Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

? on typical flap elevator setup

Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

? on typical flap elevator setup

Old 03-04-2010, 04:49 PM
jayseas

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ? on typical flap elevator setup

Could someone post some pictures of a typical flap elevator setup on a profile plane.I'm building my first flap c/l plane.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:24 PM
pmw
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: ? on typical flap elevator setup

I don't have any pictures, but I'm just completing a Profile Oriental. Basic rule of thumb is flap and elevator both set to zero, but some put about one degree of down elevator to zero flaps. Helps the plane track better in level flight. I use R/C pushrod and clevis hardware to allow me to set flaps and elevator by very small increments. Many flyers are now using ball links to allow a totally slop free system.

Paul
Old 03-04-2010, 08:31 PM
DaveSR71

Jay
Some (most) plans show running a puhrod from outer hole in bell crank to the second hole in on the flap horn. Then another rod from the flap horn outer hole to the elevator horn.

On Most of mine I run a rod from inner bell crank hole to the flap horn and another push rod from bell crank outer hole to elevator horn.

For test flights I like to have minimum flap movement setting and about 35-40deg up/down elevator
( thats a total of 60-8deg movement.)

Small control handle.

Balance 20% MAC of forward of that.

Like PMW say's, threaded clevis or ball end adjustable make life better!

What Cha buildn?

David
Old 03-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't progressed too far along, I suggest running the pushrods and horns on the inside side of the fuselage on a profile. That gets them out of all the exhaust mess.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:38 PM
downunder

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is the profile flat winged stunt trainer I built for my son showing the general layout of the controls from the bellcrank to the flap horn then back to the elevator. I tend to over-engineer a bit but it gives the general idea. I've used a balljoint at the bellcrank because that allows the rear end of the bellcrank to go underneath the flap pushrod without any interference. The little bumps on the fuselage side (thin plywood) are to limit bellcrank movement so any violent (panic ) control input doesn't overload the control horns. The balljoint runs in a slot to increase/decrease sensitivity but that's just an added bonus and isn't really necessary, I did it because I could . Another photo shows the connections at the flap horn using large clevises with the safety lock that stop them springing open and a similar clevis/horn is used at the elevator. If you use a wire elevator pushrod then you'll need a guide halfway along to stop it from flexing under compression (push) loads but CF rods are rigid enough not to need this.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78205.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	1391250   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wr56246.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	1391251   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ek14966.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	42.9 KB