Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

CRASHED PLANE FROM EG MODELS DUE TO FLUTTER

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 10:41 AM
splinter
My Feedback: (64)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CRASHED PLANE FROM EG MODELS DUE TO FLUTTER

I recently purchased a 50 CC Yak from Chief Aircraft manufactured by EG Models from their Slipstream Line

I followed the limited instuctions ( 3 pages of pictures) but had to rely on my 20+ years building experience to build this plane.

My maiden flight lasted less than 90 seconds, the left aileron suffered violent flutter ( the aileron's were sealed with clear monocote) Servos were Hitec HS-5675 digitals. the wood servo box failed and was no longer in the plane. The plane was not saveable.

I've lost my share of planes over the years, some pilot error, some mistakes in building and feel I am always learning. This time I felt differently. I used the Heavy Duty red nylon arms that come with these servos to attach to the metal arms that are supplied with this ARF. I spoke with HITEC and they didn't see a problem using the servo heads in this matter. Again there are no directions to follow.

For the first time since being in the hobby I complained to the seller, I contacted Chief Aircraft and spoke with the manager Dana Blix.

At his request I sent pictures of the crash and parts of the plane.

His response has been a huge disappointment. His claim that only metal servo heads should have been used and they nor the manufacturer are not responsible. Again the directions with the plane don't address any type of servo heads

Actually they might have convinced me except while looking for a replacement for my purchase I came upon Pilot RC which Chief Aircraft sells. The directions for their 50 CC Yak clearly shows in the pictures of the directions using the white plastic wheel that comes with a HITEC servo. They have you attach that to a white plastic servo arm that Pilot RC supplies

So I guess their argument that all 50 CC planes and larger need to be built with metal arms is an excuse not to make good on their products The servo heads used by the Pilot RC planes aren't even Heavy Duty and I would only use these maybe on a small electric.

I'm writing this to warn others of this product and the poor response I've received from Chief Aircraft. They clearly do not stand behind their products and try to blame the customer for the products failure

I am writing this for others to comment and if anyone has had a similiar experience

Bill Walter

Naples
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65619.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	1503409  
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2010, 11:39 AM
scale only 4 me
My Feedback: (158)

Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: CRASHED PLANE FROM EG MODELS DUE TO FLUTTER

Why are you focused on what servo horns were used if the servo box is what failed?

I'd like to see a picture of the linkage set up

How fast were you going when the flutter occurred?
Old 09-19-2010, 12:24 PM
exeter_acres
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cannot find any specs on an HS-5675

even on the Hitec site...
Old 09-19-2010, 01:19 PM
splinter

Actually I'm not focused on the servo horn at all. Chief Aircraft was to the point I had to send in the opposite arm for them to examine .

I've enclosed a picture of the other arm, the left one was lost when the box was torn out. Since it was first flight I was at approx half throttle w/ a DA 50 I went into my first downwind leg and the flutter was visable from a good distance. I cut the throttle way down but the damage was already done the alieron was flapping in the breeze. I had no control at all.

P.S. I'M SORRY I GAVE YOU GUYS THE WRONG HITEC SERVO # IT'S// HS-5645 THE DIGITAL VERSION OF THE METAL GEAR 645 SERVO MORE THAN ADEQUATE.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us53468.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	1503491   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40570.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	1503492  
Old 09-19-2010, 02:27 PM
scale only 4 me

That servo is fine for that app.

Your picture is a little fussy so it's hard to tell, but it sure looks like the aileron horn is kinda short,,, that could be the problem.
IMO, You always want the servo horn as short as possible and the control surface horn as long as possible,

p.s.
I use the nylon horns on that size plane all the time,, that's BS them saying you need aluminum/metal horns
Old 09-20-2010, 01:54 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not that surprised at the response you got, they cannot just replace a plane every-time someone complains and they have no way to check your experience either.

I don't quite understand what happened though. You got flutter and that tore the whole servobox out of the wing, then the servo was doing its job while someone didn't put the glue in the right place before covering the wing?
Old 10-16-2010, 11:23 AM
nevio p

Hello sad to hear about your bad experience. Frankly have never heard of flutter tearing out a servo box.
Flutter usually occurs when there is a large gap between control surfaces or when the linkage to the servo has a lot of play or both.
I am a little worried hearing your story since I just ordered the same model yesterday.
Italian vendors always reccomend you going over glue points particularly in high stress areas.
Quality control in China is not always that good.
I have a Slipstream Sbach 30cc size and cannot complain. It is well built and has been reliable. Then again I power my planes with electric motors.
I will certainly check my new plane once it arrives.[]
Old 10-17-2010, 06:11 PM
bjor

I'm not sure the OP was blaming the flutter on the servo being ripped out of the box. I think he is saying that the servo box failed - hense the plane had no aileron - hense the flutter. He is rightly trying to make a claim through the manufacturer but the manufacturer is blaming the type of servo horn he has used. The Hitec servo's specified for this application are more than enough for a 50cc plan and the horns supplied should be totally adequate. I think he has a right to make his point - If it were me I would be equally peeved. Good luck with your claim.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:37 PM
Johnnie Red

IMO you have all the right of the world to claim the cost of the purchase. This is a typical failure of non glued servo box. It happens a lot in the chinese products.......
Quality control is in big jeopardy nowdays.....(I do not think that chinese manufacturers give a dime on Q.C........)
Good luck with your claim-endeavours with the licencee of the product.....
Old 10-19-2010, 02:19 PM
scale only 4 me

The lack of quality on some ARFs is really ridiculous,
A club member recently assembles a Gold Wing R/C 50cc s-12 Pitts, a couple days ago after the 7th flight we noticed the wing tube sleeve coming loose and cracked ribs, He hadn't even started flying it hard yet,, $600 out the window.

I'll stick to building my own
Old 10-22-2010, 06:15 AM
flying skunks
My Feedback: (7)

here is a little insight ,
the servo arm that Bill sent in what he called the good servo arm to Chief Aircraft in Deland . Upon inspection of the red plastic arm that comes standard with a Hitec servo . The splines of that said " Good " were rounded off/Stripped ..There were many e-mails back and forth , even one where Bill accepted the fact that the flutter was in deed due to servo arm failure . There was also an e-mail from Bill Demanding that Chief Aircraft sell him a replacement kit for 50% off or He will post his little letter up on RCU bashing Chief . isn't that Blackmail ? If every company had to giveaway product for 50% off due to a consumer threatning them with Blackmail , there wouldn't be a company out there selling RC ..The quality of the EG Kits are of top notch , this failure is due to the cnsumer , not manufacturer .
yes I am VERY fimiliar with this issue with Bill .
Donnie
Old 10-28-2010, 06:34 AM
splinter

Of course it was stripped your plane suffered severe flutter and stripped both gear.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:11 PM
flying skunks

still a case of a person trying to strong arm a company , trying to get a plane for a mistake that was self-inflicted ..
Old 10-28-2010, 08:12 PM
buchtes

yes we complain about Q.C. in chinese Model Products or the lack there off, but we just keep buying the crap.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:14 PM
flying skunks

the thing is , it is of a good quality ..we have finished two of the EG kits in the past few weeks and find that they are built well, fly well , and are worth the moneys spent ..
Old 10-31-2010, 11:21 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

I'm confused as to how the servo box tore out if the servo arm was stripped? I do agree threatening with internet retribution is not the way to handle a claim.

The box failure does look suspicious. Poor balsa/ply/engineering?
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 AM
flying skunks

I believe that you will find that the box failed due to the ailerons fluttering , transfering the thrashing to the servo box in the wings ..flutter is a MEAN beast , it can cause a plane to become a blir right in front of your eyes ..
Old 11-04-2010, 03:24 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From my experience the E.G. planes are excellent in quality. I have had my OMP (E.G.) Yak 55 for over a year and have plenty of hard, hard flights on it.

I did not, however, use the supplied metal servo arm extensions. I felt that using them and small bolts on plastic arms was not a wise idea and replaced them all with MPI aluminum arms. However, the manual clearly tells you to use the included hardware.

I wonder why he lost control after the incident? I have had the arm fall off one of the aileron servos on this plane once (my fault, should have checked them more often) and it was flapping in the breeze. The plane handled weird, but was flyable and landed safely.