RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   3 line (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/11658791-3-line.html)

RacerX9623 01-03-2019 08:46 PM

3 line

So after many years of surching I have a complete system. Handle, belcrank and spool with three lines. I am going to go to the annual swap meet and find something to put it on. Something scale RC that I can convert to u control. Does anyone have any experience with a three line control set up?

R8893 01-04-2019 06:09 AM

I have done several 3-line set-ups on both carrier and scale models. I do mine so that pulling on the elevation lines give full throttle. This actually lets you fly the model with only 2 lines and wide open throttle. I make up those two lines first. Then I make up the third line and set its length so that the throttle just barely starts to close with the trigger in the fast position. Fine tuning of line length can be done with different lengths of line connectors. I was never successful making up lines to the exact lengths shown in the handle instructions.

I have converted at least 4 R/C kits to C/L scale. No big deal, just add a good strong point for the bell crank. Top Flite P-40 gold edition with a Super Tigre 75 flew very well, but a Skyshark Val with ST .61 was even better. Those were on electronic controls. Also did a Typhoon with Fox .25 and three-line. Other three-line scale model was a scratch built F-5-F with a pair of .25's.

I have a handle and several bell cranks listed in the classifieds on stunthangerdotcom.

Where are you located?

Chuck

Tom Nied 01-04-2019 05:38 PM

I've got a handle, is it worth anything?

cyclops2 01-09-2019 07:23 PM

way back we were doing a servo for throttle. control. 2 channel radio on belt. Throttle was a none spring return channel. Plane had 3 cells of 1.5 vdc. A mini receiver and the servo.
Right hand was bell crank control. Left hand moved the transmitter speed stick. Was set up with the stick & trim BOTH to off . Stopped the motor.

mikeainia 01-13-2019 11:34 AM

The modern equivalent to the 3-line handle/bellcrank. Or just hold regular 2-line handle in normal flying hand and a car transmitter in off hand. Many Carrier and most Scale Flyers have converted to something like this. Car transmitter probably not enough channels for many Scale planes - they tend to hang a transmitter on their belt. For contest flying, 2.4 GHz transmitter is required.

https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.rcu...f836aefee8.jpg

clscale-Fred 01-15-2019 03:11 PM

I haven't built a 3-line model since 1991, I have been flying with the down the line electronic controls since then, down the line electronic controls from 1991-2013 and then converted to 2.4Ghz. 3-line works but the post above is correct getting the 3rd line just right can be tricky.

Fred

MattCurtis 06-24-2019 09:42 PM

Just do 2.4 ghz r/c for throttle. I have not done 3 line and will not. Nice to not have to do 3 line.

mikeainia 07-08-2019 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by RacerX9623 (Post 12490999)
So after many years of surching I have a complete system. Handle, belcrank and spool with three lines. I am going to go to the annual swap meet and find something to put it on. Something scale RC that I can convert to u control. Does anyone have any experience with a three line control set up?

Racer -
Where in Iowa are you located? We have a control line club in Des Moines area and a flying site in Big Creek state park.

MattCurtis 07-08-2019 05:29 PM

Mikeanina is there any c/l flying going on in Davenport Iowa? The flying site used to be at the Mount Joy airport and Floyd Layton was flying there? I flew one of my planes there maybe 10 years ago when I went to visit my dad who lives in Bettendorf. You could fly on the grass field. Just wondering in case I ever want to relocate back to the q/c area?

mikeainia 07-08-2019 07:36 PM

Not that I know of - I haven't seen Floyd in quite some time. I think that there is still some activity in the Peoria, Il area and I also seem to remember that Floyd was flying with them at one time. That is a little closer to the Quad Cities than Des Moines. Bob Nelson is in Montezuma, working for SIG, and a member of our club. He generally flies at our field.

Mike Anderson

MattCurtis 07-08-2019 08:49 PM

Thank you for the Iowa info. I am not planning on moving at this time. It is kind of sad to know that not much or anything at all is happening in the q/c for c/l? There was a combat contest there back in the 1970's which got the chicago club to attend which I went to to spectate. I was not flying combat but it waa fun to watch. It did not occur again as far asI know while I was still there. I was in high school at the time. Lots of matches being flown.

mikeainia 07-09-2019 07:36 AM

I flew Slow Combat at that contest - Dick Wray was the CD. For awhile, there was a group flying in Keokuk - Dave Morris, his dad and one or two others. They put on a combat contest for a couple of years also. Then Dave moved and that activity came to an end also. We are a declining group, sadly.

MattCurtis 07-09-2019 11:12 AM

I don't think you can fix the decline so just fly and have fun when you can?