Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Thread: Bummer!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Bummer!

Restored an old one from 1979.
    Built after Stopping competition flying and was sport/fun flying. Was a fun airplane that everyone enjoyed flying until the elevator started disintegrating, the G-21 was more than it needed!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zx71306.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	1477458   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa86989.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	85.0 KB 
ID:	1477459   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30764.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	109.1 KB 
ID:	1477460  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Bummer!

Came out nice and fits in good with the Shoestring.
    Hope to set both up for FoxBerg Racing and fun flying.

Name:	Om34600.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	144.5 KB 
ID:	1477473   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fa87170.jpg 
Size:	305.9 KB 
ID:	1477474   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Di11099.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	184.5 KB 
ID:	1477475  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well It WAS a good day of flying.

Youngest boy appeared out of the woods on the 4Wheeler so put him up a few times with the Shoestring and then he test flew the Buster.
    He said the Buster was light on the lines.

I flew the next flight of the Buster and as the results show it is to light on lines!!
    Engine quit at the top,as the results show.
    Have never seen parts scatter like this one, outboard wing bounced and then floated 1/2 the circle away from crash!
    Hit so hard the spinner disintegrated!
    3 big parts so it will fly again.

Bummer.

Name:	Us54065.jpg 
Size:	162.4 KB 
ID:	1477490   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Id95946.jpg 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	1477491   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jo30564.jpg 
Size:	107.5 KB 
ID:	1477492   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Un34400.jpg 
Size:	75.6 KB 
ID:	1477493   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Vg53520.jpg 
Size:	165.0 KB 
ID:	1477494  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a CG Shoestring I've been slowly doing a restore job on. Its about 35 years old.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I've got a Buster kit complete from about '74 that I'm gonna' dupe the parts and build for my NIB Enya .25. Ithink this is going to be one sweet combination! I'll keep you posted!
    Once more... with gusto!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A CG Buster was the first plane I destroyed an engine in planting it over pavement learning outside loops. Tore the mounting lugs right off a Series 21 McCoy .35

I'd like to build another someday. It seemed like a decent flying thing as I recall.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

My first big control line stunter was a Goldberg Shoestring....built it when I was 13 (1973 )
    I got a McCoy series 21 .29 for Christmas of '72...and it powered my Shoestring rather well I thought. (still have the engine...plane was given to my nephew )

Great memories...

Built the Goldberg Buster a couple years later...w/ a Fox .35
    Still have the .35 and just the fuselage of the Buster...

supertiga...yours sure do look a LOT nicer than mine ever did... although your Buster's wing looks kinda like mine...busted... (sorry to see that )
    < Wrongway Feldman's Kreider-Reisner KR-21...(on Gilligan's Island)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very good looking models, ST.
    Love the blended noses and big spinners.
    I rebuilt a Cosmic Wind once. I liked the sheet gear with profile wheel pants option on the plans. Cool looking series.
    Chris...

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yea Guys!
    These C.G. were very popular sport planes back then!
    If I wasn't building a combat or race plane then probably a Buster or Shoestring.

Brodak produces these kits now( not sure on the Cosmic Wind) with a different L.E. construction.

Some contest around the country hold an event called Foxberg racing. This is for Goldberg Buster, String or Cosmic airplanes with fox .35 stunt.

Was hoping to have 2 for trying to get some interest up in this area. The Buster is back in one piece awaiting bracing and covering.
    Try it again!

Chris
    Started doing the front of profiles in this manner on Slow Rats for the few 100rpm from the stiffer nose.
    The added weight usually makes for nose heavy so recently started removing the ply wood nose doubler below the hardwood bearers but leaving some in the landing gear area. Replaced ply wood with balsa sheet.
    On some I removed the 1/2in balsa fuselage in same area and replace with built up outline then sheeted with balsa.
    Did this later on P-40 and also shortened allowing removal of 3oz tail weight and lost 5+oz total on airplane. Helped a lot!

Also drill a vertical 1/4in hole in fuselage going through the wing L.E. and epoxy a 1/4in dowel in to.
    Usually but not always this will stop cracking in L.E. to Fuselage joint.

Heck! there is enough interest here to hold a racing contest!

Anyone interested in an online proxy race with the Foxberg rules?

Lap times for 7 laps or time for full length run with pit stops?

Other?

Just an idea

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I just finished a rebuild of a CG P-40. Is it legal for Foxberg racing? I have an old 40th anniversary 35 on her and hope to test fly it this weekend. Would an old Fox Rocket 35 be legal as I think I can get my hands on one of those too? I am in TX and if you have an event I will drag my 73 year old dad out and we will see if we can have some gettin dizzy fun!!
    power corrupts...
    absolute power corrupts absolutely

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey JXXX er, uh, 4u2nv, , This sounds like some fun. Does my Ringmaster count? I will soon be getting my ducks in a row with my CL - been saying that for a long time now - but I am working at getting organized [s]again.[/s]

We do need to get some CL events going again, and maybe not all by AMA rules but some local stuff like the Foxberg rules sound.
    I can mow a couple grass circles at Jetero. Shucks, Pat took 3 days for his Combat event and I never heard a complaint. In fact I think everyone that came out to watch was totally flabbergasted about this CL thingy that they had never heard about.
    Of course that was an FAI team trials so it was the creme of the crop. Way out of my league, even way back when I was a CL competitor.

Very Interesting!
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I hear tell of a Ringmaster get together In College Station Aug 28th. Hoss if you are interested I think my dad and I will be there. Dont have a Ringmaster yet but am going to see if they will let me fly that Flitestreak that I got from you now that dad has it ready to fly! They are a bit retentive about that darn RM. Should be fun either way even if it will be hot!!
    power corrupts...
    absolute power corrupts absolutely

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is a website with a lot of good information. http://www.dmaa-1902.org/ This is the Dallas Model Airplane Association website.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I will get back to you, 4u2, next week. I have to go north for 4 days this weekend. Can make a better commitment mid next-week.

Methinks it is because the guys pushing that have a side business making the kits.

Thanks much.
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Peace is the brief glorious moment in history when everyone stands around reloading.\" T. Jefferson

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

4u2nv
    I think if you wish that your Flight Streak was a Ringmaster that's good enough to get in the door. Not sure.

Bryan, Collage Station, Wish that I had known of a C/L club there.
    When racing at TWS would sometimes bring R/C and fly in the evenings but that can be done with the locals here and would have enjoyed C/L with others. Maybe next year.
    Where do they fly?

Thanks for the video Horace!
    Never fear, American taxpayers will save the U.S.
    I can see November from my porch!

{Methinks it is because the guys pushing that have a side business making the kits.}
    Them dang capitalist always trying to get paid for their efforts!
    Wonder if they know that they can sit on their butts and be paid for no effort?

But then there would be no Ringmasters.( edit-HUMOR HUMOR)

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No, it is a matter that the Ringmaster guys have a side business making kits because they are pushing Ringmasters. It is not the reverse. No one familiar with the situation would think otherwise.

Full disclosure statement. Back around 1960 I built and flew a Jr. Ringmaster with a Torp 15.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Cool
    Have an unfinished Ring master jr. from same time period was going to get an old Fox but now you have me thinking G.H.15. Have 2 G.H. that may make 1 good engine.

My best .35 Ring Master had a GMA G.21 and was a fantastic flying airplane until a friend mixed it with asphalt. Very ugly and noisy.

{{No, it is a matter that the Ringmaster guys have a side business making kits because they are pushing Ringmasters. It is not the reverse. No one familiar with the situation would think otherwise.}}

Yeah I guess it could be read that way. The humor must have had a case of electron transmission dysfunction.(smoke?)
    Will edit and see if it helps settle down the distortion. Might be easiest to respond 'well duh'

David
    on my 4th or 5th childhood

This is fun and it saves in my pictures. click to full size.
    Email it to friends and let them try to stop the install! Don't worry its fake.

Name:	Bz78715.gif 
Size:	22.4 KB 
ID:	1482738  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Jim Thomerson

No, it is a matter that the Ringmaster guys have a side business making kits because they are pushing Ringmasters. It is not the reverse. No one familiar with the situation would think otherwise.

//snip//
    Guess I am NOT familiar with the situation. [sm=confused.gif] I really have wanted to go to one of those events but have not yet made one.

Speaking of kits, several after-market "Ringmasters" including my A-M S-1 have some differences in various construction from the original. I think they are accepted. My original Sterling S-1A has one big difference. The wing is sheeted for the forward 3". That is NOT acceptable for the Ringmaster events that are here in the Houston Area.
    What the devil do I know? [sm=rolleyes.gif]
    Horrace Cain AMA L-93

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

With all known devils and BS to the side, And playing catch up on 1/4 century of C/L Houston seems to be the center of the Ringmaster cult, at least in the circle that's driving distance for contest for me.
    C/L seem to be doing well there and now that I think about it probably 1/2 my contest were in Houston(70s).
    Lot of good people.

Seriously Horace whats the scoop?

For example if I put a G.H. Torp .35 on the Jr it would recreate my Mom's Rat racer she flew in the 50s.
    Would this have a place?
    Also have Sterling P-51(F?) and wondering the same for it.

What events are held?

Two years ago had one flyable C/L and now that number is 15!
    The Bug that keeps on biting.

David

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi David and Capt. Hoss,
    I don't know about the scene in Houston but I'd contact the club or CD and see what's up. The local rules, etc are always available so go to the source. You guys seem to be on the edge of doing something!

Often our old models are orphans, David. The Ringmaster Jr and Torp 35 model sounds great. I love that old stuff.

I actually build old stuff for my Dad so he can hang them up in his library. I'm finishing a 24 inch Scientific Staggerwing with an old black case McCoy 36 RR Sportsman, but it's a non starter in C/L Scale because the rules are so technical now it would be illegal unless it would fly on at least 52 1/2 foot lines and have a throttle, no TO points!

Foxberg races have their own local rules. They might allow sq in wing rules rather than the specific kits themselves.

I wanted to start flying B Team Race but most of the early Scale Team Racers are made illegal by the current racing rules because they are now required to have an entirely enclosed cowling. My Berkeley designs won't make it and the current racing group only cares about racing, not nostalgia. I like nostalgia and nice paint jobs. So, I build them for myself and have never flown one yet!

So find out what's happening and see if what you have works for the latest group. I've heard that the new Ringmaster kits from certain cottage industry manufacturers are easy to build, straight and much nicer than any Sterling kit ever hoped to be! So if you must build a new one, it should be worth it, in any case.

Chris...

Name:	Tr51041.jpg 
Size:	139.7 KB 
ID:	1483327   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hc93862.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	54.8 KB 
ID:	1483328  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

i know this thread is old but im doing a "buster" restore , my brother in law passed away and it was one of his old model from the early to mid 70s i think ? what would be the correct prop and engine for that time period , i think he had a fox or maybe a McCoy on it .. any help ??

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I used to use either an 11x4 or 10x5 or 10x6 on my .35's
    < Wrongway Feldman's Kreider-Reisner KR-21...(on Gilligan's Island)

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Proptop gave you the correct advise. Good luck with the Buster.