Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Crash & Rebuild
Reload this Page >

Too low and Too slow

Community
Search
Notices
Crash & Rebuild Post your crash stories, pictures and if you want to document your rebuild you can do that here too!

Too low and Too slow

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2002, 12:56 AM
PieGuy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too low and Too slow

I've been flying for about 4 months now and have had several "close calls" as well as a lot of bumpy landings. Monday I went out to the feild and there was only 1 other plane flying so I figured I could get a lot of touch and go's in. I had flown for 5-6 tanks when I lost my muffler. I had a dead stick and went to get the plane and the muffler was gone. I went to the local hobby shop and bought a new one and headed back to the field. I got 2 more fligh in doing more touch and go's whe I came in too slow and too low the left wing dipped I gave it full throtle and tried to get it to climb but the ground reached up and grabbed it. All I saw when it hit the ground was 2 halves of wings bounce about 10 ft in the air. I knew it would happen sooner or later. I've got a 4*60 almost ready to ultracote so I won't be grounded long. The plane was a Thunder Tiger World Trainer. It "WAS" a great trainer and real tough.
Old 08-20-2002, 06:25 AM
Starpoint
My Feedback: (5)

how bad was it damaged I am looking for parts. I crashed my world trainer last week totaled the nose.
Old 08-20-2002, 08:41 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

One of the things that is hard to learn is that for many planes, you want to land, one or two clicks, above idle then transition to idle once the wheels are down.
Old 08-20-2002, 12:32 PM
PieGuy-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Originally posted by Starpoint
how bad was it damaged I am looking for parts. I crashed my world trainer last week totaled the nose.
All that was left was the tail and I gave it to the trash gods.
Old 09-13-2002, 05:18 AM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

They are good trainers that is what I am using to train my sons.
Old 09-13-2002, 12:33 PM
Crashem

Is this the same as the thunder tiger 40 MkII that used to come with the Hitec focus 4 radio I got one about 4 years ago and it was a great plane. I had a slight mishap flying between trees (depth perception problem) and flew straight through one. destroyed the wing broke needle valve Fuse in pretty good shape. One of my best crashes plane was going full bore went through tree and continued on for about 50ft without a wing before lawn darting. Only problem I had with the thunder tiger was cost of replacement parts the whole plane costs 99.00 so how is it the wing is like 80.00. Trashed it and went on to a WM super sports. and H9 cub replacement parts on the H9 cub seem fairly reasonable window kit 6.00 Cowl 14.00 havent priced wing or fuse.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:08 PM
KCFlyBoy
My Feedback: (12)

Many times you are better off price wise to replace the complete plane than buy components. It should not be that way but that is how it is.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:27 PM
Crashem

Yeah KC,

It usually makes sense to replace the whole plane or scratch build the replacement parts.

I was just thinking wouldn't it be great if a manufacturer charged a "fair" price for trianner replacement parts. They would probably corner the market . Since most trianners go through at least one rekitting. Look at this from a business prespective Kit 99.00
Fuse 30-40 Wing 30-40 tail feathers 10-20 I could see a lot of repeat business here. I retired my TT 40 trianner and replaced it with another manufactures kit because I was annoyed at the cost of the wing vs entire plane. No repeat business here. on the other hand I ask before I buy what replacement parts cost now.

Just seems that ARF manufactures might want to look at the Radio industry I mean I own mostly Airtronics gear cause the initial price was good and now I have built up such an inventory of components it just makes sense to stick with them. I realize models are different but the same ideas apply.
Old 09-13-2002, 06:58 PM
teleplayr

Default Re: Too low and Too slow

Originally posted by PieGuy
I came in too slow and too low the left wing dipped I gave it full throtle and tried to get it to climb but the ground reached up and grabbed it.
You may know this already, but firewalling the throttle is probably what caused this to happen - well, what caused it to be a lot worse than it could.

Your left wing was already dipping, now you add full throttle which induces a left torque, further compounding the left dip problem. To fight it you probably added right aileron, which may have caused the left wing to completely stall. Full throttle with a stalled wing = snap roll.

So, to save your next plane the same fate, be gentle with throttle at low speed/altitude and learn to use the rudder instead of aileron when low and slow. Last time I flew I did nothing but rudder practice. We all can use it.

-Joe