RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   >049 control line planes? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/1959946-049-control-line-planes.html)

Lee MRC 07-04-2004 11:04 AM

>049 control line planes?

I have 3 (three) new .049 Cox engines set up for remote fuel tanks and would sure like to utilize one or more in a control line plane. I have been looking at the possibility of just designing and building a high and low wing craft (1 of each) but that is a lot of trouble, HI. I presently fly some control line and WAY BACK in the late 50's-early 60's I flew a lot of control line combat. I am way too old for that now but I would still like to fly some line control along with my RC. And I can fly them in the park about 3 blocks from the house.

My question is, does anyone have any suggestions for a kit or plans that would satisfy the above requirements?

I have plenty of time to build, but do not want to invest a hudge amount of time in any 1 plane because I would rather fly instead.

If any one would be so kind as to suggest a kit or plans you can "e mail" me at [email protected]. Any and all comments will sure be appreciated.

Thanks to all and remember, "fly the airplane first"..

73 Lee K5MRC

William Robison 07-04-2004 11:11 AM

RE: >049 control line planes?

Lee:

Tow suggestions:

The "Skyray" (Sig?) is an easy quick build. all sheet, mildly aerobatic.

The "Deweybird" takes a little longer, built up wing with tissue covering, and a box fuselage. Flies about the same as the Skyray.

Both are (were?) available as kits.

Bill.

telmore 07-04-2004 11:15 AM

Plans here:

http://uk.geocities.com/[email protected]/

Tony

Jim Thomerson 07-04-2004 11:19 AM

Brodak has several good profile 1/2A kits, including the Baby Flitestreak. RSM has the 1/2A Oriental (previously known as Pinto), a nice full fuselage model. The Corehouse has the Lil' Hacker, a good flying foam wing design, maybe exactly what you want.

Jim

Lee MRC 07-04-2004 11:49 AM

Thanks guys I will check these out and look forward to other suggestions. Boy I love this place!

Lee MRC 07-07-2004 10:02 AM

Do any of you know if any one offers a "kit" or plans for a .049 ringmaster? I would sure like to have another one of those as I flew an 035. size in the past and allways wanted an 049. But as a kid also into "Ham" radio, with VERY limited funds, could never save up enough money HIHI.

Buy the way I checked out the above suggested site but could not figure how to find pricing or ordering info, what did I not "get" about how to navigate the site. Just too darned old? HIHI.

If anyone has specific info you can also "e" me at [email protected], I some times find it hard to return to this post, but I am getting better at it. I think one must get aquainted with the site before you can navigate reliably within it.

Sorry about the spelling , but I am from TEXAS HIHI.

fly the airplane first

73 Lee K5MRC

Lightfoot 07-07-2004 12:52 PM

I have plans for a 1/2A Cobra stunt ship. You can see a copy of the plans on my web page although the quality is not very good. The original drawing is ink on mylar and makes great copies.

DoubleUgly 07-07-2004 02:03 PM

Try this site they offer a lot of kits and the price is not bad either; I have bought both of my lightning streaks both Baby and Jr. and their service can not be beat.

http://www.virginiahobbysport.com/kits.htm

Good luck with the 1/2 flying they have proven to me to be like most things small and having critical mass it does not take much to upset them. Kinda hard on the beginner but I guess you have to start somewhere.

Fix-it 07-07-2004 06:55 PM

Grap a copy of Flying Models magazine and check the plans listing. Dick Sarpolous has done a series of 1/2 A profile planes, most designed for the Tee-Dee, but they will fly with the engines you have. They are quick to build and look great. Welcome back!

Lee MRC 07-09-2004 09:34 AM

Hey guys, Thanks for all the info. I just ordered three of the 1 ounce fule tanks from Tower and am really looking at the "baby flight streak" fron virginia, thanks for that site info.

I just had a hudge brain fa%t we need a forum here that people can list known companys that have web sites that cater to the industry/hobby/compulsion. Kind of like the site aberviations forum for this site? Anyone know how to suggest it to RC? That info would sure be helpful to me as anyone can easily ascertain!

Once again thanks for taking the time to assist an old, crippled fa#t.

I check this several times a day and it is not a dead post.

Please excuse the spelling but I am from TEXAS, HIHI.

fly the airplane first

73 Lee K5MRC

Fix-it 07-09-2004 09:18 PM

Check out the "Where to find what you want " thread that is anchored at the top of this forum listing. It has a bunch of great links - just what you are suggesting. Good Luck !

iskandar taib 07-12-2004 10:05 PM

The Platter!

http://www.aeromaniacs.com

green river rc 07-22-2004 09:29 PM

Do you have a scrap box? If you do just start hacking and see what you can come up with. I built this model today on my day off. I haven't flown it yet, but will as soon as the weather breaks. I plan to call it the "Sweat Bee". What ever you do, just have fun with it and don't take it to serious. Good luck.

green river rc 07-22-2004 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OOPS! forgot to stick the picture:D

Lee MRC 07-27-2004 11:23 AM

Green river rc is that a kit or did you just build it? It looks to have a ringmaster wing and fus. and a flight streak vertical stabalizer, not a bad combo. Looks good thanks for the help.

73 Lee K5MRC

green river rc 07-27-2004 06:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's not a kit, it's just something I came up with. It's not hard to scratch build a decent 1/2A c/l plane, just try not to think about it to hard as you build. It turned out to be a pretty good flyer too, I changed the Black Widows tank to a wedge type (homemade also). I haven't flew it with the new tank yet. Here's another shot with all the graphics and the tank mods. I also made the handle in the picture.

50+AirYears 08-01-2004 07:27 PM

I think the 1/2 A Baby Ringmaster is being kitted by Estes. They bought out the Sterling line several years ago. They've got a number of other 1/2A kits as well.

green river rc 08-01-2004 09:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just got finished with one today, it took about a weeks worth of evenings to build, and most of the wood came from my scrap box. Although it's powered by a Norvel .061 and not a Cox, it's built pretty much the same as my Cox powered SWEAT BEE except larger. We had a household contest to name it and my 8 year old son (flys C/L and R/C) came up with TRICK STAR, so that's what we are going to call it. Flys pretty good, has adjustable lead outs and flys on .012"x 35' cables. I ordered some .008"x 42" from Brodak, it's fast on the 35' lines. I always try to encourage folks to build rather than buy, I think you will learn as much from crashing a scratch built plane as being successesful with a store bought plane. Good luck.