Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Control Line Crash......................

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Control Line Crash......................

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Jonriley56

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Control Line Crash......................

Hi,

I put together a Hangar 9 PT 19 Control Line Plane and it crashed on my maiden flight............... I made sure I put the appropriate weight in the off side wing and I also made sure the CG was right before flying.

The motor was running fine, I set up the way I used to when I flew control planes as a kid with my helper pointing the plane "outwards" and releasing on my signal. (we checked to make sure the controls were throwing the right way first.)

As the plane became airborne it rolled inward instead of trying to fly "away from the control lines.

The only issue I saw in looking at it before flying was that the horizontal stabilizer was not exactly parallel to the wings.

I also took off into the wind which may have contributed to it rolling towards me.

When I was looking at the plane after it crashed it struck me that the rudder is not deflected away from the control lines to any real degree at all. I looked back through the assembly instructions and did not see that I had missed anything.

If I cant figure out what happend I may just modify it to be RC to go with my other planes.

jon
Old 11-30-2009, 12:32 AM
cutaway

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Control Line Crash......................

ORIGINAL: Jonriley56
I also took off into the wind which may have contributed to it rolling towards me.
Almost certainty its what caused it....unless the wing was badly warped. The stab tilt you describe isn't good, but its effects aren't going to be dramatic enough to roll the plane as you describe either.

If it was jerked off ground before it had enough speed to really fly it would stall and snaproll. I see inexperienced R/C flyers do this all the time and crash.
Old 11-30-2009, 12:42 AM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wind should be from behind or quartering from behind the plane on release to allow it to be on the downwind side when it lifts off. Taking a step or two back to maintain line tension is useful too. Example... the wind is at 6 o'clock you should release it at 4 or 3 o'clock. Liftoff will likely be at 12 o'clock. That rudder offset would surely have helped!
Old 11-30-2009, 01:05 AM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Take a step back as the model accelerates initially as well as all of the other good ideas here and you'll get it flying.
Chris...