RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Control Lines (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/)
-   -   Scientific Zig Zag plans (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/control-lines-231/7801939-scientific-zig-zag-plans.html)

build light 08-02-2008 10:17 PM

Scientific Zig Zag plans

1 Attachment(s)
I am looking for a full size profile view of the Scientific Zig Zag to obtain the actual size and shape of the fuselage and more importantly the Fin and rudder shapes in order to make my own.
This was my first truly successful C/L model for me and I want another.

Black Hawk models has a kit for sale and has the Walter Musciano seal of approval but the fin and rudder are different for an unexplained reason.

Does someone have the build instructions that shows the profile of this plane? I would so like to have a scan of this If I could to print out on my printer.

Here is a link showing the Black Hawk models version:
http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/zigzag.html

Robert

gcb 08-03-2008 08:12 AM

RE: Scientific Zig Zag plans

ORIGINAL: build light

Black Hawk models has a kit for sale and has the Walter Musciano seal of approval but the fin and rudder are different for an unexplained reason.

Robert
Robert,

Some of Walt's wonders went through redesign as balsa got more expensive. The wings were made thinner, and they were fitted with more current engines. I believe that Black Hawk uses the later versions.

One example of this is the "Little Bipe". I currently have two of the later ones. The plan shows a Cox Babe Bee engine in it. When I had my first Little Bipe back in the fifties, it had a OK Cub in it. The Babe Bee had not been invented at that time, and it had thicker wings.

That said, you might want to specify the earlier version.

Sorry, I have never built the Zig Zag and don't have the plans.

George

build light 08-03-2008 11:09 AM

The picture I show is on all the boxes that were made by Scientific. My model looked just like the picture but the wing was only 1/8" thick. It was bought in the mid 1970s about '74-'75.
The rudder ( as shown in the ad) extended down the back of the fuselage and of course had to have a cut out for the elevator.

The one used by Black Hawk models is simply a fin on top of the fuse with no actual rudder behind it. I am sure it serves its function well and it looks good too. However, the Black Hawk model version just does not appeal to me at all. To me it isin't really the same plane somehow. Forgive me for being picky but it must have been the shape of the fin/rudder that drew me to this model in the first place. As simple as the model is this is the only thing that gives it any style aside from the open cockpit. Well, The decals do as well and the sharp contrast of the banding on the wings but that is just paint.

The rudder/fin change is a styling difference which my personal taste does not approve. Like if you were to take a '57 Bel Air and put '59 ford fins in place of the original. All else being the same, it just wouldn't be the same.

I know that I am able to order the plan directly from Mr. Musciano but I don't want to bother this good man over something so trivial (except to me).

My search goes on...

Robert

ggeezer 08-03-2008 06:44 PM

Hi Robert,
Check for a PM from me.

Orv.

Green Dragon 12-01-2011 12:02 PM

Hello,

newbie to the site / forum .... actually found the forum while searching for Zig-Zag plans myself.

Ihave a built-up from the scientific kit I purchased in the mid 70's.

the tail ( rudder / fin _has been smashed and missing, so looking for that info.

Anything on this ever turn up ?

also, if anyone needs tracing / patterns or photos, let me know.

~ AL

(just got back into C/Lflying after 25 years away.. wish me luck, lol )

xby-1 12-01-2011 05:04 PM

<span style="font-family: "Times New Roman"; color: black; font-size: 12pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-ansi-language: EN-US; mso-fareast-language: EN-US; mso-bidi-language: AR-SA">Not sure if this is still valid but a couple of years ago Currell Pattie had all the plans, 586 781-6394, <font color="#000000">[email protected]</font></span>