Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Need help from some Motor experts

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Need help from some Motor experts

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 12:58 PM
scottman20006

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help from some Motor experts

Hey Guys
I need some help,There is a company and they are having some cox style engines made in china.
and they seem to have problems with the motors.they are telling the company the problems and then they say they have them fixed and they still are not running well.I told him i would come on here and get your guys suggestions and opinions of what might be wrong,these engines will be made for a car( i know this is control line planes ,but you guys know your stuff)
ok, its a .049 size motor,they are using 2 D batteries for the glow head,and are using a 20% blend.
supposely the engines have been started at the factory. and they are using as a starting point of about 2 1/2 turns out from closed ,and the guys are telling me it takes them for every to get one to start,and that they can spin the back wheel by hand to start them,they have to setup something using a drill to spin it fast enough to start and even then it takes a long while,they have check the glow heads and they glow bright Orange.
So 2 of the motors took for ever to start and get them running,and 2 wouldnt stay running hardly at all.
Any help Guys would be greatful
Old 10-30-2009, 03:07 PM
vertical grimmace
My Feedback: (1)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Need help from some Motor experts

Sounds like low compression or poor fuel feed. Really not enough accurate info to venture a guess though.
Old 10-30-2009, 04:00 PM
proptop
My Feedback: (8)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You talking about the Auto World repro Vega Funny Car?

Why don't ya ask in the 1/2A forum?

(your question/description is rather cryptic )

Try here
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/forumid_70/tt.htm

There could be a number of reasons why they are having trouble...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:25 PM
Doc.316

1. Fuel: 1/2A's love high nitro (25%nitro/20-25%castor)
2. Drill Motor?...may not spin them fast enough (unless geared).
3. If they are reed valve engines you should be able to hear the reed working when turned over by hand (at least a cox ya can).
4. Air Leak. (around the needle).
5. If it is a cox the ball joint on the piston can get (or comes from the factory) loose. Get a ball and socket reset tool.
6. Fuel flow restriction.

Are they standard cox's?

As a kid I had the red cox spider and I had no problem spinning the rear wheel to start.
Old 10-30-2009, 08:41 PM
scottman20006

No they are a cox style made engine over in china,A company called autoworld is doing the Vega Funny Car,and they seem been having problems with the Engine and they have sent them back a couple times,and again they still are having problems,so i was wanting to get info on why they are having a hard time getting them started
Old 10-30-2009, 08:50 PM
dennis
My Feedback: (90)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It could be the CS 049 Cox look alike. From what I read it was plagued with quality problems like a lot of CS products. The engine didn't get imported to the states, thankfully.
Dennis
Old 10-30-2009, 08:52 PM
scottman20006

from what i have heard this ws tooled from the ground up,with his own company that making the vega
Old 10-31-2009, 09:09 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

First let me preface this by saying I'm not into cars so this is purely speculation...

From running an old Wen Mac boat long ago I found that there is a considerable difference between the needle setting under load and free running. If you set the needle to run free, it will immediately be too rich under load. If you adjust the needle for running under load, it immediately goes lean and dies with no load.

My solution was to place the boat's stern in the water once it fired and adjust the needle so it would peak while unloading in the water.

Bringing this situation to a car, you will probably need to adjust it to a much richer needle setting to keep it running under a no-load situation for break-in. Once break-in is complete, you may need to lean it a lot to get it to keep running under load. You will probably need several runs to find the peak setting. I'm sure the 2 1/2 turns may not apply until running under load.

I know this may or may not help your situation, but perhaps is worth a try.

George