Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Help with Fuselage repair-Ultra Stick 40

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Help with Fuselage repair-Ultra Stick 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 06:31 AM
phakur
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with Fuselage repair-Ultra Stick 40

Wellon the maiden of my new Ustick 40 (electric) the prop came loose and the plane "landed" and ended up with the landing gear torn off (no biggie hereI can repair that pretty easily) but the fuselage cracked right at the last bulkhead right before where the tail feathers attach and that short tail section of the fuse is destroyed. It was a pretty clean break and the tail feathers survived with essentially no damage. I will need to remove the remaining wood on the stab where the stab was glued to the fuse, but I think my dremel will be able to sand that down pretty well.

My question is about the fuse. I have never repaired a fuse damaged like this although it seems straightforward. But, since it broke off right at the bulkhead, I have nothing to attach new wood to, other than the bulkead and that doesn't seem strong enough to me. I have some lite 1/8 ply I can use as well as a fair amount of scrap balsa laying around.

What is the best approach to fuse repair near the tail? Should I cut into good wood in front of the bulkhead? Should I use stringers? I just don't know how to attach new wood to the bulkhead and make it strong.

Thanks for the advice.

Larry

Old 12-21-2010, 06:47 AM
Sir_Sparksalot
My Feedback: (8)

Default RE: Help with Fuselage repair-Ultra Stick 40

Hello Larry,
I have had a bit of experience with this kind of thing/repair.
If it is possible, please upload a picture or two. If you can I think I can give clearer direction on the repair.
Sincerely, Eric
Old 12-21-2010, 07:36 AM
phakur

Eric-

I can post some pics tonite (if I can figure out howI have tried on this forum before with both small and larger photos without success) but if youwabnt, you can take a quick look a th the horizon site on searching ultra sticks and look at the fuse pics. The part that has broken off can be seen in this pic (not the same size plane, but the pic works) http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=EFL4027
as the end of the fuse where the groove on the top of the fuse is. That groove begins right at a bulkhead.

BTWif you can advise what to do after uploading a photo (I upload) and then try and preview and I don't see the photo) please let me know.

Larry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xu62639.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	1536846  
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Fd91248.jpg (64 Bytes, 17 views)
Old 12-21-2010, 07:38 AM
phakur

Oh my-I guess the photo stuff magically appearsmy bad

Larry
Old 12-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Sir_Sparksalot
My Feedback: (8)

Larry,
The first thing to do is to remove the covering. I assume you have already done this to inspect the damage.
If the bulkhead is solid you might be able to use some triangle stock cut to fit against the bulkhead, and at the same level as the existing broken plywood that formerly formed the fuse.
Once you do this you can attach the repaired tail section to this built up area.
It would not hurt to also carefully cut some slots on either side of the existing fuse that is not damaged, maybe 1/2 in wide, and do the same to the damaged tail section. By doing this you can glue the tail section back on, with the slots lined up, and then use a piece of plywood the same thickness in the slot you had cut out. This will give greater strength to the repair and will help to avoid the same, or a similar, break in the future.
I hope this is of help. I have to do a similar repair on my Ultrastick with a glow engine on it. It has broken in the same spot a few times. I think it is time to strip it down and recover it anyway. It has more than just a couple of years on it. I love the plane though, and am more than just a little reluctant to dispose of it. Especially when I know I can fix it.
One thing to keep in mind, of great importance, is to make sure that when you reattach the tail section is that it is straight with the rest of the fuse. A simple way to do this is to push a push pin into the top of the fuse at the center point of the fire wall, on the top of the fuse. Attach a string to the push pin. Stretch the string out to either side of the horizontal stabilizer. If the measurements match, the tail section should be straight. This step is critical. If the tail is not straight, the plane will turn to one side or the other any time you give up elevator input. A REAL bummer.
Success to you!
Sincerely, Eric Hanson