RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Ramrod revisited (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/11287150-ramrod-revisited.html)

greggles47 11-05-2012 01:28 AM

Ramrod revisited

1 Attachment(s)
The old Ramrod, is just about ready to go.

Needed to be recovered and refinished due to the first tissue job shredding after swallowing too much oil. It's taken forever to de-oil the balsa, strip the old tissue, that wasn't fuel soaked.

so now it just needs the paint to cure some, then canopy, and trim.

Can't wait now.

PWF63 11-05-2012 02:11 AM

RE: Ramrod revisited

Quote:

ORIGINAL: greggles47

The old Ramrod, is just about ready to go.

Needed to be recovered and refinished due to the first tissue job shredding after swallowing too much oil. It's taken forever to de-oil the balsa, strip the old tissue, that wasn't fuel soaked.

so now it just needs the paint to cure some, then canopy, and trim.

Can't wait now.
Looking good Greg. What engine?
<br type="_moz" />

greggles47 11-05-2012 02:47 AM

OS Max S 35.

Really nice motor.

G

PWF63 11-06-2012 02:16 AM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: greggles47

OS Max S 35.

Really nice motor.

G
Nice engine indeed Greg. Possibly the best stunt engine OS made before the LA series.
Yes I know,there have been a lot of different OS engines used in stunt models but the OS Max S 35 is right up there vwith the greatness of a good Fox 35 and the original Merco 35's.

Fredo
<br type="_moz" />

greggles47 11-08-2012 01:00 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just a matter of putting the OS into it & Flying.

greggles47 11-09-2012 07:43 PM

Flew the Ramrod today, but the windy weather stopped me from giving it a good workout.

It handled the windy conditions very well and probably could have done much more than I asked of it.

Still, I'm happy with the way it went, and can't wait for a calmer day.

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Greg

greggles47 11-17-2012 02:41 PM

Much better conditions yesterday and got some handle time with the Ramrod.

Some issues to be corrected.

Engine runs initially erratic. Half cowl too close fitting, and engine overheating. Performed well with cowl removed.
Solution - cut some ventilation for lower crank cooling.

Outside maneuvers almost unflyable. CG too forward, and later found cracked elevator half.
Solution strengthen elevator, and cut out that pesky CG and reglue it further back.

Hope it's right next time.

Greg

GallopingGhostler 01-01-2013 04:50 AM

Greg, that Ramrod sure is a sharp looking plane. Sounds like once all the adjustments are tweaked, ought to be a real sweet flyer. Like your color scheme, too. Just curious, what length lines are you flying on?

greggles47 01-01-2013 01:50 PM

Thanks for the compliments George.

It's getting to be a really nice flying model. The tail needed about 1 1/2 oz of lead to get the cg about tight, so now I can learn those complicated manuevers [>:]

I fly it on 60' of .015" lines.

Greg

GallopingGhostler 01-01-2013 03:07 PM

Good work, Greg. I'm looking at something for 60' lines along the same lines, will be a scratch build, may be this summer. Got a couple mid sized projects in the midst meanwhile.