Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Line Tension

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:32 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Line Tension

If I want to increase line tension, should I increase engine out ward thrust, Slide the lead out lines further back or put more offset in the rudder? Is it a combination of these? Which would you try first?
Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Line Tension

All of those things can add to line tension by making the model yaw outwards but that adds drag too which slows the model down. Generally, if the inside wheel can be seen to be slightly ahead of the outer wheel then it's yawing enough. If the model only has one wheel then it's a bit harder to judge . Most line tension comes from centrifugal force, usually around 2-3 G, so it's a combination of line length and ground speed (not airspeed). Centrifugal force is what keeps the model tight on the lines in a wingover, particularly when overhead, so try shorter lines and/or increase the revs for more speed.
Old 12-21-2009, 08:12 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Also make sure you are using the correct diameter lines for your setup. I once used .015x52' lines with a baffle .15 which handled totally different than on .012x52' lines.

George
Old 12-21-2009, 10:18 AM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Contrary to what you would expect, moving the leadouts forward is the thing to do if you are not getting enough line tension above 45 degrees. Don't move them more than 1/8 in at a time.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:48 AM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes i'm losing line tension above the 45 degree, is moving the leadouts forward what i should try first?