Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

.15ci / 2.5cc size C/L Questions

Old 02-27-2010, 12:14 PM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default .15ci / 2.5cc size C/L Questions

Curious what set ups all are using for .15 size C/L. Not got dizzy for a while but still into the genre.

Engine / Prop.

Line Flavor / size / length.

Tank size / shape

Wing area / weight.

Flaps / no flaps.

Old 02-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: .15ci / 2.5cc size C/L Questions

Super Tigre G-20 diesel, APC 8 x 4, 012 lines 55 ft. 2 oz tank. Demeco Sportwing, # 4 Easy, Trixter A-B profile. Also Jr. Flitestreak and Shark 15, but with TD 09 which is comparable to older 15's in power. If you want a trainer, the Brodak Lightening Streak Trainer is fine for a 15.
Old 02-27-2010, 01:30 PM
build light

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

No flaps.
The Jr. Flite Streak, Ringmaster Jr.and Flying Clown would work but I always recommend the Sig Akromaster mostly because it is a very good flyer and the price just can't be beat. Less that 25 dollars from Sig!
http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar...L20.html?E+Sig

Robert
Old 02-27-2010, 07:09 PM
vauxhall

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Engine / Prop....................OS.15, all versions, spares are easy to find. MA 8x5 seems good.

Line Flavor / size / length....52', .012" SIG or Brodak stainless.

Tank size / shape ..............Uniflow wedge, enough fuel for around 5 mins.

Wing area / weight.............Around 250 sq. inches, as light as possible.

Flaps / no flaps..................Both, but they fly well without 'em.

I sometimes buy my kits from here, good prices and great email order service ( even across the Pacific ).

http://selecthobbies.com/
Old 02-28-2010, 01:02 AM
steve111

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you're talking about sport/stunt models, then quite a lot depends on what sort of .15 you intend using. Popular 230-250 sq.in designs like the Jr Flitestreak and Akromaster work best with a light, unmuffled engine such as a Fox .15 or OS Max .15 (or a good 09, as Jim alludes to). Throw on a heavier motor and/or a stock muffler and they won't fly nearly as well - you need tail weight to get them to balance properly, and then the wing loading starts to become excessive. You'd still have something that's easy and fun to fly, but not as good as it could be. As an example, the current Enya SS15S or 15-V are very nice engines - but with stock muffler, weigh a touch over 200g, which is getting on for double the weight of the aforementioned Fox or OS without muffler. I can't get away without using a muffler, and prefer the way my Jr Flitestreak flies with a good 09 to how it is with the much more powerful SS15. I ended up designing a flapped 340 sq.in., 26 oz model for the SS15. No tailweight required and it flies great, even though it's a bit bigger than a traditional .15-size model.

Cheers
Steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca82504.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1388315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26081.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	1388316  
Old 02-28-2010, 05:21 AM
greggles47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Latest model numbers

OS 15 Mk3 / 8X4 APC prop.

.012 stranded lines / 52'3" centre to centre.

Tank size - whatever fits in the fuse / usually rectangular - Uniflow.

320 sq" / 16 oz

no flaps.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:43 AM
skaliwag
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Uniflow tank. Your design or bought? If your design do you have a drawing? How about "Chicken Hopper" style?
Old 02-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Jim Thomerson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I modify commercial metal tanks. I have put the uniflow opening in the tanks anywhere along the outside wedge, from against the front wall to back 3/8 in front of the fuel pickup, and all seem to work fine. If I am not running pressure, I use one of my well guarded stash of KK one way valves on the uniflow. (I think Jett Engineering has a similar one way valve.) The engine thinks it is sucking fuel from the end of the uniflow, so one can move the uniflow up or down in the tank if the tank is fixed in location. Always good to be able to adjust the tank height, but not always possible.
Old 02-28-2010, 08:12 PM
colingw

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

JR Flite Streak, which has variously had an OS MAX 15, OS MAX-III 15, OS 10 FSR-S, and currently an Enya 15-II. I may have tried an Enya 09 in there somewhere as well, but can't remember.

The main tank I run it with is a Brodak 2oz conventionally vented wedge. Have also run a clunk tank rubberbanded on the inboard side, which nicely overcame marginal fuel draw with the OS 15 but has proven unnecessary with the Enya.

Props - have variously run Taipan 8x4, old MA "paint stirrer" 8x4, APC 8x4, MA scimitar 8x4, MA GF3 8x5 and MA GF3 8x4. The Taipan, and the GF3 8x4 work the best.

Lines - have flown it on 50 foot "laystrate", 50 foot x .012", and 60 foot x .012". The 50 foot x .012" are the best all round, but with the OS 15 really on song the 60 footers were rather good as well.

I also have a JR Flite Streak derived model called a "Lite Streak" which Steve (steve111) designed. So far I've flown it with Enya 09-IV (fuel draw problems for some reason), Enya 09-III (fantastic, particularly if you feed it a bit of nitro), and Fuji 099 S-II (less powerful but adequate and gives wonderfully long runs). That has an Aussie built 1.25oz uniflow tank that Steve gave me. MA GF3 7x4 prop.

cheers,
Colin
Old 03-01-2010, 06:39 AM
greggles47

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My latest uniflow is a modified commercial tank. Only because I couldn't be bothered making a tank.

The uniflow mod is simple. The filler tube is replaced with one that starts about 1/4 inch from the fuel pickup point and exits the tank in the usual position and faces into the prop stream.
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
om33132.bmp (1.46 MB, 28 views)