RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Much To Do About Nothing! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/10725135-much-do-about-nothing.html)

Avaiojet 09-19-2011 07:38 PM

Much To Do About Nothing!

I really don't have a great model to fly CL with. :(

So, I decided to build a nice CL model from "what I have on hand" in my hobby space, the garage.

Thought it would be interesting to try this.

By this I mean, use only what is on hand or already available, PURCHASE NOTHING!

Balsa, ply, silk, HDWE, wheels, gear, engine, etc. I think I even have wheel pants?

I'm sure I have everything I need to stay "honest" about this, to use only stuff I already have. I'll have to get CA, but that's about it.

Well, I take that back, everything expect finish and paint. I have none of that stuff.

I do have a Banshee wing kit or two, so I can start with this.

This isn't a build thread, so there won't be "day by day photos" of my progress. If it's like my other builds, I won't get it finished anyway.

HOWEVER!!

Anyone else want to do the same thing?

If so, there are "Four Rules."

Rule number one.

You have to be honest, in that you use only materials on hand. No buying anything except glue and paint products.

Rule number two.

You are "King of your domain," if you fail, that is, buy something or have something given to you, you must admit it.

Rule number three.

Absolutely, Post "no photos." Nada, nothing, not a one, until the model is "completely" finished. Totally finished.

Rule number four.

You cannot use an existing model, you must build this one from scratch.

Yes, those of you, who choose to take this on, can Post "written text only," this will be allowed. But, positively NO PHOTOS until the model is completed, totally!

This can be fun, but you must obey the rules.

Charles

Jim Oliver 09-20-2011 02:35 AM

RE: Much To Do About Nothing!

Charles,
Does my sport RC "Scrap Box Special" qualify? It's a few years old, and was built per your rules; well, maybe not! I designed and built the wing and tail for another model, then recycled the wing and horizontal stab after the first fuse became a victim of rec. crystal failure.

BTW, I have the Escape almost finished. Your markings make the wing look pretty good! I'll post finished pics in the Classic Pattern forum soon.

Regards,
Jim

Avaiojet 09-20-2011 07:53 AM

Jim,

Sorry, no it does not qualify.

Has to be CL! Besides, that was THEN this is NOW. You can understand this.

Look around for goodies, you may have enough stuff to do it again!! CL that is. Gotta be CL. :D

Hope you do.

As for my project, I dug out the Banshee wing kit from Sig. I didn't remember, but I also have a Twister wing kit from Sig AND parts left over from an Astro Hog.

I would have to cut ribs if I use the Astro Hog, cuz there's not much left. I hate cutting ribs. So, I guess I'll have to choose?

Twister or Banshee? Never built or flew either model.

Now I have to decide which wing to use?

Decisions!

Charles

Hossfly 09-20-2011 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Avaiojet

//snip//
So, I decided to build a nice CL model from ''what I have on hand'' in my hobby space, the garage.

//snip//
By this I mean, use only what is on hand or already available, PURCHASE NOTHING!

Balsa, ply, silk, HDWE, wheels, gear, engine, etc. I think I even have wheel pants?

I'm sure I have everything I need to stay ''honest'' about this, to use only stuff I already have. I'll have to get CA, but that's about it.

Well, I take that back, everything expect finish and paint. I have none of that stuff.

I do have a Banshee wing kit or two, so I can start with this.

This isn't a build thread, so there won't be ''day by day photos'' of my progress. If it's like my other builds, I won't get it finished anyway.

//snip//
Anyone else want to do the same thing?

If so, there are ''Four Rules.''

Rule number one.

You have to be honest, in that you use only materials on hand. No buying anything except glue and paint products.

Rule number two.

You are ''King of your domain,'' if you fail, that is, buy something or have something given to you, you must admit it.

Rule number three.

Absolutely, Post ''no photos.'' Nada, nothing, not a one, until the model is ''completely'' finished. Totally finished.

Rule number four.

You cannot use an existing model, you must build this one from scratch.

Yes, those of you, who choose to take this on, can Post ''written text only,'' this will be allowed. But, positively NO PHOTOS until the model is completed, totally!

This can be fun, but you must obey the rules.

Charles

OK that would be fun for the average kit builder type modeler. OTOH I have great supplies of Balsa, spruce, plywood and finishing materials of a number of different types. I can do this kind of airplane in about 4-5 hours just using my Scrap-BOXES of woods, etc. and/or make one from foam-board or cardboard all of which I have on hand. In addition I have a number of CL kits ready for the building table.

I have on hand 4 models, 3 are .049 which I use with kids in my backyard. One is a .19 powered profile, solid wing, with a Fox .19. It is over 25 years old but will fly when asked. :D As of a couple weeks ago I can fly 65' lines in my back yard so I can do what you asked in less than a day, from .049 to .60 or so.

Where woud I fit into your plan?

Now just because I said I CAN, does not mean that I will get off my lazy bottom and DO IT!!!!!! :D

Avaiojet 09-20-2011 12:36 PM

HC,

I believe I would table the .049 stuff because, as you said, this can be done in hours.

Maybe I should have had more rules?

Anyway, I was thinking along the lines of a CL model from 15-35 or a tad bigger.

A model that would require some building skill, AND fit into the category of what I described.

Sure. it would be easy to through something together, but it would take a bit of ability to create a great model from what's hanging around.

Fortunately, I have just about everything I need to build many models. But I expect to focus in on something really nice, well designed and thought out.

If there was a prize, I would expect to be the winner.

Be nice if everyone thought this way. It would increase the caliber of model.

You can do it!

and wind up with a nice model to boot!

Charles

Avaiojet 09-21-2011 03:36 PM

WOW!

The Thread is overwelmed!

I chose the Banshee wing to build instead of the Twister.

The reason is the Banshee cord is a bit longer.

Now I will assemble the wing.

Avaiojet 09-22-2011 05:19 PM

Well,

I have by Banshee wing framed and bellcrank in place. I might take a photo for after.

I changed the wing tips a bit and this model will have working flaps. Span is 56". Bigger than I wanted, but the wing tips added 6".

Sheeting and capsrtiping the wing remains. I'll do that later because that's not my favorite thing to do. In fact, I hate building wings. The sheeting will ad weight but it's necessary with this wing. I have decided on power. I have a NIB MVVS .49 CL engine, with their pipe. Rear exhast so this has to be factered into the fuselage design.

OK, on to the fuselage. Hummm, How will I approach this?

Glad to see there's a bunch of interest. :D

Charles

perttime 09-22-2011 11:44 PM

Sooo, do you have balsa for the fuselage, or do you need to go scrounging for packing foam, newspapers, scrap aluminum and bicycle spokes?

[8D]

Clancy Arnold 09-23-2011 08:39 AM

Charles

You are making it tooo easy! 
Look at any pictures of the entries in the Junk Yard Wars at the Brodak Fly-In. 
The JYW rules:
A Fox Stunt 35 or any 25 engine max.
Build a model from the material provided, (Vegetable crates)
Build time 30 minutes.  Points deducted after 30 minutes, 1 point per minute
All Models are impounded for Safety inspection.
Model must pass a 25 Lb pull test
Model must fly for any points to be scored.
Additional points given for any maneuvers performed.

Clancy

Avaiojet 09-23-2011 02:44 PM

I have enough balsa and ply to build a dog house.

I didn't know Brodak had that event?

I have absolutely no intrest in junk.

As I said, when the curtain is pulled back, I'll have a one of a kind model and it will be great!

I don't actually build well. but I can and have designed. My abilities are in finishing. I'm already considering this.

The "build" is under the finish. The finish makes the model. Well, the design also.

Everyone should want a special model that they designed and built.

OK and for those that have no stock. You can go buy stuff, but the design has to be yours.

OK, I just made it easier. :D

perttime 09-24-2011 01:21 AM

I totally like the idea of stealing enough of an existing design to ensure it flies, but making it different enough to look unique.

Avaiojet 09-24-2011 03:20 AM

You cannot cheat aerodynamics. The model HAS to fit certain peramiters.

I'm safe with my Banshee wing, although I wish it tapered towards the wingtips. I'm too lazy to make the change. But I have nice wingtips.

As for the fuselage, I will pay attention to proven moments but the fuse will be designed from scratch. In fact I now have the profile on paper.

It's great taking a design and reworking it so you can take credit for designing your own model. :D

gene6029 09-24-2011 09:45 AM

Does this count? My grandson raided my balsa box & "designed" his own plane. He used left over paint from another project i finished. He actually flew this model, with an .049 we rebuilt together from parts, at a reedie event here in NC! Heres a few pics of his finished & flown model. Just to get this thread going...Gene

Sorry pics wont post

gene6029 09-24-2011 09:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
try again

perttime 09-24-2011 09:59 AM

RCU seems to have some problems with the uploads. I ran into it in another thread a while ago.
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10731584/tm.htm

Avaiojet 09-24-2011 10:54 AM

Gene,

Thanks for the interest and the photos.

Nice working with kids, isn't it.

I see your grandson has a friend also interested in modeling. A good thing.

Be interesting to see the outcome, of the building of those kits. I'm guessing gifts?

Post whatever photos you have of those young model builders. Hey, Post your stuff also!

gene6029 09-24-2011 11:00 AM

Dont want to hijack your thread, but those two kids won those kits at their first event. Heres a pic of my grandsons Lil Tony...Gene

gene6029 09-24-2011 11:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
here ya go

Avaiojet 09-24-2011 01:22 PM

Gene,

Do a "kids" build Thread on those kits!

gene6029 09-25-2011 06:12 AM

I wouldnt mind, but for some reason it takes me longer to post pics on RCU than to build !![:o] I did a build thread in the scratchbuilding forum a few months ago, i'm still recovering from that....Gene;)

Avaiojet 09-25-2011 07:57 AM

Gene, Gene, the dancing machine!

What did you build? Link?

Charles

gene6029 09-25-2011 08:32 AM

I scratch built a Buzzard Bombshell for R/C assist, RET. It was fun, but downloading the pics was harder than building the plane!:D
It is in the scratchbuilding forum, i bumped it up if you want to check it out...Gene

cutaway 09-28-2011 04:11 PM

I'd go with a Chuck Felton'esque cardboard over a yardstick kinda wing slapped onto a 1xsomething firring strip fuselage with a coroplast stab sheetrock screwed to the fuse.

Avaiojet 09-29-2011 03:44 AM

I'd go with a Chuck Felton'esque cardboard over a yardstick kinda wing slapped onto a 1xsomething firring strip fuselage with a coroplast stab sheetrock screwed to the fuse.
That's likely to win an award.

Avaiojet 09-30-2011 05:06 PM

Interest or not, I'm still progressing.

I now have the fuselage designed and I found a couple of wheel pants that will fit nicely. Time to decide if the gear comes out of the fuse or the wings.

Tough decision.

Charles