Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Kookaburra Plans , Spitfire VIII

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Kookaburra Plans , Spitfire VIII

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 04:35 AM
matt13

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kookaburra Plans , Spitfire VIII

Hello,
I'm trying to chase down an Australianplan from Kookaburra Plans Service. Itis of a 54" semi scale stunt model of a Spitfire VIIIfor .29's& .35's.
The histroy behind the model and why I'm looking for the plan is this was my first exposer to model flying, my father bought one made by a local modeller
and it was fitted with an Enya .29. Later in life, another C/L mate found a set of plans for it and built one himself, flying it with an OS 35. It still exists, but was converted to RC.
I do have his set of plans, but they were covered with contact, and it has wrinkled, I could build from it, but would like a better copy if one could be found. Has anyone heard of it? Matt.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:57 AM
vauxhall

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Kookaburra Plans , Spitfire VIII

You mean this one?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98652.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1222465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79102.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	1222466  
Old 06-22-2009, 07:55 AM
matt13

WOW, yes, thanks Vauxhall!
The plans that I have are different, but it is definatly the same model! Mine look like they were hand drawn, and all the writting is hand done( even the "Kookaburra Plans Service" name is hand written). There is more detail, and I have never seen an article. But it is the same. Can these still be bought commercially? or if not, do you have it in Adobe format so I could take it to the printers? Thanks again Vauxhall. Matt
Old 06-22-2009, 08:38 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: matt13

WOW, yes, thanks Vauxhall!
The plans that I have are different, but it is definatly the same model! Mine look like they were hand drawn, and all the writting is hand done( even the "Kookaburra Plans Service" name is hand written). There is more detail, and I have never seen an article. But it is the same. Can these still be bought commercially? or if not, do you have it in Adobe format so I could take it to the printers? Thanks again Vauxhall. Matt
What format do you need for the printer?

Old 06-22-2009, 08:58 AM
matt13

Adobe was good for the printers that I use last time, they could also scale the plan size if needed.
Old 06-22-2009, 09:12 AM
da Rock

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Idon't know what file type would be "Adobe" if it wasn't something like Photoshop's pdf. I just SaveAs'd the large version of the plan attachment. Opened it with Photoshop anddid a SaveAs of it at a .pdf. Then zippedit. But..............

OH Nuts.......... only .tif and .jpg attachmentsare supported. I wonder if a pm will take a zip................ nope, pm's only take tif/txt/jpg as well.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:58 PM
vauxhall

The plan was published in Aeromodeller magazine, so it may be available through X-List.
http://www.xlistplans.demon.co.uk/
Also try asking on the Barton C/L Forum, many Aussies post on there, should be copy of the plan somewhere, it was a popular model.
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/index.php
I even had the plan in the mid 1960's. Alas long gone...........John
Old 06-22-2009, 07:03 PM
vauxhall

Matt, just found Tom Dixon lists that plan on his U.S.A. site for $15.00. Half way down the page on the RHS. http://tomdixon.tripod.com/plans2.htm
Also on this U.K. site.
http://www.model-plans.co.uk/index.html
The designer was Australian Geoff Pentland, had other C/L plans and many books published. Sadly passed away recently.........John
Old 06-23-2009, 04:33 AM
matt13

Thanks again for the insight on the model, I will try to order a set online and let you know how I go.
What started me thinking about this model is I never got a chance to fly it myself, and I found an article on e-C/L.
This had me pulling out the plan and started me into thinking,"how cool would it be to build one for e-power!"
Old 06-24-2009, 08:43 PM
matt13

Have just posted the order form for the plans to Tom Dixon for the plan, so I need to go to the balsa box and start weighing wood
Thanks again for the info Vauxhall.
Old 06-25-2009, 04:55 AM
vauxhall

Glad to be of service Matt, have fun with the model and how about doing a build thread on here when you get started.....John
Old 06-26-2009, 07:45 AM
matt13

Ok, your on, one build thread on the way. Might give me the motovation.
Old 07-14-2009, 04:23 AM
matt13

Just to update, I am currently looking at the plans which turned up in the mail today from Tom Dixon, he included a nice note about another CL spitfire as well.
The plans are more detailed than the original one I have with the "Grey Nurse" scheme drawn on(there is a full size MKVIII flying in Aus with this scheme), I was thinking of trying it as an electric conversion, but dug up my Fox 35 and a tank which was last in a Nobler which I crashed a few years back, so I might stick with what I know works.
Thanks again Vauxhall for pointing me in the right direction to find the plan. Matt
Old 07-14-2009, 04:33 AM
davred

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And dont forget the build thread. It looks more interesting than my Phantom from scratch thread.
Old 07-14-2009, 07:35 AM
vauxhall

Two of my favourite models and I've built a couple of both Spits and Phantoms.
Matt, I reckon the Fox.35 is the way to go.........John
Old 12-26-2012, 05:21 AM
matt13

Three years have past since I was able to get a new copy of these plans, and I have done nothing further about building it!

My interest in CL again has been sparked, so now the dust comes off the plans, and I will start cutting wood, my "New Years" will be this model flying in 2013. I'm visiting my folks for Christmas which is close to where the Australian CL Nats are being run, so I plan to watch the stunt, and combat events for some additional motivation.

Hopefully I will have some build pics in the near future.

Matt.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:11 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Three years have past since I was able to get a new copy of these plans, and I have done nothing further about building it!

My interest in CL again has been sparked, so now the dust comes off the plans, and I will start cutting wood, my ''New Years'' will be this model flying in 2013. I'm visiting my folks for Christmas which is close to where the Australian CL Nats are being run, so I plan to watch the stunt, and combat events for some additional motivation.

Hopefully I will have some build pics in the near future.

Matt.

Matt,

all the Pentland Kookaburra plans (and the Aeroflyte ones as well) are now available in pdf format for free download on the Hippocket Builders Forun at:

http://www.hippocketaeronautics.com/....php?cat_id=92

Click on the plan image to download.

Ray
Old 12-29-2012, 04:52 AM
matt13

Posted twice by mistake.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 AM
matt13

Thanks Ray, have jut been looking through the site, there is some "memory lane" Aeroflyte stuff there.
I had the Couger, the small Hurricane x2, one of the Kittyhawks, and we made several of the Hum Bugs, which were so easy to fly, that even my sister had one!

The largest we had was the Valient which was the best stunter we kids got to fly before RC got in the way and we stopped CL.

Matt.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:35 PM
matt13

This will most probaily be the slowest build ever witnessed on RCU, but as today started off with rain and the promise of only being 22degrees C (we have seen upto 46degrees c in the last week or so), I found myself in the shed cutting wood.
I have been told before that you should aim to try to do at least one thing a day on a build, even if it is to cut out just one rib, or glue in one gusset, because in reality it will often be much more than that, the hard bit is getting up and away from the TV.
Well I ended up with a start on the wing ribs, very old school building, glueing on a photo copy of the rib with a glue stick, and a new blade in the knife.

Matt.

Name:	Nl28573.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	235.0 KB
ID:	1839754  
Old 01-13-2013, 01:53 AM
qazimoto
My Feedback: (1)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

This will most probaily be the slowest build ever witnessed on RCU, but as today started off with rain and the promise of only being 22degrees C (we have seen upto 46degrees c in the last week or so), I found myself in the shed cutting wood.
I have been told before that you should aim to try to do at least one thing a day on a build, even if it is to cut out just one rib, or glue in one gusset, because in reality it will often be much more than that, the hard bit is getting up and away from the TV.
Well I ended up with a start on the wing ribs, very old school building, glueing on a photo copy of the rib with a glue stick, and a new blade in the knife.

Matt.
Sitting in my local town square here on the mid east coast of Oz while the Mrs shops, I often observe older people who are taking on the shape of their lounge chairs.

This is something to be avoided however it's becoming easier because the programs on TV are getting steadily worse.

I always enjoy starting a new model. As Chairman Mao famously said "a journey of 10000 miles begins with the first step".

Yes, at least one thing on a build a day is the secret, trouble is I usually have few dozen underway at any given time!

Ray
Old 01-20-2013, 12:25 AM
matt13

All wing ribs cut out with final sanding next, and the spar slots still to be added.
But next to start the 2x laminet spars, yes it is slow progress, but there is progress.

Matt

Name:	Ki20723.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	270.2 KB
ID:	1842421  
Old 03-08-2014, 12:46 PM
Kozmo77

Okay Matt, was digging back through the threads and followed the quest for plans and such. You got some ribs cut over a year ago. It's time to show some progress. I realize many things could have happened. Hope nothing bad has delayed your work. I knew you were serious,but time just slips away. Am interested in your progress. I have so much pleasure in following these builds and efforts. Thanks
Old 03-27-2014, 04:37 PM
matt13

Thanks for the interest Kozmo, yes it has been a while, and........ Not much has changed since my last post :-(
Travel for work and a busy life has found me in front of the TV when I find my way back home and motivation slows.
but your timing is good, I needed the reminder to get back into it, so tonight and tomorrow I will work on it again, and post some results.

regards Matt
Old 03-29-2014, 10:21 AM
Kozmo77

Matt, did not mean to jump your case. If you are a young man with career, family, and other responsibilities, I know how time slips away. I'm 71& and can tell you it is dreadfully relentless.I could read the keen interest in finding something from the past and a desire to reexperience times gone by. Been away from the craft for 47 yrs and got back in 2 yrs ago. Try to do at least one thing each day if possible and you'll have something to fly. Good fortune young man.