RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Athearn Convair "POGO" VTOL (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/11441499-athearn-convair-%22pogo%22-vtol.html)

Steve Westphal 03-12-2013 03:38 PM

Athearn Convair "POGO" VTOL

In my late Father's collection I found a control line Athearn Convair "Pogo" C/L "VTOL model still in the box. One wheel is missing and the prop(integral with a ring)has one of the three blades broken off. The box is in less than fair condition. Does anyone know anything about this aircraft? It has been flown a time or two evidently. I may offer it for sale,BUT, I would really like to try and fly it. Has anyone ever flown one of these?

Steve

GallopingGhostler 03-15-2013 03:15 PM

RE: Athearn Convair

I think I recall seeing photos of it somewhere, might have been an old model plane book in the library. Being a rare item, its probably worth quite a bit on say, E-Bay. I don't know if I'd chance it if I owned it. Might be worthwhile to template it and build say, a profile copy of it from balsa or foam to try flying. Anyway, that's me.

You might want to join the 049Collector's Group in Yahoo and ask there. There are a lot of avid CL RTF model plane collectors there. I'm sure someone there would know.

gcb 03-16-2013 02:16 PM

I remember seeing one in a hobby shop when they were being produced. Never saw one fly. I think they were powered by a POGO .09 engine.

Chances are that the plastic has aged and become brittle. I also would suggest you build a balsa replica and save the original.

George

paw080 03-17-2013 09:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Steve Westphal

In my late Father's collection I found a control line Athearn Convair ''Pogo'' C/L ''VTOL model still in the box. One wheel is missing and the prop(integral with a ring)has one of the three blades broken off. The box is in less than fair condition. Does anyone know anything about this aircraft? It has been flown a time or two evidently. I may offer it for sale,BUT, I would really like to try and fly it. Has anyone ever flown one of these?

Steve

Steve, it is not a control line model, it is flown on a 5'-6' line attached to a 18"-24" dowel.

To protect the innocent parties, I cannot reveal names or locations of a certain Pogo VTOL

flying incident: The owner of a hobby shop arrived in the late afternoon(from his day job),

to discover that his wife bought the Pogo from a sales rep. Yes, he was disappointed

and a bit upset. To make the best of the situation, he connected the line and dowel and

decided to try the darned thing out on the sidewalk in front of the shop. He filled the tank,

attached the battery leads and the engine started right up! He tested the throttle and signaled

his wife to release the model. It climbed vertically and he pulled the Pogo into level flight with the

control rod. As what happens to very nose heavy C/L Speed ships; the model started to occilate

by climbing and diving. This soon developed into steeper climbs and steeper dives. The model finally

flew straight overhead and dove behind his back and then climbed up, smacking him in the butt. The engine

stopped, the only damage was a broken prop and bruised ego. I'm glad he always had a great sense

of humor, because he soon broke into laughter to match the small crowd that gathered to watch and

were laughing their own butts off.

Tony