RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Vintage Control Line Airplanes ID (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/10939329-vintage-control-line-airplanes-id.html)

garuzic 02-01-2012 06:07 PM

Vintage Control Line Airplanes ID

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 10pt">I bought these control line models years ago and they hung in my son’s bedroom. He is now a disabled veteran and has no interest in them. I would like to find out the age (I am guessing late 50’s – early 60’s), who supplied the kits and the rough value. The Corsair has a wingspan of about 36.5” with an overall length of about 28.5”. The Stearman wings are about 24” in length. Overall length is about 32”. The engine on the Corsair is a Saturno Super Tigre .35. It shows made in Italy by Micromechanic. The engine turns over and seems to have good compression. I would like these to go to an enthusiast.</div>

JohnBuckner 02-01-2012 07:05 PM

RE: Vintage Control Line Airplanes ID

Hi, The Stearman appears to be the Sterling Models PT-17 which was buildable for controlline or radio control I suspect it first hit the stores in the mid fifties.

The Corsair is far more difficult to pinpoint a kitmaker and I do not Know. It appears to be unfinished and has been covered with Silkspan which was a paper fiber product. Undoped it has a very distinctive appearance.

The Spun aluminium cowl was used in a lot of small controlline scale kits, including Sig.

John

Hossfly 02-01-2012 10:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: garuzic

<div style=''margin: 0in 0in 10pt''>I bought these control line models years ago and they hung in my son’s bedroom. He is now a disabled veteran and has no interest in them. I would like to find out the age (I am guessing late 50’s – early 60’s), who supplied the kits and the rough value. The Corsair has a wingspan of about 36.5” with an overall length of about 28.5”. The Stearman wings are about 24” in length. Overall length is about 32”. The engine on the Corsair is a Saturno Super Tigre .35. It shows made in Italy by Micromechanic. The engine turns over and seems to have good compression. I would like these to go to an enthusiast.</div>

The Corsair is also a Sterling kit, from late '40s until the mid-'70s/early '80s or longer. I had a real learning experience with a Corsair. I built it when in the USAF while deployed on Alert in Morroco. It came out very heavy. First Engine was a Madwell .49. Flew Fast and easy but was very poor in any maneuvers. Later changed to a Super Cyclone and it was really a pleasure to fly for sport. Only about estimated 80% of the Madewell in speed, but it was a very good scale acrobat. Couldn't believe it. With the Madewell, a wingover was scary and had to start pulling out way high. A loop was more scary and it had to be big and bigger. With the Super Cyclone it would almost do Stunter wingovers, loops were no problem with tops at around 45-50 degrees and lazy eights just like a a Ring-Master.
With all my aeronautical experience and book-LARNIN! i heve not really figured that one out.

Some CL enthusiast may like to have them both for the old time thing and for rebuilding. BTW I also flew a Sterling Stearman in CL Scale Competition back in the 1965-70 era.
This old picture here shows the Stearman just as I was preparing to go to my last USAF World Wide Contest in 1967 before I left the USAF in Feb. '68. !st in CL Stunt, and C Free Flight that year.

landeck 02-02-2012 06:20 AM

The Corsair is the Sterling Models control line kit as Hossfly said. I have one I built around 1970 with a McCoy .29 red head engine.

Bruce

stuntflyr 02-04-2012 11:51 PM

C/L Stunt, Scale, Carrier, B Proto, A Speed and in FF, towline, handlaunch, A, B and C, rubber Scale? Man, you were going for it! Love the pictures, and the Sterling corsair story, Cap!
Chris...

Hossfly 02-05-2012 09:22 AM

ORIGINAL: stuntflyr

C/L Stunt, Scale, Carrier, B Proto, A Speed and in FF, towline, handlaunch, A, B and C, rubber Scale? Man, you were going for it! Love the pictures, and the Sterling corsair story, Cap!
Chris...

Thanks much, stuntflyr. Yes those were happy days, doing all those events. I loved FF and I loved CL Stunt. I liked CL Scale as it was in those days, just building and flying, not weighted down with 'umteen rules from someone's imagination.
It took another 5 years before the RC bug bit, For a number of years I was entrenched in Sport and PYLON Racing. Pylon winnere were determined by being out front, not by someone's imagination such as Scale and Pattern.

Today, I have a strong remorse for the politics that have brought so much to those that are like Garuzic's son. I see that potential awaiting my grandchildren. OOPS, too far off topic.

I SALUTE you Mr. Garuzic and your Son.

garuzic 02-15-2012 09:14 AM

Thanks to all who replied. I greatly appreciate this information as well as the kind words. Fortunately I am able to help my son as I am a combat vet as well. Vietnam 68-69.