Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'd like to compete, what class should I start?

Let me say I freaking love flying U/C. There is an event near by, however not sure were to start. I have for planes a Nobler powered by an OS 46LA-S and a PDQ Yak-9 powered by an OS 25LA-S. So I was thinking of trying OTS profile with the Yak. Would this set up be competitive? Also what class would the Nobler fall into. The event is in Saint Augustine, FL in January

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: I'd like to compete, what class should I start?

The Yak is Old Time legal I think and the Nobler is Classic legal. You can fly the Nobler in PAMPA Skill Class events also. If you can do the whole Pattern you could just start in Advanced. You will be put to the test all at once, but driven to improve rapidly too.
    Good luck and have fun.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: iflyg450

Let me say I freaking love flying U/C. There is an event near by, however not sure were to start. I have for planes a Nobler powered by an OS 46LA-S and a PDQ Yak-9 powered by an OS 25LA-S. So I was thinking of trying OTS profile with the Yak. Would this set up be competitive? Also what class would the Nobler fall into. The event is in Saint Augustine, FL in January
    I assume you are talking about the King Orange contest?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, not sure what class to start with. I know my PDQ Yak fits into OTS profile and the nobler goes OTS classic I think. I have been thinking of building something to compete in CLPS Beginner just note sure what plane would be best

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

If I were going to start flying PAMPA beginner today, I think I would build a Sig Twister. Probably the Brodak Oriental is as good and simple a full fuselage airplane as you can find. I flew a Sterling Yak 9 with a McCoy 35 in OTS for a while. It would be fine for Beginner. I built mine without working flaps.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

iflyg450
    Twister would be good start. Wish that Sig still made the Banshee.

I think Brodak makes the old Midwest Magician now and their P-40 could be the old Midwest P-40 Magician based profile.Not sure.
    They have some other profile stunters and numerous other.

The Nobler can still be competitive in modern stunt.

If you already fly well then something with flaps so you can learn trimming as for me this is harder than learning to fly the patterns.
    Some where floating around the net is a Stunt Plane trim chart that is helpful.

I do not remember the Sterling Yak or F-51 having flaps. Will try to look at a kit tonight.
    Adding narrow flaps would possibly make good flier.

What ever you use here is link to the beginner pattern.
    http://www.brodak.com/stunting.php?id=3
    After making judged take off and 2 lap judged level flight make sure you make 2 more laps before wing over!!!! (2 laps between each maneuver.)

Here is Old Time pattern
    http://www.brodak.com/stunting.php?id=4

And then:
    http://www.brodak.com/stunting.php?id=5

When you find that your good flying airplane drops the ball when put to the pattern its time to learn trimming.
    DON'T GIVE UP TRIM IT!

This is where I am in the obsurd task of combining my C/L combat/racing skills with R/C scale skills while avoiding mayhem and disaster.

The Midwest P-40 took months to trim and years of major mods to get to fly decent at all but that's another tale. I is a Pattern PIG and difficult and has been a good teacher because of its problems.

The Chip was easier to get good flights and the big Yellow thing has flown absolutely mind boggling perfect every flight and is more airplane than I am pilot.

David
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx72014.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	80.6 KB 
ID:	1480822  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've been slowly learning the pattern with a "Gotchastreak" and can really recommend them. Sort of a big Flightstreak. (53") Simple build which can be built over a weekend if necessary, no flaps but turns on a dime and squares are no problem. Mine's Electric but anything from a .30-.46 wet motor would pull it around no problem. Spare wing cores etc are available in the event of smacking it with the planet. Mine is 44oz fully loaded with battery and gives 6 minutes flights.

For reference..
    Motor Scorpion 3014-16
    ESC Phoenix 45
    Timer Will Hubin FM9
    Battery 3s 4000mah ~2800 used per flight

TTFN
    John.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Ifly,

The Stunt classes are pretty well spelled out in the AMA Competition Regulations. I don't know if the KOI uses straight AMA Rules or has some special variants.

To start in competition, forget about it being competition. ...for a while anyway... See it as an opportunity to show off your skills at the same figures as others are flying. And, most important, as an opportunity to get together with a bunch of other ukies.

The AMA CLPA Beginner Pattern is drawn in the Rulebook. You don't even need to be an AMA Member to look into the rulebook online (at www.modelaircraft.org ) Beginner Pattern is simpler than the full pattern, so it is worth a lookover... You'll probably need to be an AMA member to enter; membership apps are available from the contest officials, if necessary...

Another experience of competition is being ready to go on the circle when called, or as posted on a scoreboard flight order, crank it up, get it up, and fly. It feels good to have that confidence.

You'll learn more than you think possible by mixing with the other fliers. CL people are almost always wide open friendly and helpful. Don't be afraid to ask for help, within reason, of course... If you see a guy really trying to get his "thing" keyed real fine, an interruption might not be welcomed. A few take it more seriously. That's what they enjoy about it.

Enjoy! that's what it is all about!

\\BEST\\LOU
    Lou Crane, Sierra Vista, AZ