Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Veco Tom-Tom

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2010, 06:18 PM
rw Guinn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Veco Tom-Tom

i did a "save image as", then opened them in paint.
As-printed, they'd make a nice 1/2A airplane.
Old 06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
DaveSR71

RW
Paint will mess up the sizing.
Runs me nuts to use it for anything as even changing all drawings to same size or % and every one will be different size!

If you can open and print from windows picture and fax viewer it should come out correct.

Please try this and let me know!

David
Old 07-08-2010, 10:04 AM
Blue Baron 29

Hi, Has anyone made good buildable plans from the Tom Tom tracings? Looking forward to hearing. Thanks, Mike
Old 07-08-2010, 02:29 PM
Kiwi

Each time I had tried to view whatever was next in this thread (it was Blue Baron's query about enlarging the small three-view), I was getting a very, VERY slow response, and when it stopped, all I had was an unusable page with some assorted HTML on the lower portion. The same thing just happened when I tried to use the other method of adding a comment, besides the Fast Reply. This was a test to see whether this Fast Reply method will do anything different in the long run.

(It worked fine, and I got to view Blue Baron's question, but it is now late evening before I can Edit this to reflect that it had done what I wanted it to do.)

Kiwi

Old 07-08-2010, 02:34 PM
Kiwi

Hmmm? I can't recall, isn't the "Subject" here changeable on individual responses? Anyway, the Fast Reply seemed to work, but the "Edit" option ended up in limbo. It never finished loading itself!

Kiwi

Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 AM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Guys,

The title of this thread says Veco Tom Tom, but the Dumas plans that David so generously provided don't look anything like I remember from building the Veco kit in 1956.

Either my memory is failing me (like about everything else), or the Dumas version was a radical redesign of the Veco version. I have the CLC kit, but now I'm not sure which version that might be.

Does anyone know how they compared, or do I have to climb up to the loft, and dig out my kit to have a look at the plans?

Climbing ladders is definitely a hazardous undertaking at my age.

Bill

Old 07-10-2010, 06:48 AM
Kiwi

The original Tomahawk and Tom Tom were better looking, IMO, and had more wing area, although weaker in structural aspects. The empennage on it was very P51-styled. Some time in the early 1960s, Veco themselves redesigned both of the planes to look more like a Flite Streak without the fixed flaps, with the swept back tail fin, particularly, and a forward-positioned canopy compared to the original pair.

Old 07-10-2010, 12:00 PM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Bill Adair
Hi Guys,
The title of this thread says Veco Tom Tom, but the Dumas plans that David so generously provided don't look anything like I remember from building the Veco kit in 1956...

Bill
Bill, here is the one I remember. It is the VECO version:

George
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78520.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1465803  
Old 07-10-2010, 12:58 PM
Mooney_driver

What size are the plan sheets they are printed on? What size was the original plan sheets (assuming the parts were full size)?

Thank you.

ORIGINAL: supertiga

Iso-
The 2 inner W-1 ribs should not be glued to spar,L.E. and T.E. until after main fuselage is installed on to wing.
The length of spars L.E. and T.E. is 36 inches.
The rib spacing BETWEEN ribs is 2 and 1/2 inches.( not for center ribs)
Old 07-10-2010, 06:03 PM
Bill Adair
My Feedback: (1)

George,

Thanks for posting the Veco Tom Tom picture.

I seem to recall that mine flew very nicely, but it must have suffered from my nearly total lack of stunt experience.

I'd love to build another Veco version, and have considered ordering the Brodak Tomahawk kit, to use some of those parts as templates.

Kiwi,

Thanks for the info. Hope someone has the later Veco plans showing those design changes.

Bill

Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Kiwi

Brodak has produced both versions of Tomahawks, and has always included fullsize plans ot the kits they recreate, so whichever one they are selling now, they will have the plans for it (interestingly, their new-style kit featured box art from the old style design, and their catalogs also had those older photos, despite the kit contents, which was very confusing).

I don't think that everyone at Brodak ever got the story straight on the two Tomahawks, but with luck, both sets of plans may still be available there.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:43 AM
minhduybk09
Banned

Gracias, senor!
gonna get started, soon! Lol

Old 09-03-2010, 09:02 AM
mred33

Hi Guys,

The title of this thread says Veco Tom Tom, but the Dumas plans that David so generously provided don't look anything like I remember from building the Veco kit in 1956.

Either my memory is failing me (like about everything else), or the Dumas version was a radical redesign of the Veco version. I have the CLC kit, but now I'm not sure which version that might be.

Does anyone know how they compared, or do I have to climb up to the loft, and dig out my kit to have a look at the plans?

Climbing ladders is definitely a hazardous undertaking at my age.

Bill
http://tomdixon.tripod.com/plans2.htm

Here you go. This is the old TomTom and the plans, while simple, can be built from. This is one great flying plane and if built right will hold up fine for the type of flying this plane is cappable of. Since we are not stuck with just using Ambriod glue anymore, it will build up nice and strong. I loved this plane and will be building another soon. While not a flapped plane like the nobler, it is still a great flying plane and Ilove the looks of the old one. The new one is no where near as good looking IMHO. After they changed the design and I couldn't get one anymore, I was without plans, since Ididn't bother to draw the parts shapes when Ihad the chance. Just figured it would always be around Iguess. Took to much for granteed, because Inever saw this ARFcraze taking off the way it has. Guess I just never thought about it before. Itook a break from the hobby for a few years and when Icame back, nothing was the same and all the great kits were almost all gone. Ihave this set of plans and while crude, they are good enough to build from IFyou can build from just plans. There are no directions with these plans, but it's a simple plane to build. Good luck.

Ed

Old 09-03-2010, 09:30 AM
gcb

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

[quote]ORIGINAL: mred33

...Since we are not stuck with just using Ambriod glue anymore, it will build up nice and strong...
Ambroid builds up nice and strong...if you double cement like the instructions say to do.

It took me awhile (and a few planes) to figure that one out. [&o]

George
Old 09-03-2010, 11:21 AM
mred33

[quote]ORIGINAL: gcb

ORIGINAL: mred33

...Since we are not stuck with just using Ambriod glue anymore, it will build up nice and strong...
Ambroid builds up nice and strong...if you double cement like the instructions say to do.

It took me awhile (and a few planes) to figure that one out. [&o]

George
I agree and if you thin that first coat it is even better. The problem comes in when you have to do some lineing up and the assy. takes a litte longer to get together right, the glue starts to dry out and you get a bad glue joint. Ihave seen this happen so many times it isn't even funny. The reason Isay the new glues are better is because with the new epoxy glues with a long cure time, you have the time needed to get everything lined up and clamped together so you get a good glue joint. I know you can get a good joint with Ambriod if you know how to use it right and are fast in getting everything together, but it is also very easy to get a bad joint and have a wing break in half while flying. Ihave seen this happen on more then one occasion and it comes down to the glue drying to fast for the joint your putting together. Iknow it can be done, Igrew up on that stuff and it's all we had for awhile. it's just that the new glues are so much better.

Ed

Old 09-05-2010, 12:36 AM
DaveSR71

Anyone ever get the tracing and plans to print out correct size?

David
Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 AM
Kiwi

ORIGINAL: dennis

Larry Richards kitted that version and it was an excellent kit. Sadly he's retired from the kit business.
Dennis
I was just wondering about that. A new arrival / retread has an incomplete Warrior he's building, and I asked (started a new thread on another site) for contact information.

Old 12-20-2012, 01:28 PM
ama353
My Feedback: (6)

Does anyone have a set of plans for the earlier version (photo here) they're willing to copy, loan or sell?

Thanks!

Dennis

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Cz79849.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	1832324  
Old 12-20-2012, 06:44 PM
mred33

If you look up at post 37 you will see the link for the plans. They are on the left side close to the top. This is the OLD TomTom from the 50's, not that redesigned job that looks nothing like the old one. Ithink this one looks much better and Iwas never interested in building one. Ilove the way it flies and while it is not a Nobler, it does fly good. An old Fox 35 works fantastic and will pull it great. Some people liked the old McCoy red head 35, but Inever did care much for that engine. Fox is much better.

Now these plans are not the greatest in the world, but they are plenty good enough to build from and all parts are given. Ichanged the doubler to a 1/16 plywood one and it makes it really strong in the front. Good luck with your build.

Ed
Old 12-21-2012, 05:27 AM
GallopingGhostler

Received 79 Likes on 62 Posts

Actually, I'm grateful for the posting of the later Tom-Tom. Reason is that I built the 1/2-A one in high school back in the early 1970's. Didn't find it until now. I guess it just depends on one's reference frame.

P.S. I copied the various graphic images of the photos and plans to the Dumas Tom-Tom II, thanks. From these, I should be able to come up with a reasonable facsimile of the 1/2-A Tom-Tom, which was similar to its larger scale cousin. I never built the original Tom-Tom, so the later version is or greater importance to me as it is the one that I am most familiar with. Thanks, all and Merry Christmas.
Old 04-04-2024, 07:36 AM
AJ Sun

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Old posting about the original Veco Tom Tom, seen one in the hobby shop and went home thought about it. Went back and it was gone. Never did see another kit offered. Reminded me of the Veco Brave that had no flaps. Buying the Brave or Warrior at the top of the instruction sheet was the Tom Tom, and a few other suggested designs you could use from the Brave. The Warrior and Brave was the same with the exception of the Flaps. When Dumas bought out Veco Dumas redesigned the Tom Tom. Then Aero bought out only the Veco line. But I never seen the Tom Tom in ithor version from Aero, only the plan on the Warrior build sheet.AJ
Old 04-06-2024, 06:08 AM
AJ Sun

I was able to get the original Veco square tail Tom Tom partial kit. It just might be my next build. I was planning on the Flying Fool also. That's a hard plane to build, but I sure like the design, the Original Veco Tom Tom cockpit reminds me of the Suoer Ringmaster.AJ
Old 04-08-2024, 01:20 PM
AJ Sun

Been trying to find the parts I need to start that Veco Tom Tom Original Veco some say 1953 it was offered as a kit. Hoping Balsa USA and a few other suppliers can supply me with the addition parts mostly spruce but bass wood would also work. AJ
Old 04-11-2024, 12:25 PM
AJ Sun

Well still ordering parts for my original Veco Tom Tom. Between Balsa USA, Brodak, and AAmod. I am getting what I need. Beats burning $4.25 gal fuel. And driving around DFW. No wonder hobby shops are a thing of the past, but finding what you need to complete a build. Takes hours of research I got plans and parts needed list but it's lacking a few Items, and after reading and reading you realize things re missing. Brodak has a great parts department, but lack a few other items you need. So the other companies even Sig I forgot to mention they have Silk now. In two yard pieces. But the expensive part it's $48.00 + shipping. Hard to be leave Veco Tom Tom was $8.00 at a hobby shop in Fort Worth in 1985. AJ
Old 04-13-2024, 11:10 AM
AJ Sun

I was re reading my last post and I had a type O that kit Original Veco Tom Tom was $28.00 not $8.00. I just paid $90.00 for the partial. I may get it built for around $300.00. Still waiting for the orders to come in. And total up the shipping. It sure mounts up.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.