Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Control Lines
Reload this Page >

Engines for Guillow's Stearman?

Community
Search
Notices
Control Lines For all you fly-by-wire fanatics!

Engines for Guillow's Stearman?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 PM
Aviator 25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engines for Guillow's Stearman?

I'm building a Guillow's Stearman PT-17 and I thought I would like to make it a control line. The plans seem to suggest a .09 or .10 engine for control line and .049 for free flight. I would like to go with a .09 or .10 CL engine. Could someone here suggest a CL engine brand that would work good for this plane? I've been looking on the web and have found it hard to find CL engines.
Old 08-24-2010, 08:02 PM
BtnFlyGuy

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Engines for Guillow's Stearman?

An Enya .10 would suit for the Stearman. Check Ebay.
Old 08-24-2010, 09:18 PM
jcralley

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A Brodak .061 would probably work fine. Modern engines are a lot more powerful than you might expect.

[link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=6283]Brodak[/link][link=http://www.brodak.com/shop_productdetail.php?ProductID=6283]
Old 08-24-2010, 09:38 PM
stuntflyr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought this engine for a smallish scale model. Mine has a three line bellcrank for throttle control and this is an R/C engine but it can be locked open for use without that system.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/index.php...ngine-r-c.html

I think a Brodak .061 for a 28 inch Scale biplane would not be near enough power.
Chris...
Old 08-25-2010, 07:11 AM
Aviator 25

What about engines like K&B, Fox, and Norvel? Do they make .09 or .10 engines? I can't even find the website for Norvel.
stuntflyr I find the AP hornet interesting. Is it a good reliable engine and does it have good output?
Old 08-25-2010, 08:27 AM
bobsrc

Check out Carlson Engine Imports on the web.
Old 08-25-2010, 10:38 AM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Aviator 25

What about engines like K&B, Fox, and Norvel? Do they make .09 or .10 engines? I can't even find the website for Norvel.
stuntflyr I find the AP hornet interesting. Is it a good reliable engine and does it have good output?
K&B's are now the product of Mecoa Engines (Google it) - they don't make anything smaller than an .18 (yes - .18). Can't comment on price or availability.

Fox still makes their .15 schneurle - available lots of places.

Norvel has gone out of business as "Norvel" but are supposed to be being reorganized as "NV" engines. The only known contact that I've seen is:

"Alex F" <[email protected]> "Anybody need new Norvel engines or parts? If so, request a price list "

Someone posted his price list somewhere, but I can't find it now. I don't know if he still lists the .074, but Norvel never had an .09/.10 size. Their next size up was .15.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:41 PM
coriolan

To fly a Control line plane that size take lot of pull. A good .15 diesel would do the trick, but fuel is always a problem in north America so something a bit bigger in glow might be Ok. The fuselage needs to be strong enough to handle the starting stress and vibrations and Guillow kits are a bit lacking in that department! I know it sound like heresy but it would make a nice electric conversion with the E-flite C/L timer or Z-tron since there is lot of choice in electrics motor to swing a big enough prop:
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFLA172
http://www.bsdmicrorc.com/index.php?productID=646
http://www.windyurtnowski.com/ztrontimer.pdf
Old 08-25-2010, 07:54 PM
gcb

Aviator 25,

I'm guessing that the engines available when the Guillow was designed were similar to the Cub .09 in power. With that in mind, I would suggest a modern .09 as the upper limit.

Since you are building it as CL, you may want to reinforce the engine area for more stress and vibration (doublers, gussets, etc.).

You do not need a CL engine, an RC engine with the throttle wired open works fine.

George
Old 08-25-2010, 11:08 PM
stuntflyr

I found it fit my Shoestring well, it's 34 inch. I recommended it to my buddy for his 33 inch Guillows Hellcat. He used a nylon R/C mount on a flat firewall.
My son used a 70's Fuji 09 in his Guillows 27 inch Focke Wulf for C/L Scale and it's a real good size engine for this size model. I would recommend sheeting the forward fuselage of the Stearman (it may be that way in the plans, I don't know) for a power ship. I never had that series of kit, but some Guillows designs are a bit weak in the landing gear, firewall, bellcrank and wing mounting design for power C/L type of operation.
Chris...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:55 PM
mikeainia
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: mikeainia

K&B's are now the product of Mecoa Engines (Google it) - they don't make anything smaller than an .18 (yes - .18). Can't comment on price or availability.

Fox still makes their .15 schneurle - available lots of places.

Norvel has gone out of business as ''Norvel'' but are supposed to be being reorganized as ''NV'' engines. The only known contact that I've seen is:

''Alex F'' <[email protected]> ''Anybody need new Norvel engines or parts? If so, request a price list ''

Someone posted his price list somewhere, but I can't find it now. I don't know if he still lists the .074, but Norvel never had an .09/.10 size. Their next size up was .15.

I don't know why it doesn't seem to be showing up but there is an email address in my post re: Norvel engines

"Alex F" ([email protected]) "Anybody need new Norvel engines or parts? If so, request a price list "

in case anyone is looking for BigMig or other Norvel parts.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:49 PM
Lou Crane

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The AP Wasp .061 is still available, I believe, and at a reasonable price.

It follows the NorVel design, but not the black ceramic-coated cylinder series. It has a simple, but effective carb, which can of course be wired full open. It is fitted a bit looser than the last actual NorVels, and is less bother to get going than they - reportedly - sometimes were.

Plenty of power! Also, much smoother running than any of the glow engines of the era when the kit was introduced. As with the other modern engines mentioned, the AP Wasp is capable of very high revs, on smaller props. That might be of interest if the Stearman has a radial cowl, or a dummy of the radial engine cylinders.

If you've heard of the 1/2AMEPS - ( 1/2A engines ...up to .061 since .049s are getting scarce; Multi-Engine Profile Scale ) CL thing we do in Tucson, usually in October, take note that most of the engines used lately are these AP Wasps... (.061 is the largest single engine size allowed, and more than one engine is required. How many permitted? As many as you can find a real plane flew with, and think you can start and keep running to make a qualifying flight... FUN!)

At last year's 1/2AMEPS, one model, a B-24 Liberator, just barely kept flying on just one of its 4 Wasps after the others ran dry. Span? Over 40"!
Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 AM
Aviator 25

It seems like eveytime I turn around an engine brand is going out of business or changing owners. A sign of the times I guess.
I may have an rc engine that might work, Its the Thunder Tiger GP .07. I originally got it for the RC Ace Corsair (this plane was made just for the GP .07). But I found it did not have enough power for this plane and put an OS .10 on instead. The GP .07 runs realy great and for such a small engine is very quiet. Its output is 0.19 bhp at 17000 rpm and weighs 3.33 oz. Would this engine work?
Old 08-28-2010, 12:59 PM
gcb

I was going to suggest that engine but when I did a search I couldn't find it. Perhaps it is no longer available, but since you already have it, it should be a perfect match. If I remember correctly, it can be either beam or radially mounted.

Good luck with it.

George
Old 08-28-2010, 01:15 PM
coriolan

Still availlable: http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=TTT07GP
Old 08-28-2010, 01:20 PM
stuntflyr

Great looking engine.
This one;
http://www.greathobbies.com/producti...rod_id=TTT10GP
Looks very nice for the larger models, the Guillows Stuka, Thunderbolt, Lightning, Hellcat, etc.
Chris...
Old 08-28-2010, 01:36 PM
stuntflyr

It seems like eveytime I turn around an engine brand is going out of business or changing owners. A sign of the times I guess.
I may have an rc engine that might work, Its the Thunder Tiger GP .07. I originally got it for the RC Ace Corsair (this plane was made just for the GP .07). But I found it did not have enough power for this plane and put an OS .10 on instead. The GP .07 runs realy great and for such a small engine is very quiet. Its output is 0.19 bhp at 17000 rpm and weighs 3.33 oz. Would this engine work?
Aviator 25,

Have you built the Stearman already? What does it weigh? If I recall correctly, the little Ace RC Corsair is light, small and very low drag in comparison to the Guillows Stearman. Especially if the Corsair is R/C and the Stearman is control line.

The lines have a lot of drag, essentially as much as the model itself. The Stearman is the same size as the Sterling Stearman CL series for C/L and I've seen them fly well with 35's. The difference is the construction of the Guillows design is much lighter, so the 09-10 size engines I recommended are the size that produces enough power over what you might need yet not so big as to make beefing up the structure too much of a redesign.
061's and 049's are not big enough, even the modern one's Lou wrote about. The drag level is too high with the bipe and lines.

The TT 07 might work, if you already have one, you might try it. The 09-10 size will work and well. I've actually flown them with this size engine and it works out well. My oldest son's FW-190 won the US Nats twice with his little Fuji 099 R/C engine and it was just right with about 40 foot lines.

Whatever you do, post pictures, we love to see guy's stuff.

Chris...