading edges and the plans updated to suggest anything up to a Fox schnuerle .25...WAAAY too much engine for that plane (mine has an Enya .09).

George

Well, I coulda stuck a picture in here...sorry.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh15511.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	1208952  
Old 01-01-2012, 09:23 AM
itsarvninea

Hey folks I'm new to this forum, I recently acquired an old Ringmaster Junior that was about to be tossed out by an elderly woman who's husband had long since passed. The plane has an old McCoy .35 frozen solid and the wings appear to have been covered in silk span which is mostly gone. I must admit it's been over 40 years since I have done any building or flying control line. We used to call it u control and we covered our planes with silk or nylon. there used to be a dope made by a company called Pactra, we'd use clear dope to adhere the fabric, apply sanding sealer to the wood surfaces and spray paint using a gun taping off the desired designs. I still have a Johnny Walker U reeley if anyone is familar with it and I have a box full of old Fox and Mc Coy motors. I still have stored in an attic some of the planes I built when I was a teenager. These planes are to old to fly and most are in rough shape they include a super clown, sterling profile mustang, a flying wing, a built up Veco Thunderbird and a scratch built 48" me109 built up stunter, anyone remember any of these?  I'm considering getting back into model flying, there's a group of radio fying people not to far away who have nothing to do with control line flying. I live in central new york is there anyone in this area that still does fly control line planes? I have a lot of questions regarding the current materials and methods used to build these planes. As for the Ringmaster Junior I suspect the fox .35 is a bit overkill I have an old .15 that hasn't run in over 40 years I'd like to find gaskets and parts or I may have to just break down and get a new motor from Fox. Anybody been where I am? I have built a full size airplane and fly often but there has always been a place in my heart for those fun old days flying control line.

Steve
Old 01-01-2012, 06:24 PM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well Steve,

You will get some help here I would guess but you might also want to register on [link]http://www.stunthanger.com[/link] and for that Ringmaster you should register on [link=http://www.brotherhoodofthering.info]Brotherhood of the Ring[/link] and post your questions there too.

Lots of folks on the Brotherhood of the Ring who would be happy to try to help and there may be some in your "neck of the woods in NY".
Old 01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
cutaway

DM, cut new plywood pieces for your RM'Jr kit. Even when fresh, the plywood Sterling used was pretty bad. Now, delaminates if you look at it sideways. The balsa and maple should be fine.

Steve, the old planes you mention aren't too hard to rebuild and get back in shape. Some acetone and a single edge razor blade will scrape the old dope finishes and rotten cloth hinges off. A bit of center section surgery will get the control systems updated.

I still fly an old Midwest Magician I built in high school back in the mid 1970's. Its been recovered 3 times and had the control system and hinges rebuilt once.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As far as the seized motors go, just soak them for a bit in fuel or methanol and there is a pretty good chance they will be ok unless they are rusty.  The oil hardens up.  Give the planes a twist on the wing and tail to make sure they are still glued well.  I have lots of 30 year old planes and motors that still go good.