Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Tell me something about this engine

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Tell me something about this engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 02:21 PM
iflyg450

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tell me something about this engine

All I know its a McCOY 19, It has a front ball bearing. It was given to me by neighbor. It does run very well. It didn't have a needle valve so I am using a Super Tigre Needle vale. I just ran it on 29% all castor 5% nitro it started right up. I don't think its a stunt motor it screams SPEED. So how old is it, what props, and what was it intended for?? It had a prop on a old Top Flite 8x6 but I dare not use it very rough looking
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	eb86867.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	1469146   Click image for larger version

Name:	om32055.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	2.18 MB
ID:	1469147  
Old 07-17-2010, 03:17 PM
Jim Thomerson

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Tell me something about this engine

Yes, that was a speed engine, early 1950's. They have been flown in stunt airplanes, and your ST NVA may choke it down enough to suck fuel. They were ordinarily flown on pen bladder tanks. I suspect the original NVA was in two parts which screwed in on either side of the venturi and did not have a spraybar, only the needle going across. It should be a ringed engine. I had one many years ago but never flew it. It was superseded as a speed engine by the Torp 19 which came out in 1952.
Old 07-17-2010, 04:40 PM
iflyg450

Yes sir its a ringed motor it really does turn up the ST NVA seems to work well. Could you recomend an airframe a real fast one I was thinking this
http://sshobbies.com/peforpora.html or I might go with a very small RC delta. Do you know of a site I can check out
Old 07-18-2010, 07:24 AM
Kiwi

If George ever expanded on his story, I missed the connection regarding which specific McCoy 19 it was that he and Bob Palmer used in some very lightweight versions of Chiefs. I always meant to ask, and then didn't interrupt the story after all, but I suspect it was the one in the photo here. I've never owned any pre-Testors McCoys personally, although I helped some people run the "Super Stunt" McCoys that came out as the last Duromatic engines before the Red Head Stunts (and wasn't well impressed with the power available).

By comparison, the Testors McCoy engines had plenty of potential back in the late 1950s, when you got one with good fits, and took care of it properly.

I did have a couple of the GH Torp 19s in the late 1950s, early 1960s (which, as pointed out, were faster than the older Series 20 BB-19), and have another Torp 19 once again, but it's the earliest "pre-Green" 19 this time. I'm going to try it in a Super Clown that currently has a Torp 23 in it that seems rather anemic. I seem to recall that the 19 and the 201 may have been more powerful than the 23 was . .
Old 07-19-2010, 02:06 PM
Angel_W

My son started with the stunt fly and used to performed  have a FAI pattern with a McCoy .19, prop: 8/4 (home made out from light wood), and a proportional model to the  Genesis of Bob Hunt. It used to work very well with 80 methanol / 25 castor oil and a hot plug.